What's ur Best Marriage Advice

Options
So in 3 months I will be married. You always hear the horrible stuff but that's not what I am here for. With that being said I am looking for the besy marriage advice from some happily married people. It would be nice to have it before a rocky road or bad time occurs. So I am all ears........

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am VERY happily married. I married my BEST friend and we have been together for 10 years and married for over 9 years. The very best advice I can give you is....

Do NOT go to bed angry. So many couples make the mistake of pulling the silent treatment or storming off and not coming back to talk it out. You HAVE to talk it out. Even if that means staying up until 4 in the morning. Don't sleep on it, talk on it.

Most importantly, keep God at the center of your relationship. If you fight, say a prayer together and it will calm you both down and you can both know how the other feels they need help.

Another thing....
    In the middle of the fight, get naked and demand sex. It will confuse the CRAP out of your husband and he will look like a deer in headlights, but will go along with it anyways....because he's a dude. ;)

Congrats on your marriage, may you have endless years of love, bliss and adventure!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    1. Take divorce off the table
    2. Get some premarital counseling, talk to him about potential areas of conflict before you even get married
    3. Keep it fresh/interesting/exciting.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Open communication. Talk about EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING.

And flirt.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Open communication. Talk about EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING.

And flirt.

I agree with this!!
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    DONT DO IT.
    no im kidding...i really wouldnt know since im not married.
    But i would guess like everyone else said...just communication. The second you stop communicating in ANY sort of realtionship it takes a hit.

Good Luck & Happy Marriage!! :):heart:
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    I am VERY happily married. I married my BEST friend and we have been together for 10 years and married for over 9 years. The very best advice I can give you is....

Do NOT go to bed angry. So many couples make the mistake of pulling the silent treatment or storming off and not coming back to talk it out. You HAVE to talk it out. Even if that means staying up until 4 in the morning. Don't sleep on it, talk on it.

Most importantly, keep God at the center of your relationship. If you fight, say a prayer together and it will calm you both down and you can both know how the other feels they need help.

Another thing....
    In the middle of the fight, get naked and demand sex. It will confuse the CRAP out of your husband and he will look like a deer in headlights, but will go along with it anyways....because he's a dude. ;)

Congrats on your marriage, may you have endless years of love, bliss and adventure!

Love the "ANother thing" :happy:
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Sort of simple, but love is an action, and getting along takes work. Grace, lots of it, and always remembering that your not perfect either.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Another thing....

Haha this is pretty true.

My marriage had some rough times last year and I let distractions get the best of me. Now that I'm focused again, we are back on the right track and back to keeping it fresh and fun, being honest and loyal, and not letting the little things ruin a whole day. Always communicate your wants and needs and make sure you understand theirs as well. ♥
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say "Never go to bed angry" which is something my uncle told me when I got married.

Communication is really key. Don't expect he's going to know what you're thinking. Trust me, he doesn't. Also don't assume you know what he's thinking because you will often be surprised. Even after 27 years together, and 23 years of my marriage my husband manages to surprise me with what's in his head. :laugh:
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Woops.
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    talk talk TALK!!! i met my husband in the states while he was visiting family and we did the long distance thing for 2 years (hes a brit) and thats the best way ever! it forces you to talk about everything!!! if you cant communicate you cant have a relationship, communication both verbal and non :)

i agree with a poster above, NEVER GO TO BED ANGRY!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, success in marriage has a lot to do with choosing well in the first place. Over time, know that things change, so stay flexible. Most marriages have good times and bad times, when you are talking about decades together. And I like this quote from Benjamin Franklin: “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.”
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    "Sex is the glue that holds a marriage together."--B. L., my older, married cousin. She gave this advice to me at my bridal shower. It still makes me giggle.
  • Jeaniehop
    Jeaniehop Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There are NO secrets! My husband and I tell each other EVERYTHING. Be painfully honest if you have to be, I have been with my husband for almost 14 years and I am only 30 we still gab like girls lol he is my best friend in the whole world.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Been married since 1978 (34yrs.). For the last 10 years, Separate houses. We get along great, now. :laugh:
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been married 27 yrs. I say be honest and talk and actually listen to each other.I still tell my wife I love her after every phone call and every time I leave the house. We survived 20 yrs of military life and a lot of deployments. Never take each other for granted!! Best of luck!!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Another thing....

Love the "ANother thing" :happy:

It's the most fun too!! Just the look of bewilderment on his face like..."What the?? Well, ok"
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Dont expect the other person to think like you or be a nind reader.
    If asked if something is wrong and something is wrong do not say "nothing"
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    NEVER GO TO BED ANGRY!!

Yeah, stay up and fight! just kidding.

but the talking about almost everything is good advice
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    "Sex is the glue that holds a marriage together."--B. L., my older, married cousin. She gave this advice to me at my bridal shower. It still makes me giggle.

It's a cute quote but it is also 100% TRUE! I find that I can't have sex unless we have talked out any issues that were on the table previously. So, having the goal of having sex often means that in order to do that, we HAVE to talk first!
    Because, as others have said, communication is the biggest thing. Take it from someone who didn't do that in my first marriage...and paid the price for it.
    Best of luck! ;o)