What's ur Best Marriage Advice

Options

Replies

• crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Been living with my fiance for 9 and a half years, engaged since our 5-year anniversary and living together since Day 1. (long story)

Communication is everything. I don't keep anything from him. He knows what I do and where I go all day, every day. I recently found a quote from the world's longest married couple (I believe they've been married 84 years):

"Everyone who plants a seed and harvests the crop celebrates together. We are individuals, but accomplish more together. Remember marriage is not a contest -- never keep a score. God has put the two of you together on the same team to win."

Always remember that you are making a vow in front of your family and friends that you are joined as one person, one team. When one wins, both win, and when one loses, both work to recover from it. Nothing is "mine" or "yours". It's "ours".

Your wedding isn't a destination, it's the starting line. So many young girls focus so hard on getting someone to marry them that they don't even think about their marriage.

Congratulations and good luck! Just the fact that you've made this thread at all means you're way ahead!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Women want to be loved and adored and men want to be respected. That pretty much somes it up.

Married 23 years and both very happy.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Open communication. Talk about EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING.

And flirt.

I agree with this!!

Best advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Treat each other well! Cut your partner some slack when they don't - it happens to all of us sometimes.

Talk openly.

Do not have unrealistic expectations that all will be roses and easy for your entire marriage. You will disagree. You will probably fight. You will probably not like each other, sometimes perhaps for a few weeks or months at a time. Just choose love and be patient.
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Laugh together! If you can laugh together you can survive the toughest times.
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There are NO secrets! My husband and I tell each other EVERYTHING. Be painfully honest if you have to be, I have been with my husband for almost 14 years and I am only 30 we still gab like girls lol he is my best friend in the whole world.

So true!!!! No lies and no secrets! Even about petty stuff! B/c if you can lie about something small, then you can lie about something big too!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Just keep putting out, and he'll keep coming around.
  • onehotgirl
    onehotgirl Posts: 120
    Options
    Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff :happy: :happy:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    We say Grace before we have a meal together and thank God for bringing us together one more day, and for all the good things in our life. Helps keep us focused on the positive, and cherish each other. You never know when your last day on earth is, so I try to be grateful for all that we have and see the big picture of things.

Another thing is, always be sweet and extra sweet to him/her whenever possible. There were many times that I would have totally snapped on him or given in to a bad mood and said negative things at him, but then I remembered something he did for me, or said to me, or a way he reacted that was extra kind, and it killed whatever anger or negativity was about to start like a bucket of water on fire.... so Be Sweet, it will come back on you tenfold. Heehee.

<3 Best of luck!
  • chelbel89
    chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Married almost 19 years. My parents have been married 45 years. Their parents were married until death. So I've learned a few things along the way.

1. If you wouldn't marry him if he was broke/heavy/ etc then don't marry him. Looks change. Finances change. Marry because you know you will love him as much when he's a saggy 80yo as you do today.

2. Do little things to let him know you love him. I pinch my hubby's big toes. I leave a note in the morning on weekends to say that coffee is all set up. There are a lot more but see #3.

3. Keep some private cute things you do/say. My dad calls my mom WW. They won't tell us what it stands for. Hubby and I sign notes with ILYAYMBF! (It means I love you and you're my best friend! -- something kid 2 used to say) but while I did just post it here when I sign it to him in an email no one else knows what it means.

4. Have fun together. One of my fondest memories of my parents is my dad chasing my mom down the hallway tickling her and she was running away giggling. Your spouse should be your best friend. Act it.

5. I disagree on the "never go to bed angry" rule. Sometimes you are just dang tired and ticked off and have to get up early. Sometimes just sleeping on it will make you realize that he had a good point or it wasn't hat big of a deal in the first place. If not, you can always continue to discuss it later.

6. Never sleep apart unless there is no option. Obviously, if one of you travels for work it's not an option. But if you are angry you should still sleep in the same bed. Don't move yourself or him to the guest room or couch. It's easy to move apart, it's not so easy to move back together.

7. No matter how angry you are, don't yell. You are both adults and should be able to have a rational conversation even if you disagree. Hubby grew up in a family where his dad yelled a lot. When we were first married we got into an argument. He started yelling. I stood up, walked up the stairs, and stood as far away from him as I could while still being able to see each other. He asked what I was doing. I told him that if he wanted to have an adult conversation I'd come back down but if he was going to yell I'd at least give him a reason to have to yell so he could be heard. We've never yelled at each other since.

8. Realize that even though it's a partnership, it won't always be 50/50. Sometimes it will be 90/10 and sometimes it will be 10/90.

9. Know all the important things about each other before getting married. How many kids do you want? How long do you want to be married before starting a family? Will one of you be an at home parent? Where will you spend holidays? Know each other's spending habits. etc

10. Above all, never, ever mention the D word unless you absolutely, positively mean it.

^ This. Absolutely this. And sexy lingerie on occasion. :blushing:
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Going on 12 years of marriage and my best advice is to trust and grow in GOD and read the Bible - everything you need.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Make time for each other. When life is crazy, when kids come along, whatever = make time for each other privately, mentally and physically.

Feel close.

Don't go to bed on a fight.

Be honest about Money.
  • tinahamel
    Options
    I have been married 27 yrs, together almost 30. It is important to remember the two of you think differently and there is nothing wrong with that - it is what makes you such a good team. Embrace your uniqueness and read this book "Men Are Like Waffles--Women Are Like Spaghetti: Understanding and Delighting in Your Differences".

I agree 100% with never go to bed angry and don’t use the silent treatment. We also have a rule about agreeing to disagree (we think differently, there are going to be things you do not agree on). AND vital, when obstacles present themselves (jobs, family members, friends, children etc), remember to ALWAYS make couple time. Make your relationship a priority. I am not saying to not have girls only night or six kids, just remember to keep couple time on the schedule, don’t let it slip to the backburner.

The secret: at least one of you has to actively be loving the other at all times – be careful not to let the love tank empty at the same time. Just like a cars gas tank it will fill and empty as time progresses, you have to remember to keep fueling it.

Congratulations on the marriage! :love:
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    I'll be married for four years in May, and I think one of the very important things is to still take time to do stuff for yourself. (each of you) Let him hang out w/ the guys, you go out with the girls. That kinda thing. It's good for you both!

Secondly, don't let anyone else get involved in any of your issues. If you've got something going on in your life, don't tell your parents/sisters/girlfriends, etc.......b/c then they'll view your spouse as a bad guy and sometimes that causes conflicts amongst you and your spouse, and your family!

Good luck approaching the day! I know this part gets hectic! Congrats!!
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    1. Take divorce off the table

2. Never put it (divorce) back (on the table).
    3. Love is the only "emotion" that is also a VERB - it is a choice. Chose each day to LOVE your spouse unconditionally.
    4. Put God in the middle of your marriage. My husband & I didn't get this at first, but the last 10 years have been much better than the first 10 thanks to following the example of Christ.

Best wishes for your new lifelong adventure!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Something I forgot.

Remember your manners.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My advice? Don't listen to all the advice people give you. Every ounce of their advice is based on their own respective situations and experiences.

My husband and I have broken so many peoples rules, and we're still here to tell the tale. Together 12 years and married for 5 years. We go to bed angry, yell if we need to, and ignore each other if need be. We are still a very strong and loving relationship. I have no fear that in another decade I'll still say the same thing. Because even if he makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes, I still find myself running up behind him and tickling him like we're 14 years old still.

So my advice is to marry your best friend. Keep being childish with each other. Never let go of that. It's what will keep your relationship strong. The laughter. If he doesn't make you laugh: get out now.
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Married almost 19 years. My parents have been married 45 years. Their parents were married until death. So I've learned a few things along the way.

1. If you wouldn't marry him if he was broke/heavy/ etc then don't marry him. Looks change. Finances change. Marry because you know you will love him as much when he's a saggy 80yo as you do today.

2. Do little things to let him know you love him. I pinch my hubby's big toes. I leave a note in the morning on weekends to say that coffee is all set up. There are a lot more but see #3.

3. Keep some private cute things you do/say. My dad calls my mom WW. They won't tell us what it stands for. Hubby and I sign notes with ILYAYMBF! (It means I love you and you're my best friend! -- something kid 2 used to say) but while I did just post it here when I sign it to him in an email no one else knows what it means.

4. Have fun together. One of my fondest memories of my parents is my dad chasing my mom down the hallway tickling her and she was running away giggling. Your spouse should be your best friend. Act it.

5. I disagree on the "never go to bed angry" rule. Sometimes you are just dang tired and ticked off and have to get up early. Sometimes just sleeping on it will make you realize that he had a good point or it wasn't hat big of a deal in the first place. If not, you can always continue to discuss it later.

6. Never sleep apart unless there is no option. Obviously, if one of you travels for work it's not an option. But if you are angry you should still sleep in the same bed. Don't move yourself or him to the guest room or couch. It's easy to move apart, it's not so easy to move back together.

7. No matter how angry you are, don't yell. You are both adults and should be able to have a rational conversation even if you disagree. Hubby grew up in a family where his dad yelled a lot. When we were first married we got into an argument. He started yelling. I stood up, walked up the stairs, and stood as far away from him as I could while still being able to see each other. He asked what I was doing. I told him that if he wanted to have an adult conversation I'd come back down but if he was going to yell I'd at least give him a reason to have to yell so he could be heard. We've never yelled at each other since.

8. Realize that even though it's a partnership, it won't always be 50/50. Sometimes it will be 90/10 and sometimes it will be 10/90.

9. Know all the important things about each other before getting married. How many kids do you want? How long do you want to be married before starting a family? Will one of you be an at home parent? Where will you spend holidays? Know each other's spending habits. etc

10. Above all, never, ever mention the D word unless you absolutely, positively mean it.

I agree with every single part of this! Married for 7 years together for 9. My hubby is "My Sexy Man" or "Honey Bunches of Oats" marriage is work, but shouldn't be hard work.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am not married yet and we are more than a year out. But we live as we are married and I call my fiance' my husband. We've been together for over three years and have been friends for years and years. One thing that I would suggest if to discuss (outside of a conflict) your conflict styles, how you fight, etc. We just recently did this and I feel our communication would have been so much more open if we'd discussed this much much sooner. Perception is everything! And often we perceive wrong. So discussing this up front and being open and honest about it can help you deal with conflict positively when it happens. because conflict will happen...you can't really prevent, but you can completely control how you handle it!
  • bjhadden
    bjhadden Posts: 120
    Options
    I got married at 18, I got preg, graduated, married and had my baby all the same year! I only knew him 6months! We will be celebrating 12yrs this yr, its NOT easy. And the best 2 advices I can give is 1. Love God and 2. NEVER give up!

This sounds a lot like us. I was 19 and had just left home. I only knew my husband for 3 weeks. We had an amazing date that ended in us sitting in his jeep with the top down watching the sunrise. At that moment he said let's get married and I said, "okay!" Here we are 10 & 1/2 years later with three wonderful children and very happy! We goof off a lot together and try to make each other laugh. Last night we had subway and he left his wrapper on the couch...when I saw it I was being a smartass and said, "were you saving this?" and he said, "yeah, can you put it on the fridge like the kids pictures?" later when he walked in the kitchen for a drink he saw the wrapper hung on the fridge and busted out laughing. Then we laughed for a long time about it. We just try to be each other's biggest support.