What's Really Making Us Fat? Its a interesting theory

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    So why are some people hungry all the time no matter how much they eat and other people eat just enough to stay slim and are not hungry all the time? Is hunger a psychological condition and does it or should it have no effect on actual eating behavior?
    Hunger causes people to overeat, but it's still the overeating that causes weight gain. You don't have to take that as offensive or blaming, it's just a fact. There are many causes for hunger besides your body needing food.

So even though hunger causes overeating which then causes weight gain, is hunger not important in treating or preventing obesity? Just doesn't make any sense to try to treat the effect (overeating) and not the cause (hunger).
    People overeat for more reasons than just hunger. They overeat out of boredom, habit, stress, etc.
    It is essentially the lack of self-control over quantity and quality that causes people to gain weight.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    So even though hunger causes overeating which then causes weight gain, is hunger not important in treating or preventing obesity? Just doesn't make any sense to try to treat the effect (overeating) and not the cause (hunger).
    I fail to see where anyone said we shouldn't consider the cause. Did I miss something?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    The calories in vs calories out will determine if you gain or lose.
    But it is interesting why some people are always hungry, give in to over-eating. You may need to have some self-control but not to such a huge extent every single time. Why do some people just never feel satisfied?
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    This is an interesting article! And there has to be a reason for the rash of new diabetics, and especially the late onset of Type 1 diabetes in people. The chemicals, or the genetic manipulation, or the chemical changes we are making to our foods really does play a deeper role than most assume.

I'm not sure how I feel about chemicals being the sole reason people are fat but your comment makes me call to mind the absolutely huge numbers of people ( women mostly) being diagnosed for autoimmune diseases.Lots of theories as to why this is happening and one is that it's from the long term effects of the chemicals in makeup, hair dyes, nail polish, etc..

It will be interesting to know what science will prove out in the future.
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Everything is chemical. The body breaks down what we eat via chemicals and then uses what's left in a chemical reaction to fuel us or store it. Makes sense that bad, outside chemicals could very well interfere with the chain of events. Though I wouldn't JUST blame chemicals form plastics they could certainly be factored in.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    I am scared of the chemicals :(

Okay. I'm lying.

I <3 them.

Probably some things interact/interfere with various cellular processes and cause who knows what kind of metabolic changes, but mostly, obesity is about chronic over-consumption of food.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Obesogens? REALLY? That was the best term they could come up with!?
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    224_big01.jpg

Metabolism is so simple... I can't imagine anything other than calories affecting it.

/sarcasm

You can see a larger version of this awesome Roche poster on the ExPasy server if interested: http://web.expasy.org/cgi-bin/pathways/show_thumbnails.pl
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Raspberry ketones counteract all other chemicals, problem solved.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 162 Member
    Here's my 2 cents:
    I believe that, yes, it IS about cals in/out. No, you do not have to eat "clean" to lose weight. The first time I lost weight (150+ pounds) I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, Equal, fat free foods, etc. I lost the weight and it wasn't until I started not counting calories and eating ( a lot) that I began to gain it back. This time I am counting calories and exercising (in/out), but I have gone completely "clean". Deciding to give up the chemicals that are in our food was not about losing weight, but about being and feeling healthier. Has it sped up my weight loss? No. I am losing at a nice rate, but it didn't necessarily speed it up. But do I feel better? Yes, I do feel better. Do I think chemicals in food has made people fat? I don't know that the chemicals themselves do that, but I think that food is so processed that it doesn't fill up some people, therefore resulting in them eating more and more. At least that is how I think it affected me.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    224_big01.jpg

Metabolism is so simple... I can't imagine anything other than calories affecting it.

/sarcasm

You can see a larger version of this awesome Roche poster on the ExPasy server if interested: http://web.expasy.org/cgi-bin/pathways/show_thumbnails.pl

I <3 this too. What a beautiful image. I will now stare at it for days.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    I <3 this too. What a beautiful image. I will now stare at it for days.

I'm glad I'm not the only one...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    chairstunt.gif

Oh my.
  • beecautious
    beecautious Posts: 21 Member
    several factors including poor food choices, portions, genetics, and more importantly not excercising...........thank MAN for the INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION.......a good thing gone bad.........
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    reading some of the comments...pretty funny. bottom line, what makes us fat is a combination of what EVERYONE is saying. There is no one reason :smile:
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    But physics are physics. Matter can neither be created or destroyed, just changed.

Einstein would like to have a word with you.
    </joke>

As to what makes us fat: well, I"m not going to say that some of the artificial chemicals in our food have NOTHING to do with it, but in large part the effects are marginal for those who eat normally (by normally I mean a balanced diet). A pop tart probably isn't going to kill you, and a trip to McDonald's once or twice isn't going to do any real harm.

It's only when you consume large amounts of these foods that issues arise. The ratio of processed to natural foods has to be pretty high before real problems start coming in, and they have to be pretty heavily processed as well (I mean like Taco Bell processed, not dehydrated milk processed). Do they CAUSE your body chemistry to change and retain more weight? The jury is out. At this moment it looks unlikely, but it's clear that they do cause some other problems.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    I don't think this should be shocking. Anyone with a thyroid disorder knows it can be a challenge to loose weight until the thyroid disorder has been corrected. Many of the chemicals in our environment are known endocrine disruptors, perhaps contributing to the increasing number of Americans being diagnosed with thyroid disorders.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Corn.

That is all.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Corn.

That is all.

yesitis2.gif?1311943181
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    I fail to see where anyone said we shouldn't consider the cause. Did I miss something?

The consensus is that overeating is the cause. But nobody can explain why people overeat other than to say they have mental problems. Its as if the human body is completely incapable of regulating its own appetite. This mindset really bothers me.