WRAPPING STOMACH WITH PLASTIC WRAP?!! SAFE?

Options
Hi, its me again lol posting alot today :)
um for the past 3days I have been wrapping my stomach and back area with plastic wrap while working out. Its easier for me to break a sweat this way and it catches the sweat pretty good. Then once Im done working out. I take it off.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ITS SAFE TO KEEP DOING THIS??
I KNOW I CANT KEEP IT ON ALL DAY OR NUTHIN LIKE THAT DUE TO POSSIBLE DEHYDRATION.
SO I JUST DO IT FOR WORKOUTS THATS ALL..

any advice would be greatly appreciated cuz im about to workout right now :)

Replies

• stacyll
    stacyll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    they have waist belts to help you when you're working out. they serve the same purpose. you just reminded me to wear mine! i've heard of wrapping the tummy in saran wrap and applying castor oil to the belly before wrapping to take out the toxins while you sleep.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Complete waste of energy.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options
    they have waist belts to help you when you're working out. they serve the same purpose. you just reminded me to wear mine! i've heard of wrapping the tummy in saran wrap and applying castor oil to the belly before wrapping to take out the toxins while you sleep.

I've heard that our bodies remove 'toxins' all by themselves.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

What do you mean? I dont like wrap it too tight or nuthing just snug and I can still stick my hand in the wrap. DEF. wont wrap over night tho..
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well I'm pretty sure it's safe for sandwiches, so why not the body. It will probably keep you fresh until lunch time. But I hear you shouldn't put it in a microwave. So avoid stepping into any human-sized microwaves.... seriously, even if some web page tells you that sitting in a microwave will help you burn belly fat fast.
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    Safe? Yes. Pointless? Yes.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Safe? Yes. Pointless? Yes.
    ^ This.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Making yourself sweat more does nothing for you except dehydrate you faster. You're not helping yourself by doing this....at all. Sweat does not equal calories burned.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hey they make whole jogging suits to work out in! Plastic, rubber etc
    My ex used to do it to make weight for wrestling.

Of course, its only water weight you are losing, and creating a potential for dehydration, which will backfire into water retention in a day or so... But hey... whats a temp fix, right?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will hurt yourself doing it, but I doubt it will help all that much. If you goal is just to lose water weight you can do the same thing with a water pill. Besides, plastic wrap is expensive. How much are you going through?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Making yourself sweat more does nothing for you except dehydrate you faster. You're not helping yourself by doing this....at all. Sweat does not equal calories burned.

This!

You can't spot reduce, everyone's body is different. The last place I lose weight is my stomach, so hang in there and eventually it'll come off.

Also, you don't need to use castor oil or some other weird combo to "cleanse" toxins from your system, just drink water. Your body will "cleanse" itself.
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    your Lymphatic system removes toxins
    Doing a wrap whether in a spa or at home with saran wrap is pointless you don't burn more fat and any result you might get would be temporary.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but plastic wrap is only going to insulate the skin and prevent it from cooling you effectively. I remember the marketing for silver plastic suits in the 80's that were supposed to accelerate weight loss...they did; through dehydration.

What results are you expecting from doing this?
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options

exactly.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options

What do you mean? I dont like wrap it too tight or nuthing just snug and I can still stick my hand in the wrap. DEF. wont wrap over night tho..

It does nothing but cause extra sweating. No extra calorie burn, no toxin removal, no nothing. Maybe a rash?

And everyone will laugh when you walk into the gym sounding like a bag of chips.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well I'm pretty sure it's safe for sandwiches, so why not the body. It will probably keep you fresh until lunch time. But I hear you shouldn't put it in a microwave. So avoid stepping into any human-sized microwaves.... seriously, even if some web page tells you that sitting in a microwave will help you burn belly fat fast.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will hurt yourself doing it, but I doubt it will help all that much. If you goal is just to lose water weight you can do the same thing with a water pill. Besides, plastic wrap is expensive. How much are you going through?

lol I work at a warehouse so I can get them all the time huge rolls for free.. But hmm water weight.. yea I kinda figured that I dont know why I thought If I WEAR it while working out it will wittle my middle fast ?? damn! that blows..
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

It does nothing but cause extra sweating. No extra calorie burn, no toxin removal, no nothing. Maybe a rash?

And everyone will laugh when you walk into the gym sounding like a bag of chips.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: om nom noms Fritos™
  • mrsfoose
    mrsfoose Posts: 59
    Options
    I used one of those weight loss belts after I had my daughter. I found that I did sweat more in that area, which may have helped since I held a ton of water post delivery and it gave my poor stretched past their limit muscles some support.