snobbish on MFP?

Replies

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,860 Member
    That and the nature of the forum to induce pedantry.

OMG! I LOVE pedants!!!! Nothing sets off an open neck shirt and my chest hair like a pedant!

Oh, wait...no, that's a pendant. Um...nevermind.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    I think her response was an act of bullying. Disrespecting someone personally (in this case my inabliltiy to understand basic grammer and punctuation/ my attempt to judge and condemn other fellow posters) in a effort to undermine their comments and validate your own. I could have used other descripitive terms but I felt that was accurate especially since neither of the comments were true.

That's broadening the definition of bullying beyond all useful application. Correcting grammar (sp) is not bullying. It's correcting grammar. Bullying is a rather more serious problem - and frankly quite an accusation to throw at someone. Her post was not especially aggressive, she didn't name call. You, on the other hand did, and continue to do so.

The comments were factual. Grammatically, the OP's header is a statement, not a question. I'm not quite sure how pointing that out is a judgement on *you*. You appear to be determined to take personally something that was not, in fact, personal. You also seem determined to assert it's your right to name call, which given the context of the thread, is a bit ironic.

Perhaps you could work harder to find some accurate descriptive terms?

I find your logic and coherence disturbing.

^^ This.........I see it all the time here.........people who correct grammar. I have a friend who has a serious problem with making sure to include little words in her sentances like "is", "or", "the"......list goes on and on. And whenever I try to be friendly and help her out.........sometimes she's okay with it, but most of the time if not all she says that when I try to help or others do, it makes her feel stupid.

Correcting grammar = makes people feel stupid = bullying

Its the internet.........yes........but there shouldn't be bullying here nor anywhere for that matter. And again, its the internet, so why worry about someone else and their grammar? Shouldn't you worry about yourself and leave the grammar thing alone. Yes, it may drive you bonkers, sometimes it may even drive me crazy too.........although a lot less than the next person I think, but its not up to me to correct them at all unless they ask to be.

Correcting one's grammar is not an attempt to make someone feel stupid, but to teach someone the proper way in which to write.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Sorry, you have encountered "snobs" . . . Ignore the haters. :) You are here for you ignore the negative.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 713 Member
    Hookers & Blow... fix everything.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    In any group of this size there will be a predicable number of many personality types, both the ones you like and the ones you don't. It's just statistics.

This is not statistics, this is just life. That said, this observation is true--in a group of any size, there will be a variety of types of people. Also, the people who respond to forum topics are more likely to be people who have a strong opinion on a topic, if they didn't, they probably wouldn't bother responding, so based on the forums, MFP users might look snobbier/pushier/etc..
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Who wants to see my hot abs? None of you?

Ya'll are a bunch of stuck up snobs. =P
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    normal distribution of life?
  • hmm, I've only met extremely helpful, sweet and motivational friends on here!! Perhaps keep on logging in hopes to meet new friends. There are tons of people on here. I don't think many make posts though that often? I've seen some rude comments on the posts, but also some very sweet supportive ones. You just need make new friends and delete the ones that aren't motivational or nice? You will find after you build up friends on here, the daily commenting from your friends will be super sweet and helpful.. not rude.

Best of luck! Don't give up.. this site is amazing! with amazing encouragement! :)
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    I think one of the difficulties with blogs, email, and even conversing in a foreign language on the phone is that so much information is missing. The eye contact, facial expressions and tone of voice are so important to communication. My experience has been that people sometimes come across in a way different manner than they intended. Hope you find the motivation your need on your journey.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,275 Member
    ^^^^THIS
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    ^^^^THIS

Fact.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Keep in mind that some of us have been on here for a long time. Yes there are 'cliques' but that will happen anytime you have people socializing on a daily basis with similar interests.

Stick around here and in a few months you'll be saing, "If I see another TOM thread I'm gonna scream!!"

Best of luck!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    I'm not offended or anything, but I don't really understand the point of saying to a huge open forum of vastly different personalities that there seem to be a lot of snobs. It's rather off-putting, like it doesn't make me want to immediately send you a friend request.

Just a tip, calling people snobs, prob not the best way to get friends. After all, we are all here to get healthy and make friends with people who will be supportive of our goals.

This is pretty similar to what I thought when I read this.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,275 Member
    It's an observation. If your insulted then that's on you.
    No, what's insulting is a topic about being snobbish from someone who lacks grammar skills. When I see stuff like this, it tells me you're (take note-- it's "you're" not your--- these are basic concepts taught in elementary school) not all that swift.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Ugh. Can someone make me a moderator so I can make threads like these 'disappear'?

:flowerforyou:
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    1. Rules of Fight Club:

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.
    2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.
    3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the fight is over.
    4th RULE: Only two guys to a fight.
    5th RULE: One fight at a time.
    6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.
    7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as they have to.
    8th RULE: If this is your first night at FIGHT CLUB, you HAVE to fight.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,860 Member
    Ugh. Can someone make me a moderator so I can make threads like these 'disappear'?

:flowerforyou:

*waving the magic wand and sprinkling the pixie dust*

Poof! You're a Moderator!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    *waving the magic wand and sprinkling the pixie dust*

Poof! You're a Moderator!

Oooh! It tingles!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Take the know-it-alls with a grain of salt. If they really did know it all, they wouldn't have had a weight problem to begin with. I prefer the people who have worked hard, learned lots along the way, and share their opinions without being judgmental. The forums are crawling with a lot of mean spirited people, but that's on ANY site. There are SO many supportive people around here. If you're positive, you'll find them. :)

^ This. Sounds catty, but when someone is climbing up on their "holier-than-thou" soapbox, I remember that they're on this site to begin with and that means they don't know and practice everything they speak. Then I move along and hang out with my cozy friends list of nice people who are just trying to lose weight and support each other. =)
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    What many see as bullying I see as the smart people calling out the dumb people. To avoid being bullied, don't be an idiot.

Thats just ignorant to be honest......the statement made is ignorant for clarity's sake--not you because I would never give cause to call anyone that so if you take offense, I am REALLY sorry :flowerforyou: , but I just feel that the statement made is ignorant.

Too many people call others "dumb" or "idiot" or even "moron".......people who ask questions for the sake of their own curiosity should not be bullied. There is no such thing as a dumb question.........if you don't know, you ask. That is all she was curious about. She didn't understand--and on the flip side, granted, she hadn't really had the time to see how these message boards flowed--therefore, she asked. Plain and simple.

We all need to be a bit more accepting of this line of questioning because no one who posts threads like this is actually calling anyone on here "snobs" or the like. They just have not seen how this message board works is all and some people just don't wait until they get a feel for it.......thats just who they are as a person and thats not a crime.
    And some people take the internet far too seriously. Keep your patronizing flower to yourself, thanks.

Woooow, and what flew up your *kitten*? I was not being patronizing at all........I truly meant it when I said I was sorry and I thought that smilie would have helped to show that I really did mean it. Sorry that I totally missed my mark.........go calm yourself and have a lovely day........

dont worry about her, shes obviously got issues. taking the internet too seriously? really? looks like you are