When to Have the Marriage Talk

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    What is the point of marriage in the first place? Tax purposes? If your relationship isn't broken, why are you trying to fix it?

Hypothetically, you two get married, then decide you're not right for each other in 3-10 years. Now you have a messy divorce, trying to legally separate your stuff and money. In situations like that, it's easier to stay married to each other since the legal ramifications SUCK.

On the flip side, you two live together, as you are right now. In 3-10 years you two decide you're not right for each other. You take your stuff, he takes his, and you move on, no divorce. You two are not legally bound to each other, so disengaging is more of an emotional thing.

In both scenarios, if you two stay together forever, then good on you. All is happy, all is well.

While I can appreciate where you're coming from (trust me, my parents got divorced after 20 years and it was MESSYYYYY), personally, I still believe in marriage. It's probably the Catholic upbringing, but marriage is an important step in a relationship for me, personally.

Additionally, the legal rights are important. Being able to make medical decisions for your partner should something ever happen, health insurance benefits, life insurance beneficiaries, legal rights to property, tax purposes...I mean, those aren't THE reasons you get married, but they are important when you plan to build a life with somebody else.

An interesting thing in the Catholic church, is that if you plan to have a Catholic wedding, you must undergo a minimum of 6 months of pre-marital counseling in the church, attend a pre-marital retreat or seminar, complete a compatibility test (it's this really long questionnaire that basically determines if your life goals and the way you would raise a family are the same), and be mentored by a "sponsor couple" who is a married couple that was married in the church and has been married for a long time and involved in the church. I realize not everybody is Christian, but I gotta think that REALLY helps people decide if they're really ready for marriage or not.
  • CallyAlyse
    CallyAlyse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am in a relationship sorta the same. Late 20's I have 4 kids previous to this realtionship. We have been together for 2.5 years. I have been married and divorced before. We do live together and my children have no contact with thier father. I love my boyfriend and he loves me. He tells me and shows me that he is commited all the time. ie: buys me animals that he couldn't have without me or vise versa. just bought us a family car that fits us all. Stays up with the kids when they are sick. ect. Both his mother and I have talked to him about marriage and we get no where. All I ever hear is you don't think I'm committed. What has marriage done for anyone? I know that he is commited and I'm wondering the same as you. Why is it such a big deal to just talk about it. I just wanted you to know that you are not the only one out there dealing with this. My motto on this lately is "if it aint broke don't fix it." and "everything is happing just perfect for me at this time in my life. If it changes that will be the perfect thing in that time of my life to."

Sorry I ramble too but my point is, Enjoy this time, be in the moment, and see what comes of it. We are still young if people in thier 80's and 90's can find someone after all that time I'm sure we will be just fine. :)
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half now and we had that talk a little after the 1 year mark. I'm 25, he's 26. I knew what I wanted and I wanted to know from him what his plans were for HIS life. I made it about him and left myself out of the equation, then I shared the same. That made it easier to talk about where we were headed because we heard each other out.

Now we just have to sort out our cultural differences in regards to what marriage means :)
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    I'm sorry but what is financial stability in this economy? There are never guarantees in this life. If marriage is about financial stability no one would ever get married and be happy. My husband and I knew each other online for about a month before we met in person and we had actually already done all the paperwork to get married before he came up to see me. We have been married for little over a year now. Financial stability is not something that you will ever be completely set on unless you are a millionaire or have a high paying job. This can also be said about having kids. You are never truly financially stable enough to have kids. If everyone waited to be financially stable to get married and have kids, there would be a lot of single people and no kids. The fact that he will not even discuss it with you at all is a red flag to me. I knew before I met my man in person that he wanted marriage and a family. That is just part of the communication in a relationship.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    My husband and I knew the night we met we had found the one. 9 mos later he was being shipped overseas and wanted me to join him, I said not as your girl friend and he said I know! 9 mos later we married. 15 years later we finally paid off the student loans! Here we are at 22 years and we have a mortgage, car loans and our oldest is getting ready to go off to college.

Did we wait, yes, he had not, but I had been raped in a previous relationship. It took us a while, and a lot of fun, learning to be together.

Follow your instincts on this one. Do you have a parent? Perhaps they could and should ask the "What are your intentions with my daughter?" Conversation/question.

Good luck, and perhaps it is time for you guys to date other people. Sometimes that helps people go one way or the other.
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    hunny been with my man 7 years on the 25th of this month.. and he isn't ready to get married.. nothing you say is going to make him more ready... he either is or isn't... and when he is you'll probably be the first to know.. and from what you are saying it sounds like he just isn't finacially stable enough and he doesn't want to begin your life together with peanuts.. and probably wants to give you the ring you deserve and feels like when you want to talk about marriage that you are preasuring it for now more than later...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Sorry I ramble too but my point is, Enjoy this time, be in the moment, and see what comes of it. We are still young if people in thier 80's and 90's can find someone after all that time I'm sure we will be just fine. :)

Hell yeah! My grandma is 80 and has a boyfriend. They go dancing on Saturday nights.
  • rysgal123
    rysgal123 Posts: 27
    Options
    I was in the same situation. my fiance and I have been together for almost 8 years now, and at the 4year mark i started to wonder, "are we ever going to get married". We were already living the "married" life, we had a car a house a dog and debt, but there was no hint that he was ready to marry. He is also 2 years younger then me. finally i started bringing it up, and i was getting the same answer, "i don't think we are ready". After bringing it up a few times, i was able to get it out of him that he thought he wasn't ready because he felt he was too young (he was 23). I let it go for a while, knowing that i knew he was the man i wanted to marry and i was comfortable in the situation we were in but i just needed the reassurance that i wasn't "wasting" my time with a man that never wanted to marry, or just didn't want to marry me. But as time when on i was able to bring it up more and more without him getting mad or irritated with my consistency. When i expressed my reasoning as being the next step in our relationship and i wanted to have his commitment to me as much as i wanted to give mine to him. After 7 years, he popped the questions 2 days after my birthday. We are getting married next year. It was worth the wait, but that only because i knew in my heart that the time would come, i just needed to be patient . Good luck!!!
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A man will know if wants to marry you or think that your "wifey" material in a matter of months . 2 1/2 years is a long time and u let him get comfortable. My advice , give him a timetable ultimatum and gauge his reaction. See if he's scared to lose you.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    What is the differenence between knowing you want to be with someone for the rest of your life and getting married? It is just the act of showing it. Your waisting your time if he cant even talk about it honey. Your young...if he comes around then ok he comes around but dont sit there and wait for him. If you know then you know, its not "oh im not ready to get married" what do you have to be ready for? If he wants to be with you for the rest of your life then he would be happy to talk to you about it. I had this thing...if you dont see it after 6 months then I am out. If you dont KNOW it after a year then I am out! I am engaged now, we knew after the first few months and he asked me right after 2 years. He was excited more then me....I know he wants to be with me cause he tells me EVERY DAY! It shouldnt be a guessing game. Get rid of the games.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Take it as a red flag...he doesn't know what he wants. I've been with my guy for 15 yrs, I knew going in that we would never get married. I was married before him and certainly didn't want to do it again and he just told me right out he never wanted to get married:bigsmile:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    "I'm not ready yet, but in the future, I'd like to marry you."
    So, you just want a proposal without the ring? lol

I don't know what to suggest to help you. I married my wife when I was 20 and she 19. Over 10 years later, I wouldn't change a thing. Going to college together, struggling through the hardest times, getting our first house, first car... You know, some people are not ready for something - kids is another good example in the same vein - and suddenly one day, they are good to go.

You could give a silent ultimatum - 12 months from now, or whatever - and then if that time comes, bring it up again, and if there's still no discussion... Do what you have to do.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone -- this isn't chit-chat, fun, OR a game...but hopefully you can give me some insight/advice!

I have been with my boyfriend for 2.5 years. We're both in our mid-20s. I am a little further into my career than he is, as he just graduated from college last year and is getting started. We both have student loans and starting salaries, so we're not in the best financial or career situations yet.

This being said, I'd like to know that we both have marriage in mind for our future. I don't want a ring now and I don't want a timeline of when it will happen, but I would like to know that we agree on where our relationship is headed. He refuses to discuss it at all with me, saying we're not ready. He doesn't get that I don't want to talk about getting married RIGHT NOW, I just want to talk about *marriage*.

My philosophy is: the situation is never perfect, and that shouldn't stop you from biting the bullet and doing what you want to do.

I don't know if I am being a stereotypical girl or not. I just don't want for us to date for 3-5 more years, all the while this is up in the air, and then he decides that he's not a marriage guy or I'm not the girl for him. Then I'm early 30s and have to start over -- not the worst thing in the world, just not what I want for my future.

Thoughts anyone? And yes, I'm a rambler -- sorry. :wink:

Living together? Do you both have your own finances, or are they shared?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    We had this discussion pretty early on. What's the point of spending a lot of time together if you don't want the same thing? If he would have told me 3 months into our relationship that he didn't want to get married or have kids, I would have ended it then.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    I'll say this... I knew in advance of asking my wife to marry me, that if she said "no", I was moving on immediately. If you want to get married, you have to be with someone who wants to marry you.
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like "We aren't ready" as much as "He isn't ready."

And, you won't be able to change that opinion, but if you two can't communicate about this, that's bad news.

I gave my BF a deadline. I don't recommend that. I'm divorced :)

My old college girlfriend of 4 years gave me a deadline. The night of the deadline she gave me the boot. A year later I went to her wedding. But I've been happily married to another woman for 22 years. She's divorced. Not sure what my point is. LOL

BTW, I just love that boob shirt in your avatar. :)
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    Living together? Do you both have your own finances, or are they shared?

Do not live together, share no finances. Nothing is joint.
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My sister just went through the exact same thing with her bf. She didn't want a ring or even to set a timeline, she just wanted general acknowledgement that that's where they both saw themselves heading. And, like you, she needed a formal statement of yes, I'd like to marry YOU. That being said, he couldn't even do that and they ended up breaking things off for like, two weeks. Ultimately, they finally had the conversation and agreed that they both wanted marriage in their future but that many things needed to happen before that (careers, more schooling, etc.)

My husband and I had a very open communication when we were dating about where we saw our future heading. We had no doubts that we would marry each other.

Trying to support my sister through that was so foreign to me, but I encouraged her to keep on it. keep talking, keep explaining what she needed to hear and what she didn't, and why. If he's not even willing to go that far with you, I would start to seriously reconsider why you're together and if this is a relationship you want to invest in for another 3-4 years only to be disappointed in the end.

Best of luck!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'd say something like, "It has been a great 2.5 years, and I love you. I'm at the point in my life where dating for me should be headed somewhere. Either I want to be figuring out whether I want to marry this person eventually, or figuring out I don't wan to marry this person, and then moving on." You are the person I'd like to be with, but if that isn't the case for you, or if you don't see dating that way now, then this isn't a good fit for both of us and we need to move on and not cause each other grief. No hard feelings, no hatefulness or drama, just the fact that we aren't looking for the same things right now."

It is legitimate for you to date to find a mate. It is legitimate for him to date for fun. You just need to know where you stand and have the guts to act on it if you hear something you don't want to hear.

Best of luck! It sucks to be a modern woman. Well, it probably always sucked to be a woman. Either way, get into the driver's seat and take control of where you are going. Don't wait on him to make a decision.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you are unable to have this conversation, write him a very heartfelt non-threatening letter about how YOU feel about the situation. He just may be projecting what he thinks you are getting at so closes the door immediately when the topic is brought up. Hand it to him on a weekend morning and then spend the day away from him with the girls or your family doing shopping and such. This will give him time to process your thoughts and reflect on his own.

IDK, letters seem to work for me. If I'm interrupted, I tend to get off track. And you cant argue with a letter!