Say you are a broke college student....

Options
12346»

Replies

• jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I second most of the suggestions on here - beans, lentils, rice, tuna, peanut butter, oatmeal, etc.

one of the things I've seen a lot of people suggest is homemade soup or chili... this is an awesome idea, and you can make a really big batch to freeze. The best way to freeze portions for one is to use a muffin tin, lined with plastic wrap. Once it's frozen, you can take the individual portions out of the muffin tin and put them into freezer bags for storage. I've done that with soups and veggie stews.

Also, 3 or 4 chicken breasts + 1 large jar salsa + 1 can black beans + frozen corn makes a ton of crock pot shredded chicken that is easy to freeze and good over rice or with tortillas.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would also like to say that you should own a crock pot if you don't already. They are not expensive, an are fantastic for making wholesome meals that you can save for weeks (freezing).
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think I saw someone that mentioned food stamps, and i'm not sure what the eligibility requirements are but you could check here http://www.thebenefitbank.org/QuickCheck to see if you're eligible for any assistance programs.

Also, local food pantries can be a great help for staple items when things are tight temporarily. This site might be of help http://feedingamerica.org/Home/foodbank-results.aspx to find one in your area.
  • Sandydee60
    Sandydee60 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just remember if things get to bad then go to a food bank. They will help you.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    eggs
    yogurt
    chicken
    fruit
    frozen veggies

and I AM a broke college student :)
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Eating Beans

BBQ Beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can brown beans
    1 can mixed beans
    liberal addition of bar-b-que sauce

Warm this and eat in wraps with whatever veggies are on sale
    Eat this mix over rice or cooked red lentils

Beans Soup
    1 can kidney beans
    1 cup cooked red lentils (cook these like rice)
    1 can mixed beans
    1 container chicken broth
    leftover meat of somesort (optional)

Also, Throw a can of beans into any canned soup for extra proten
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cereal
    Milk,
    Frozen chicken
    pasta
    rice
    sauces that are on offer
    .....and the cheapest chocolate I could find!
  • Gemp2307
    Gemp2307 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi grocery store in your area? They have good food all kinds fruits, vegetables, bread, milk, yogurt, everything a regular grocery store has but lots cheaper! Good luck to you!

Aldi is my happy place. I buy in euro, so I'm not sure what the conversion to dollar is, but I can usually eat for a week for less that 30 euro. invest in a good food saver jar, or a wide flask, i bought mine on ebay. You can make batches of soup and chilli, stews, casseroles etc and freeze them, defrost and reheat and take with you. Also, i buy quick-soup, or cup-a-soup sachets, usually 4 packets for less than a euro, and take a flask of boiling water with me. i can make myself some soup whenever, wherever, for 30 cents a go.With a little extra planning, it is achievable to eat healthy and cheap, just stay focused! good luck!
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    And had very little money for food for the next 2 months *-* what would be the top items on your list?

I was thinking:
    cans of tuna 52 cents
    bag of rice around $1.20 or so
    maybe a bag of frozen chicken breasts - $6 or so

what would you add :flowerforyou:

start looking through supermarket circulars to get the best deal. i used to get them in the mail and just throw them out immediately. now, i start searching for which store has the lowest price on chicken breast, canned goods, etc.

go to the websites for each supermarket and look for their weekly ad. also there are coupons you can download and print directly from the supermarket website. also, the sunday newspapers usually have manufacturer coupons. clip all the ones you're likely to use, and then wait til the item goes on sale at the local store. then, you'll have a sale price PLUS a coupon. that's how the couponers on Extreme Couponing do it.

also, don't be afraid to venture into the unsavory part of town and go to the supermarkets there. food is almost always cheaper in seedy neighborhoods.

buy the store brand, and not the popular brand. much of the time, it's the same product packed at the same plant, but with different label.

don't think that 50 cents is no big deal. if you can save 50 cents on each item you buy, just imagine how that starts adding up. i cut my monthly grocery expenses by more than half by just doing all of these things.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My favorite cheap recipe is Taco Soup:
    1 can black beans
    1 can dark red kidney beans
    1 can light red kidney beans
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    2 can sweet corn
    1 packet taco seasoning

Put everything in a big pot or crockpot and cook until heated through. Simmer for a while longer to really enhance the flavors.

For less than 5 dollars, you have a few days' worth of healthy, filling meals.

Also, a lot of people survive on black beans and rice and/or beans and corn tortillas. Beans plus rice/corn equals a complete protein and has the same healthful benefits as meat protein.

Fresh fruit and veggies are a must. Buy whatever is on sale so that you have a few servings of either fruit or vegetables each day. (I've seen bags of fresh spinach go on sale for 99c before and in-season fruit is often very afforable--i.e. only a couple dollars for a huge bag of apples).

I hope this helps!