UK low-calorie snacks

Options
Jade17694
Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
I've been reading through all of the threads and all of the yummy low calorie snacks mentioned seem to be American so it's difficult to find them here -.-

anyone got any low-calorie snacks that can be found particularly in the UK? I'm tired of just eating fruit.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Not sure the nutritional information would suit you, but Velvet Crunch Cassava Snacks are my current favourites. They come in Thai Sweet Chilli, Salt and Vinegar and Cheese and Onion flavours. 84 calories (max) for a 20g packet, and nice and filling.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am really hooked on Tao kae noi grilled seaweed strips at the moment, they come in various flavours, have about 140 cals per huge bag, and about 8g protein in that. A bag of them can last you snacking all day. I get them in an oriental supermarket.
  • Jade17694
    Options
    bump!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Without wanting to sound like a kill joy but surely you should be looking to change your eating habits so you don't go back gaining weight (which is what I assume most people are on this site for?). There is no such thing as a healthy snack.

Make your meals healthy and enjoyable and you won't need to snack. Snack is what makes us eat more calories than we think - we graze and eat without thinking this way.
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    snack a jacks, 40 cal each or snack a jack corn snacks 89 cal each bag
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Alpen bars (light) lots of different flavors all about 70cal each comes in box of 5, can gety them in most stores but the cheepest is the 99p store
  • Jade17694
    Options
    Without wanting to sound like a kill joy but surely you should be looking to change your eating habits so you don't go back gaining weight (which is what I assume most people are on this site for?). There is no such thing as a healthy snack.

Make your meals healthy and enjoyable and you won't need to snack. Snack is what makes us eat more calories than we think - we graze and eat without thinking this way.

I'll thank you not to jump to conclusions about my eating habits!

My meals are healthy and I do enjoy them. Nor did I say there is such a thing as a healthy snack. I just need something else to eat to make up my calories when I have days where I barely reach 1200 other than fruit. That is the purpose of this post.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    nakd bars are good, 98 cals, they don't look too appetising but taste really good (the coco loco is great). They're all natural nut, fruit and oat bars. Also onken yoghurt vanilla or strawberry flavour, freeze them and its like ice cream (not exactly but close).
    And yeah snacking is good, i was always told its best to snack a few time a day, I do it now and am finding it easier to maintain weight than when I was eating 3 meals a day and no snacks at all.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've recently found these really nice cereal sanck. They are called YU! they are clusters of granola covered in yogurt and are mixed with raisins or strawberry or mango! You can get them in supermarkets in the cereal bar aisle. 93 cals for the raisin one not sure on the others, i enjoy as a mid morning snack xx
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    My favourites:
    Muller Lights (99ish cals for a pot)
    Sherbert dip dabs (88 cals for a package - currently my favourite because it takes so long to eat and i loooove sherbet)
    Sherbet fountain (around 100 for one)
    And as mentioned, velvet crunch crisps and Alpen light bars
    Weetabix oaty bars are lovely too, something like 80 cals.
    Sugar free jelly, flumps, Freddos, Curly Wurlys (115 cals I think) are others that I like :)

Its important for me to have low cal snacks that feel a bit naughty, I am a massive snacker and it's hard to have fruit all the time when you're not used to it. I'm starting to up the amount of fruit and nuts I have but I'm still going to eat the above because to me it may not be perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than what I used to snack on!
  • Gemp2307
    Gemp2307 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    YUUUMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYY!!! i love velvet crunch
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am really hooked on Tao kae noi grilled seaweed strips at the moment, they come in various flavours, have about 140 cals per huge bag, and about 8g protein in that. A bag of them can last you snacking all day. I get them in an oriental supermarket.

Ooh yes, they are superb! Not easy to get though
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I know some aren't low calorie, but smoothies are lovely. Tonnes of vitamins and minerals packed in a drink, what more could you wish for lol! Personally I look at the health benefits for foods/drinks as opposed to calories.

Tasha
    xxx
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Whether something is a snack or a meal its still food, of course you can have healthy snacks just like you can have unhealthy meals. I purposely eat less calories at meals so I can eat snacks so I don't go long without eating something and I've lost 56lbs consistenly over less than 8 months.

Anyways, my fave low-cal packaged UK snacks are as mentioned already Cassava Thai Chilli (81kcal), Weight Watchers Cookies (86kcal) and 1/2 tbsp of nutella (40kcal) to help with chocolate cravings, it really works. I get them all from Poundland.
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Low calorie jellies! You can get little pots of them - usually on offer in Tescos or the like so you can buy in bulk and they're under 10 calories a pot.
  • kk1964
    kk1964 Posts: 46
    Options
    walker baked crisp 10 calories a bag, i love crisp and these are a great substitute
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like those, I got them in Poundland they're yummy esp sweet chill, quite garlic thought have some gum/mints after! lol

Ryvita's can be nice with soup, reduced fat hummus, peanut butter, cottage cheese, chicken/turkey, lower fat cheese - basically low fat any protein and some veg e.g. tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce will help fill you up more.
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    ryvita minis, snack a jacks, nairns oat bakes, cracker bread / ryvita with marmite, tasy little numbers crisps and choc bars (both 100 cals each)
    i'm sure there are others too :smile:
  • jaqiswany
    jaqiswany Posts: 76
    Options
    I've been reading through all of the threads and all of the yummy low calorie snacks mentioned seem to be American so it's difficult to find them here -.-

anyone got any low-calorie snacks that can be found particularly in the UK? I'm tired of just eating fruit.

Special K cereal bars come in at around 90 -95 calories , and the slimming world ones are low too , handy to keep in your bag in case you get the munchies. I then keep the packet till i get home then dont forget to add it in .

snack bags of mini cheddars are nice too , various flavours they come in at around 129 cals.
    Rice crackers are nice and come in lots of flavours too ( the sweet chilli ones are lovely if like me you crave spicy things)

Hope this helps :-)
  • lizgov
    lizgov Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    walker baked crisp 10 calories a bag, i love crisp and these are a great substitute
    Walkers baked are lovely, small bags though and they are 100 cal,not 10 (I wish!)
    Jelly is great, fills a hole for sure.