What is the name of the last book you read?

Options

Replies

• JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Helen of Troy by Margaret George. Love the way she writes stories seen through the eyes of the that person. My favourite is her one on Henry VIII. I also have her Memoirs of Cleopatra and Biography of Mary, Queen of Scots, Elizabeth Tudor and Mary Magdelene (which isn't as good as all the others)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Confederation of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

Really good, funny book about this funny and tragic character, living in New Orleans in the 1960's. It's a little sad, but brilliant.

It's "A Confederacy of Dunces". Great book, but I found it difficult to have such an unsympathetic protagonist. I had the same issue with Lolita.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Game I don't want to give away the ending, but it's about different districts of people, a female and male get picked from each district. They are sent someplace with all the other district picks and they have to try to be the only one alive. There's much more then that, but you really should read it.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Game I don't want to give away the ending, but it's about different districts of people, a female and male get picked from each district. They are sent someplace with all the other district picks and they have to try to be the only one alive. There's much more then that, but you really should read it.

If you like this book try Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    "Water for Elephants" by Sarah Gruen. I am a huge reader and I highly recommend this book, could not put down, and it was'nt full of crime and detectives like lots of books out there.
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    "The Secret River" by Kate Grenville. It's good historical fiction about the settlement of Australia by English convicts.

Currently reading "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga - a darkly comic look at India's class struggles.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    City of bones by Cassandra Claire Its about Nephilims, Demons, vampires,werewolves :)

This. Amazing series. Highly recommended.

Background: Warriors called Shadowhunters were created to keep Downworlders--werewolves, vampires, faerie, demons, etc.--in check, and they kill the bad Downworlders that prey on humans. They get to be badass 16-17-year olds (though they come across much older because of the seriousness of their life-threatening work as the next generation of Shadowhunters) with nifty gadgets and angel-blessed knives. Lots of good action, real conflict, excellent and witty dialogue, and a heart-breaking romance. Cassandra Clare builds a fantastic, full fantasy world in the middle of New York, and her characterizations are realistic, the relationships between characters well-established and real. Oh, and nobody sparkles. ;P
  • Neigh2012
    Neigh2012 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. Lol. About a French man in the early 1800's view of American society and character. Kinda interesting at times. :)
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm the only one who reads trashy romance novels...just finished "Scandalous Countess" by Jo Beverly :tongue:
  • notAfan
    notAfan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Made to Crave... If you are a Christian trying to lose weight, it is a book that you will both love and hate.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Cleopatra's Daughter. The title pretty much sums it up. :-P
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Griftopia by Matt Taibbi. About the financial crisis and how the Rich (read 1%) are bleeding America dry before they head towards the emerging powers of Asia.
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just finished "Deeper Than The Dead" It is a book about a FBI profiler finding a murderer. Good book. I'm reading "The Last Presinct" by Patricia Cornwall right now. I love suspence/mysteries.
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    Where Rainbows End - Cecilia Ahern

It's about a man, Alex, and a woman, Rosie, who've known each since they were seven years old, and the story's mainly told through Rosie through a series of letters, e-mails, notes, faxes and all sorts but never an actual story telling. They go through marriages, heartbreaks, traumas, troubles, triumphs and everything else. And in the end, were they or were they not supposedly soulmates? Who knows, but it's a lovely read. :)
  • KenDubya74
    KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Currently reading The Midnight Tour by Richard Laymon. The third book of a horror series known as The Beast House Series which includes The Cellar, The Beast House, The Midnight Tour, & Friday Night In The Beast House.

From wikipedia;

Richard Carl Laymon (January 14, 1947 - February 14, 2001[1]) was an American author of suspense and horror fiction, particularly within the splatterpunk subgenre. He was born in Chicago, Illinois and lived as a child in California. He received a BA in English Literature from Willamette University in Oregon and an MA in English Literature from Loyola University in Los Angeles.

His works include more than sixty short stories and more than thirty novels, a few of which were published under the pseudonym Richard Kelly. However, despite praise from prominent writers from within the genre, including Stephen King and Dean Koontz, Laymon is little known in his homeland, though he enjoyed greater success in Europe, particularly in the United Kingdom. The author largely viewed this as a product of the poorly re-edited and reconstructed first release of The Woods Are Dark, which had over 50 pages removed. The book was released uncut in the UK, and he credited the release with his popularity there. His novel Flesh was named Best Horror Novel of 1988 by Science Fiction Chronicle, and both Flesh and Funland were nominated for the Bram Stoker Award. He won this award posthumously in 2001 for The Traveling Vampire Show. Richard Laymon died in 2001, of a massive heart attack and is survived by his wife, Ann, and daughter, Kelly.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm the only one who reads trashy romance novels...just finished "Scandalous Countess" by Jo Beverly :tongue:

;) My lovemuffin works in a retirement home, he reads the trashy romance novels that the lady residents are finished with.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The last book in the Hunger Games series, Mockingjay by Susan Collins. Awful. Just awful.

Right?! I breezed right through the first two but i'm having a hard time finishing this one! Also i'm currently reading Bossypants by Tina Fey, it's a comical sort of biography.. love her!
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm sure everyone knows what it is about. I'm now currently reading the hunger games..love it!
  • Chloe110
    Chloe110 Posts: 12
    Options
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

http://www.khaledhosseini.com/hosseini-books-splendidsuns.html

It was an excellent book.
    I had to read that for school, it was an excellent book but very depressing. About a girl going through hardships with her mother, growing up and having to live through even worse conditions through a terrible war and stuck with an awful husband. The ending is definitely satisfying.