Things people do at the gym that you hate

Options

Replies

• NPS1985
    NPS1985 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In group class, especially Zumba, when I am standing where I want to stand, and someone comes and stands 6 inches from me!!! Kills me...
    ^^^this too....I was in a yoga class, and a girl decided to put her mat 6 inches directly in front of mine...I had to avoid her kicking me or sticking her butt in my face the whole class...and there was nowhere for me to move without doing the same thing to someone else

^^^^^^^^ Had this happen to me in Step Class. Clearly I cannot move when you directly infront of me. Oh yeah and she was late so she did not know any of the moves......:mad:
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The trainer that monopolizes the bosu, three different sets of hand weights and half the sit-up space to train his one client so everyone has to work around them and or eliminate that equipment/space from their plan.

Also, used to have an older lady at my gym that would stand naked with her foot on a stool and blow dry her hoohah. Seriously!! In what world is that necessary?
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    the guys who watch me while im doing weights. quit watching me and focus on your own workout.

This x 1000000
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    the guys who watch me while im doing weights. quit watching me and focus on your own workout.

This x 1000000
    On behlaf of men, I request you to stop being awesome in return.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    2 things bother me at the gym.

1) In a class don't stand on top of me. Find your own spot.

2) If you have 4 sets of 45's on each side please take at least 3 off on each side. I'm little and those are heavy. Big muscle man can put his own weight away if he can lift it.

Otherwise nothing else really bothers me. I know people don't wipe down, I know people make noises, I know people don't have the same hygiene as me, I expect all of that and go on about my business. I'm there for 1 reason only.
    1) Oh i stand in your spot because you smell good! .. how about you skip a shower every now and then?
    2:) i leave them there to motivate you .. how do you know you cant do it , if you dont even try?
    3) that sweat i leave there is pure manly sweat , i figured anyone would love it.. pure genius! its the weakness which has left my body..
    4) and you know you are only at the gym to creep on all the hot guys..

:) JK

Funny!

* When you leave those weights there I'll remove them myself because I am that strong or if I don't feel like doing it myself I'll ask my buff husband to remove them for me. :smile:

thats ok me and your hubby are probably friends and we are laughing while we watch your angry face.. :))

Not angry just annoyed. And my husband also thinks its annoying when guys don't put their weights back.

i do too.. thats why i am mocking this.. i work at a gym , i have to put them back when they dont so its more than double the annoyance for me

Extra exercise?! I guess that's the way I look at it. Again small weights or a few is no big deal but I hate when those guys pile it on and then leave it.
    its not as bad as when they leave all the dumbells all over the gym.. but thats my problem , yours would be I cant find a set of 20lbs anywhere..
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    Darn near every Friday I bring in my McDonald's brkfst and eat it after I check my weight. I'm sure this pisses people off but hey, I'm eating in the designated area with tables and stuff.

Now what pisses me off is some stupid bisnich stole money out of my purse during my 45 min workout one day, it was only $7 but hey it was my $7. Needless to say I now lock everything up.

When the one "fat" guy goes to each machine does 2 reps, then sits there for 10 minutes doing nothing. I swear he does it to act like he's trying to lose weight but obviously is not going to give it any real effort like the rest of us.

When people stretch in areas not designated for stretching. Like using a treadmill or other piece of equiptment to do there 15 stretching routine! Some people want to use those for there actual purpose.

I don't mind the perfume or sweat, unless the BO is overly offensive. I work in a Nursing Home so to me nothing in a gym smells that bad.

When two ppl workout together, next to me, and Chatty Cathy it up for my entire workout. Why not pick some corner machines? Away from the lady using her Ereader on the Eliptical. And if you can hold up a conversation, your not working out very hard. Go meet each other for bunch afterword or something to catch up.

When strangers talk to me. I'm not your gym buddy. This is my "ME" time.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So, I took a late lunch and went to the gym. There were three customers there, including me. I got to do my circuit, use the elliptical I wanted, not see nekkid people or smell fat, hairy, sweaty guys, and found the sneakers I lost last Friday when I went there to play soccer.

That's a great gym day!
  • solitare
    solitare Posts: 5
    Options
    1. I dislike people who do not clean off there machince after utilizing it....come on people sweat and germs all over the machince!

2. I dislike seeing people in unproper gym gear such as pajama pants, jeans, church shoes & etc!

3. I dislike people singing/rapping loudly while working out....I have my ipad on and i still hear you ridiculos!

4. I dislike people banging the weights down DO NOT LET THEM CLAP!

5. I dislike people who hold on to the treadmill going 5.0 plus after 30 secs of running...slow it down your not ready!
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    Most of the people I work out with are seniors because I get in free at the cardiac rehab center(courtesy of my dad who works there). Not that I'm hating on seniors but if I hear one more person say "It's too cold in here" while they SIT on a machine barely moving while the sweat pours off me as I bust my --- I'm gonna scream! Seriously if they want to sit and watch tv why don't they just hang out at home and crank up the heat! Hope I don't sound mean or anything....just sick of it!

Next time you could just say "well if you'd work a little harder you wouldn't be cold" or "feels good to me, look I'm even sweating"
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    When people hog all the free weights. If you've got 3 pairs of different weighted dumbbells in your little area, I promise, you can't use them all at once, so let others work in on your sets. Same goes for people who sit at a machine and chit chat with somebody or text or something. It's rude and inconsiderate, you're not the only one who wants to use that machine.

And when people don't wipe down their equipment after using it. I don't want to sit /lay/run in your sweat. We have antibacterial wipes in handy dispensers ALL OVER THE GYM, please utilize them.

Other than that, I don't really care what other people do as long as it doesn't interfere with my workout :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    1. I dislike people who do not clean off there machince after utilizing it....come on people sweat and germs all over the machince! Fair enough.

2. I dislike seeing people in unproper gym gear such as pajama pants, jeans, church shoes & etc! You're not working hard enough if you have time to care.

3. I dislike people singing/rapping loudly while working out....I have my ipad on and i still hear you ridiculos! iPad?!

4. I dislike people banging the weights down DO NOT LET THEM CLAP! If I've just lifted 180kg on a deadlift, sometimes my grip gives way. When I do incline chest flys or horizontal dumbbell presses, the weights touch at the top. Deal with it.

5. I dislike people who hold on to the treadmill going 5.0 plus after 30 secs of running...slow it down your not ready! It's called HIIT.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

This x 1000000
    On behlaf of men, I request you to stop being awesome in return.

Whenever I catch a guy watching me lift weights I try my best to show off. I caught a couple high school boys staring at me as I kept upping the weight on the seated row yesterday, so I made sure to be impressive :) I'm a special kind of attention *kitten*.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    1. I dislike people who do not clean off there machince after utilizing it....come on people sweat and germs all over the machince! Fair enough.

2. I dislike seeing people in unproper gym gear such as pajama pants, jeans, church shoes & etc! You're not working hard enough if you have time to care.

3. I dislike people singing/rapping loudly while working out....I have my ipad on and i still hear you ridiculos! iPad?!

4. I dislike people banging the weights down DO NOT LET THEM CLAP! If I've just lifted 180kg on a deadlift, sometimes my grip gives way. When I do incline chest flys or horizontal dumbbell presses, the weights touch at the top. Deal with it.

5. I dislike people who hold on to the treadmill going 5.0 plus after 30 secs of running...slow it down your not ready! It's called HIIT.

Word. I probably look crazy when I do HIIT with all my sprinting/jogging/walking randomness. And I did the heaviest seated row I've ever done in my life yesterday, my weights banged a bit when I let go...but hey, I did 4 reps at 70lbs!
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm pretty easy-going. For the most part I'm too wrapped up in what I'm doing to notice much of what other people are doing. My only two annoyances are people who have apparently bathed in cologne or perfume (men and women are equally bad for this) and people not putting stuff back where it belongs. I hate doing an Easter egg hunt for the match to the dumbbell I want, or having to rerack the weights on the barbell before I can use it.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I'm the opposite at the moment, I am trying to pay more attention to how the men lift which is hard as I don't want to be caught staring

I even asked one of them what he was doing and what muscles it was working, he wasn't too impressed

I will just go about my own business from now on
  • kikilareggae
    kikilareggae Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When I have BOTH earbuds in, the volume maxed out on the tv and I can STILL hear every word of your cell phone conversation! SO rude and obnoxious.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can usually ignore most things but really strong, overpowering perfume or aftershave or deodorants put me right off my stride at the gym. There's just no need!

this is my only real complaint, because the members at my gym seem very courteous and conscientious. I never had this problem at my old gym, but I think the treadmills were farther apart. It's happened to me twice recently, and I had a real problem with headache afterward...
  • eliza46142
    eliza46142 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The other day, some lady (who seemed otherwise perfectly normal) kept looking over at my speed and upping her treadmill to match. Now, I have the attention span of a gnat, so if I'm going to run on a treadmill, I change the speed 12-15 times per mile. So that meant 3 1/2 miles of looking, copying, looking, copying...
    I don't know why, but that is irritating. So to the mysterious woman next to my treadmill: We are not in competition. I am running for fun. You are ruining the fun. Back. OFF!
  • Val_91
    Val_91 Posts: 36
    Options
    Wow. This is why I don't go to a gym.
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hates those that don't look like they worked out - I am sweaty and red-faced after. Definitely can't exercise with a full face of makeup.

Yes, those girls in their tiny little workout "outfits" with hair down & makeup done. I think if you look that good, you're probably not working out hard enough... but that may just be my jealously speaking :laugh:

Personally, I think it's sexy to see a woman "work"...sweat...grunt...clench teeth..