Things people do at the gym that you hate

Options

Replies

• muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I hate (HATE) when people are talking on their cell phones while on the treadmill or elliptical right next to me. If it's that important go out into the lobby or locker room or something. Jesus.

Yes. Distracting.

Jesus is awesome!

He is!
  • Kateee412
    Kateee412 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate when people not only have to use the elliptical RIGHT next to you when all of the other machines are open, but when they look at what you're doing. Keep your eyes on your own elliptical!
    Want to know why I'm pouring sweat and going slower than you?
    No it's not because your in better shape than me, Its because like a normal person I cranked my resistance up, while your busy being a gazelle on level 1.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Let's not watch the food network, please. I can't hack it :)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    There is far too much *****ing going on in this thread.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Its the gym.... people pay to use it. Unless it is killing you or hurting you in some way who cares move on.

People have some strange expectation that people are not going to be åss hats at a gym.

Yeah I have seen the majority of all these complaints but if it distracts you enough go home,
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    People who stare.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    And another vote for dropping weights. Specifically I mean the guys that do a set of bicep curls, then throw the bar down to make it seem like it's super heavy. I'm pretty sure your back and legs are what you need to put the bar down and you've probably never given those a workout. We only have two 5kg plate left because of this.

A 42kg dumbbell is bent and out of action because of being dropped, so now there's only one so I can't press with a pair now.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I hate when people not only have to use the elliptical RIGHT next to you when all of the other machines are open, but when they look at what you're doing. Keep your eyes on your own elliptical!
    Want to know why I'm pouring sweat and going slower than you?
    No it's not because your in better shape than me, Its because like a normal person I cranked my resistance up, while your busy being a gazelle on level 1.

You know, some people just are not that familiar with the gym equipment. Maybe they are looking and comparing what they are doing because it looks like you know what you are doing ?

I find all these "omg" someone is using the machine next to me comments quite hilarious.
  • maximus9898
    Options
    people texting for hours while I waiting to use the rotary calf or leg press machinet hey are on.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    There is far too much *****ing going on in this thread.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Its the gym.... people pay to use it. Unless it is killing you or hurting you in some way who cares move on.

People have some strange expectation that people are not going to be åss hats at a gym.

Yeah I have seen the majority of all these complaints but if it distracts you enough go home,

Guess the same applies to you. If you don't like people posting on a thread about stuff that bothers them at the gym then guess what you are free to do? GO TO A DIFFERENT THREAD! Geez.
  • kellyo15
    kellyo15 Posts: 51
    Options
    Dear Gym People - RE-RACK YOUR FREAKING WEIGHTS!!!!
    This. Especially the "beasts" who believe it's their right to pile on plates on the leg press then leave them. If your sister or mother wanted to use it, would you leave it and have them rerack it? Well then don't expect others sisters or mother's to do it either. Put your f.....ing weights back!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

ugh. once I went to use the leg press machine and someone had left 11 plates per side. Eleven!!!! I leg press a modest one plate per side and it took me like ten minutes to put the 20 other plates back. I've never been so angry. And there were a couple of guys standing around talking, obviously watching me, and didn't even offer to help. I hate my gym sometimes (but still love it most of the time!).
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ...women who wear MAKEUP for their workout...gross!!!!!!!! Your poor pores!!!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    Dear Gym People - RE-RACK YOUR FREAKING WEIGHTS!!!!

THIS!!
  • phangue
    phangue Posts: 4
    Options
    The man 1 treadmill over whose nose was running like a faucet. He kept sniffing and it kept coming back until he reached for the towel that you use to wipe the machine with and blew his nose in it repeatedly and forcefully. In between blows, he plopped the contaminated towel in the drink holder section without folding it so that the gross part didn't touch the machine:sick:
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I am generally pretty happy at mine. No one does anything particularly annoying

Maybe myself when I do a fart and I try to hide it

*looks around in disgust* Eurgh, wasn't me!
  • paleojamie
    paleojamie Posts: 191
    Options
    I mean regarding people using machines and lockers right next to you, I find it is just because us humans crave attention.
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not re-racking weights is the only thing that really pisses me off. It is crazy to me how much attention some of you pay to other people! I am so self centered during my workout that I can't say I've ever noticed whether or not another person is wearing mascara. And this is coming from an ultra femme lesbo haha.
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Punching the air while jogging on the treadmill. Hi, are you Rocky?
  • carebear1482
    Options
    When I'm in my "zone" on the treadmill, elliptical, etc. and the person next to me is staring at my time, calories burnt, distance, etc. I mean seriously worry about your dang self!!! Annoying!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The man 1 treadmill over whose nose was running like a faucet. He kept sniffing and it kept coming back until he reached for the towel that you use to wipe the machine with and blew his nose in it repeatedly and forcefully. In between blows, he plopped the contaminated towel in the drink holder section without folding it so that the gross part didn't touch the machine:sick:

I had something similar a few weeks ago. I was on a bike with my Nook, and no ear buds. (Yeah, I know... that's a peeve in itself for some, but I'd already done 40 minutes of lifting, had run the day before, and just wanted to burn a few more calories doing something low impact.)

The woman next to me kept clearing her throat and mini-coughing. Like every five seconds. "Ahem." "Ahem." "Ahem." And I know (hope!) she wasn't doing it on purpose, but it was really annoying and I felt like I was sitting next to Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter. Really... if you have that much of a throat tickle, go get a drink of water.

I switched bikes after about 5 minutes.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Punching the air while jogging on the treadmill. Hi, are you Rocky?

That's a legitimate training technique, so....

People that criticise other people's work out with little or no understanding of the specific type of training.