Things people do at the gym that you hate

Options

Replies

• nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I seem to be an old man magnet at the gym. The thing that irritates me most is when these old men come over and start trying to talk to me while I"m exercising. I"m not here to socialize with you AND don't you see these headphones in my ears? And I'm not a rude person by nature so I always take my earphones out to hear what they have to say only for them to try and hit on me. I thhink at this point I'm done being nice. It happens like 50% of the time. I hate talking to people when I'm trying to work out. Lol.
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow... I guess I'm pretty fortunate. The gym that I've been using either has very polite and courteous members or I'm becoming more patient as I age (highly unlikely).
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    the thing that annoys me the most, is people that complain ;)

So you annoy yourself?

The only thing that annoys me is when someone hogs a piece of equipment for a ridiculous amount of time. We have one squat rack at the gym I go to and when someone spends 30+ mins doing curls on it when I want to do squats I can get pretty annoyed.

Hearing some of you women get annoyed at guys staring cracks me up. I work out with my fiancee and I catch guys checking her out constantly. I view it as a compliment but it does bother her sometimes.
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The guy that files his feet in the steam room. People that leave disposable razors in the showers.
    People that open the sauna door because its too hot !

OMG I would have to say something .... No one really filed their feet in the gym locker room, did they ? OMG there might be violence, except I would be afraid they would put their foot-hands on me ....uggh :sick:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    When the person next to me on a cardio machine has their music coming out of their headphones so loud that I can tell what song they are listening to AND I also have to turn my music up so that I don't hear theirs.... Seriously... they are going to be deaf by the time they are 50.

Sounds like me :flowerforyou: It's the only way to drown out all the other people there and the annoying pop chart music.
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I seem to be an old man magnet at the gym. The thing that irritates me most is when these old men come over and start trying to talk to me while I"m exercising. I"m not here to socialize with you AND don't you see these headphones in my ears? And I'm not a rude person by nature so I always take my earphones out to hear what they have to say only for them to try and hit on me. I thhink at this point I'm done being nice. It happens like 50% of the time. I hate talking to people when I'm trying to work out. Lol.

haha ... ^^ this ^^ definitely
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    1- When people sit at the machines but don't use them, while they hang out with their friends.

2- People whose vocabulary consists solely of curse words.

3- People who ogle you the entire time.

4- When people don't re-rack the weights that they used. SERIOUSLY?!
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    only thing that really bothers me is when my space is invaded unnecessarily. I understand during peak hours it's crowded, but when it's pretty empty, leave a machines worth of space. IF you're waiting for me to finish using a machine, don't crowd me! I hate when people stand there, foot tapping or breathing down my neck.

I also hate when I have to hunt around for a matching DB because someone left it lying out rather than putting it back in the rack.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I hate (HATE) when people are talking on their cell phones while on the treadmill or elliptical right next to me. If it's that important go out into the lobby or locker room or something. Jesus.

I agree with this one....or when they talk so loud on the phone you can hear them through your head phones.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people ask me: "Are you done???" when I'm getting my 30-60 second rest between sets.

NO.... I'm NOT done. Thank you very much.

I do that.. Mainly because you never know when people are just resting or siting there farting around on their cell phones and hogging the machine... **** or get off the pot man... It's not your own personal gym.

To OP:
    Little kids that run around the weight area.. Yesterday there was this 10 yr old running around the free weight area dribbling a basketball like an obnoxious moron.. and the parents were no where to be found. Awesome.

Also, people that just sit on the machines and play around..There was this older gentleman on a machine that I wanted(it was a calf machine) and he was just randomly pushing the petals down and around, and when I asked him how much longer, he goes oh I'm not really working out, I'm just playing.. OK great, so that means you get out of my way and go play somewhere else because I have actual work to do.
    lol at the man, and i bet if the kid running around got hurt you'd see the parent/s right away.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    My only two real pet peeves at the gym

1) People who smell like they showered in perfume/cologne. Both genders do it. There's times I have had to move to another machine or another spot to get away from someone who just stinks of Axe or flowers or something.

2) People taking up space. To give an example... There's an area in my gym with no equipment, just mirrors. It's used for stretching, free weights, floor exercises, etc. It's not very big through. And yesterday, three girls laid there on mats for 10 minutes having a lovely little chit-chat. Then they did a couple crunches. Then they chatted again for a few minutes. I don't mind people socializing as long as they're being productive while they're doing it!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I must either be going to the right gym or very laid back. I find some of the rare amusements can make a fairly dull gym session a bit more interesting. The grunting, sitting on a machine or using a locker/shower next to mine is fine, wearing make-up and not turning purple doesn't bother me, we're all essentially there for the same purpose right?

I either use the weights for half an hour and go or pop my eReader on the elliptical and concentrate on that. Job done! : )

(edit) I forgot to mention, the gym is in the basement so mobiles don't work which is a result! : P
  • irishmist40
    Options
    what ticks me off

the people that dont use deoderant prior to there workout.....

the people that make LOUD grunting noises

the men who spend more time looking and themselves in the mirror than workin out (hah.. good for a laugh though)
    I am with ya on this one.......
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    the one girl who puts on make up before AND after she works out. and has to adjust her hair in the mirror every few minutes. oye.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people ask me: "Are you done???" when I'm getting my 30-60 second rest between sets.

I like this one! Obviously, if you were done, you'd be off the machine, so why do they have to ask??

:happy:
  • Farhanum
    Farhanum Posts: 13
    Options
    When someone stares at you run on the treadmills... WE CAN SEE YOU STARING VIA THE MIRRORS /facepalm

AND

When people act super tough on the bench press xD

Nothing else bothers me! Our gym plays music extremely loud, so those who use thier phones have to go outside! :tongue:
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Having the steam room just right and someone come in, cranks it up and leave a minute later.
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I hate (HATE) when people are talking on their cell phones while on the treadmill or elliptical right next to me. If it's that important go out into the lobby or locker room or something. Jesus.

THIS!!!
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

This! I hate it when they wait right next to the machine for me to get ready. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!
  • nursedb
    nursedb Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Most of the people I work out with are seniors because I get in free at the cardiac rehab center(courtesy of my dad who works there). Not that I'm hating on seniors but if I hear one more person say "It's too cold in here" while they SIT on a machine barely moving while the sweat pours off me as I bust my --- I'm gonna scream! Seriously if they want to sit and watch tv why don't they just hang out at home and crank up the heat! Hope I don't sound mean or anything....just sick of it!