Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Let's talk about...the Paleo Diet

Replies

• sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    another one for you, this one pretty much backs up everything said by the paleo people:

http://www.jacn.org/content/20/1/5.full

How so?

Do people actually read the studies before posting them?

The paleo people claim that emulating paleolithic diet the way to go. They interpret this way of eating, from what I can tell, by cutting out entire food groups - ditching grains, beans, dairy, and sometimes fruit. They come up with various rearrangements of the macronutrients, etc.

THIS particular evaluation of the Nurses Health Study that you cited says nothing of the such. It is merely points out how their findings contradict the previous recommendations of low-fat eating of the '90s.

In fact, your citation recommendations go against the fundamentals of the paleo diet:

"Moreover, the AHA major guidelines recommend the public to substitute unsaturated fatty acids from vegetable oils, fish, nuts and **legumes** for saturated and trans fatty acids. These guidelines, if followed, can have substantial potential in further reducing rates of CHD in the U.S."

Further, the cited article is pretty much anti-saturated fat, which is something paleo dieters either don't care about or seem to think is beneficial. There is one lady on the boards that eats loads of it and thinks it is good for her.

How you can cite this as supporting of paleo, I don't know, beyond a major reading comprehension fail.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    It all just boils down to snobbishness. You think your diet is superior. And you know what? It probably is. But that doesn't mean it's necessary or practical for EVERYONE to eat that way.

My brother's Mustang is a faster car than my Chevy Tracker. His car is frickin' gorgeous and I'd admit I kind of covet it. My Tracker is kind of goofy looking. But I couldn't afford the payments nor the insurance on a sports car, and it wouldn't fit my lifestyle. It's more important for me to have a vehicle that's good on gas, is good in the snow, is small enough that I can park it easily but roomy enough to have enough cargo room to lug all the crap I often lug around.

I'm sure your diet is very healthy. But my diet is fine for me. You can't or won't eat pasta and bagels and garlic bread and all the other foods I love so much... but I'm perfectly happy with my progress and health. If it gets me where I want to go... then that's good enough for me. It fits my lifestyle. Just like my goofy little truck.
  • another one for you, this one pretty much backs up everything said by the paleo people:

How so?

The paleo people claim that emulating paleolithic diet the way to go. They interpret this way of eating, from what I can tell, by cutting out entire food groups - ditching grains, beans, dairy, and sometimes fruit. They come up with various rearrangements of the macronutrients, etc.

THIS particular evaluation of the Nurses Health Study that you cited says nothing of the such. It is merely points out how their findings contradict the previous recommendations of low-fat eating of the '90s.

In fact, your citation recommendations go against the fundamentals of the paleo diet:

"Moreover, the AHA major guidelines recommend the public to substitute unsaturated fatty acids from vegetable oils, fish, nuts and **legumes** for saturated and trans fatty acids. These guidelines, if followed, can have substantial potential in further reducing rates of CHD in the U.S."

Further, the cited article is pretty much anti-saturated fat, which is something paleo dieters either don't care about or seem to think is beneficial. There is one lady on the boards that eats loads of it and thinks it is good for her.

How you can cite this as supporting of paleo, I don't know, beyond a major reading comprehension fail.

this excerpt is what i was referring to when i made that pervious statement. let me clear it up for your simple mind:

"A major purported benefit of a low-fat diet is weight loss. But long-term clinical trials have not provided convincing evidence that reducing dietary fat can lead to substantial weight loss [141]. On the contrary, there is some evidence that a diet containing a high amount of refined carbohydrates may increase hunger and promote overeating, which can lead to weight gain and obesity [142]"
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    these links are pertinent because the poster is asking for studies that show the paleo diet is healthy or best or whatever. these studies are showing that the main components of the paleo diet are in fact, HEALTHY! that is why these have substance on this thread. sorry to upset you with scientific facts. also, carbs are not the enemy. carbs are a necessary part of a healthy diet. its where the carbs come from. if they come from sources that quickly spike your blood sugar, then high ammounts of insulin are released and thus fat is stored. what spikes your blood sugar??? starches and sugar!!!! so eat carbs and plenty of them from veggies and nuts and other sources that occur in nature! god you people just dont like facts do you??

Why do you continue to post epidemiological studies? Did you read the OP? BTW you know what is also an epidemiological study, the one that everyone posted about red meat being bad for you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    another one for you, this one pretty much backs up everything said by the paleo people:

How so?

I also eat a lot of saturated fat and have nothing but improvements on my lipid profile.

I eat protein, saturated fats, lots of vegetables and some fruit a couple of times per week.

Lots of improvement in my overall health.
  • like i said before, im not arguing. this post was antagonistic in nature and i provided facts and scientific studies to support the main principles behind the "paleo diet" but of course for people who arent getting enough fat to their brains, that isnt good enough. oh well. and as far as me "missing out" on all those aformentioned foods, i feel 100X better now than i ever did, and i have celiac so i couldnt eat those disgusting things even if i wanted to. they make me sick to even think about now because i realize how bad they are and how bad they make me feel. enjoy though!
  • Acg67
    these links are pertinent because the poster is asking for studies that show the paleo diet is healthy or best or whatever. these studies are showing that the main components of the paleo diet are in fact, HEALTHY! that is why these have substance on this thread. sorry to upset you with scientific facts. also, carbs are not the enemy. carbs are a necessary part of a healthy diet. its where the carbs come from. if they come from sources that quickly spike your blood sugar, then high ammounts of insulin are released and thus fat is stored. what spikes your blood sugar??? starches and sugar!!!! so eat carbs and plenty of them from veggies and nuts and other sources that occur in nature! god you people just dont like facts do you??

I'm not offended or disputing the benefits of a Paleo diet, I'm only saying that its futile to try to win this argument against the OP.

Exactly. All the OP and a couple others that have participated in this thread is find ways to discount the studies when you post them, so I give up.

I see the success I am having as well as many others - mentally and physically.

I just don't see how anyone can rationally say that eating grass fed proteins and fat sources, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds (maybe occasional dairy or starches) is a pretty ideal way of eating that every human being could benefit from.

They don't go bashing the vegans and vegetarians even though there is more evidence that removing meat from the human way of eating is detrimental to ones' health.

First, when did I bash this diet?

Second if you took time to actually read the OP, I stated

"To preface this, I do think the main idea of eating mostly whole, nutrient dense foods is a good thing to follow, however I am not convinced on the evils of grains, legumes and dairy. Nor am I convinced sugar or processed foods are singularly evil in moderation. "
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679

Why do you continue to post epidemiological studies? Did you read the OP? BTW you know what is also an epidemiological study, the one that everyone posted about red meat being bad for you.

Now there is one today saying white rice causes diabetes.
  • and as far as the AHA goes, they license out their logo to "heart healhty" foods like COCOA PUFFS! that organization doesnt give a rats *kitten* about heart health. they care about clever marketing and million dollar licensing agreements.
  • just take a look next time you are at the grocery store and see what the aha calls "heart healthy". it will shock you what kinds of processed chemical laden high sodium foods they call healthy.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679

I'm not offended or disputing the benefits of a Paleo diet, I'm only saying that its futile to try to win this argument against the OP.

Exactly. All the OP and a couple others that have participated in this thread is find ways to discount the studies when you post them, so I give up.

I just don't see how anyone can rationally say that eating grass fed proteins and fat sources, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds (maybe occasional dairy or starches) is a pretty ideal way of eating that every human being could benefit from.

They don't go bashing the vegans and vegetarians even though there is more evidence that removing meat from the human way of eating is detrimental to ones' health.

Another reading comprehension fail?

"To preface this, I do think the main idea of eating mostly whole, nutrient dense foods is a good thing to follow, however I am not convinced on the evils of grains, legumes and dairy. Nor am I convinced sugar or processed foods are singularly evil in moderation. "

I don't really believe you started this thread to engage in serious scientific debate. I think your intention was to make people look foolish in attempting to do so as a way to demonstrate that no diet is superior overall.
  • Acg67

Now there is one today saying white rice causes diabetes.

Panic!
  • Acg67

Another reading comprehension fail?

I don't really believe you started this thread to engage in serious scientific debate. I think your intention was to make people look foolish in attempting to do so as a way to demonstrate that no diet is superior overall.

Now what would make you think that?
  • I'm not offended or disputing the benefits of a Paleo diet, I'm only saying that its futile to try to win this argument against the OP.

Well I gave up on the thread when I realised that I was wasting precious time arguing against a 'never grown up frat boy' who maintains a bad posture in his photo in order to maximise the appearance of his abs (yes boys...the 'lets hunch up and roll our shoulders thing')

I've decided it's better to let the self-appointed forum gurus and their vacuous bimbo fanclub to get on with it.

(yes, yes, I know someone's going to report me....I don't care)

hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    exactly. i dont care to get involved really in a debate but when most paleo people say they eat as much as they want...thats what they mean. they eat until they are done. there is no urge to snack and overeat bcause you are getting actual nourishment from the natural foods you are eating. there is no need to measure because your body tells you when it is done. on other diets that are loaded with crap foods with barely any nutrients its easy to over eat because although your calories are high your body is still starving for nutrients.

also, i found a finnish study that determined when a population was given larger ammounts of CLA (a specific lipid) their rates of cancer went down. what has the most dense source of CLA you may ask??? GRASSFED BEEF, which is one of the main components of a true healthy paleo diet. is that enough for you? probably not but good luck sucking on granola bars every two hours because your body is starving for nutrients.

So, basically you're saying that only people who eat Paleo eat grass fed beef? Seriously? You honestly believe that every single person who eats grass fed beef eats a Paleo diet, and that it's impossible for people that don't eat Paleo to eat grass fed beef? That may be the weakest argument I've ever seen.

PEOPLE WHO DON'T EAT A PALEO DIET ARE ALLOWED TO EAT ANY FOODS WE WANT THAT ARE "PALEO APPROVED." It's the Paleo diet that is unnecessarily restrictive on foods with no good basis for doing so. So, picking a random food item that Paleos eat really does not prove in any way how a Paleo diet is superior.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Thats not what i implied at all. what i meant was one of the main tennants of the paleo diet is to eat meat from natural grassfed sources. how you got your interpretation just proves you have no common sense in that fat lacking brain. really? the thing about paleo is that its not about restriction. its not a strict diet like atkins or zone or south beach. its just getting your nourishment from natural sources as much as possible. and i understand not eveeryone on paleo can get those types of meats. because they are pricey and hard to find. myself included. i cant always afford that. but it doesnt mean im restricted. how can a diet thats based on eating whole natural foods cause such controversy???

I think a lot of folks consider Paleo to be extremely restrictive. It's possible I misunderstood the diet (though I do recognize there are different 'templates' for it) but I thought there was a large list of foods that you simply couldn't eat, ever. If it's just about choosing healthier foods and accepting that you might eat the 'bad' stuff from time to time in moderation, I think of that more like 'eating smart' than 'Paleo'. Just my $0.02.
  • i mean my goodness. eating food with nutrients that are natural and healthy really causes this much of a stir?? i dont get it.
  • Thats not what i implied at all. what i meant was one of the main tennants of the paleo diet is to eat meat from natural grassfed sources. how you got your interpretation just proves you have no common sense in that fat lacking brain. really? the thing about paleo is that its not about restriction. its not a strict diet like atkins or zone or south beach. its just getting your nourishment from natural sources as much as possible. and i understand not eveeryone on paleo can get those types of meats. because they are pricey and hard to find. myself included. i cant always afford that. but it doesnt mean im restricted. how can a diet thats based on eating whole natural foods cause such controversy???

I think a lot of folks consider Paleo to be extremely restrictive. It's possible I misunderstood the diet (though I do recognize there are different 'templates' for it) but I thought there was a large list of foods that you simply couldn't eat, ever. If it's just about choosing healthier foods and accepting that you might eat the 'bad' stuff from time to time in moderation, I think of that more like 'eating smart' than 'Paleo'. Just my $0.02.

exactly. there are many people who have adopted their take on paleo, but the thing is there really isnt one paleo diet. the true focus is on eating whole natural foods. some people eliminate dairy. i dont. i tend to stick with it about 80% of the time and i allow myself to eat "non-paleo" 20% of the time. i have lost weight and my bloodowrk is excellent. there is no true paleo diet. its just a philosphy that people have misconstrued into this crazy controversy. anyone on paleo will tell you its about eating HEALTHY first and foremost.

i eat cheese and drink milk, i go out, i am a normal 24 year old. but the bulk of my food i try to eat un-processed. how can that be so bad???
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    i eat cheese and drink milk, i go out, i am a normal 24 year old. but the bulk of my food i try to eat un-processed. how can that be so bad???

And how is that any different than the way a lot of the rest of us who don't identify themselves as paleo eat?

I have some processed foods because it's more cost effective and convenient to buy them rather than make them from scratch. (Such as frozen pizza. I can probably make one from scratch for under the $5 I might spend on one, but I'd have a big pile of dirty dishes instead of a dirty pizza cutter and two plates.) But for the most part... it's meat and veggies, purchased fresh, sometimes frozen. I just add more starch (rice, pasta, potatoes), and as a runner, the extra carbs are used as fuel, and I love adding a some marinades and sauces.
  • Acg67
    Thats not what i implied at all. what i meant was one of the main tennants of the paleo diet is to eat meat from natural grassfed sources. how you got your interpretation just proves you have no common sense in that fat lacking brain. really? the thing about paleo is that its not about restriction. its not a strict diet like atkins or zone or south beach. its just getting your nourishment from natural sources as much as possible. and i understand not eveeryone on paleo can get those types of meats. because they are pricey and hard to find. myself included. i cant always afford that. but it doesnt mean im restricted. how can a diet thats based on eating whole natural foods cause such controversy???

exactly. there are many people who have adopted their take on paleo, but the thing is there really isnt one paleo diet. the true focus is on eating whole natural foods. some people eliminate dairy. i dont. i tend to stick with it about 80% of the time and i allow myself to eat "non-paleo" 20% of the time. i have lost weight and my bloodowrk is excellent. there is no true paleo diet. its just a philosphy that people have misconstrued into this crazy controversy. anyone on paleo will tell you its about eating HEALTHY first and foremost.

Who said it was bad?