Let's talk about...the Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    You really love building straw man arguments, don't you? Don't you even see how you saying that it works for you so it must be the best, studies and actual science be damned, is hypocritical? Considering you're going out of your way to tell everyone who is successful and healthy on a different diet that they are wrong? I never said anything about the Twinkie Diet being long term, I said his health markers improved, just like anyone losing 30 pounds on ANY style of diet.

And again, which Paleo diet are you referring to when you refer to the people who lived and died to put history on your side? There were hundreds of thousands of diet variations over the paleolithic time period, based on the exact period, geographic location, and technological level of the people in question. So, exactly which one supports your theory, so we can reject the other thousands that probably don't support your viewpoint?

no strawman. I never said science be dammed, never, never, never. I FACT paleo is all about science. Never said paleo is better, but to put your mind at ease I will say it now, it is better. and which paleo am I talking about, all of them. there are many aspects in common with paleolithic man, one being they did not eat grain on a large scale basis, another being they did not consume dairy on a large scale basis.

Back to science, I can see where you might confuse me saying I don't jump when someone says "study" as meaning I'm against science. One with little reading ability could make that mistake. There have been many "studies" over the years touting this diet, or this pill, or whatever, and over time they all turn out to be wrong. Fat is not the boggy man "they" said/say it is, red meat is not the cause of heart disease as "they" said it was.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    DId not ignore, just discounted it. I know what has worked for me, I know what has worked for others. I know which studies I trust.

You said it. How do you decide which studies to trust? Is it because they agree with your point of view? I've read dozens of studies, and have yet to find one that shows any specific diet having any long term superiority in terms of health and nutrition.
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So, after several days of this, I'm getting that there are not many empirical controled studies for a Paleo vs. Any Other diet. Am I correct?
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    So, after several days of this, I'm getting that there are not many empirical controled studies for a Paleo vs. Any Other diet. Am I correct?
    That's my take on it, too
  • freerange
    Options
    DId not ignore, just discounted it. I know what has worked for me, I know what has worked for others. I know which studies I trust.

You said it. How do you decide which studies to trust? Is it because they agree with your point of view? I've read dozens of studies, and have yet to find one that shows any specific diet having any long term superiority in terms of health and nutrition.

Glad we finally agree.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    So what did you have for breakfast, lunch, and what did you eat with your meat for dinner? I'm telling you right her and now, without even knowing your diet at the time, IT WAS NOT THE MEAT YOU ATE THAT MADE YOU GAIN 30 pounds, period.

If I actually cared what you thought, I would prove my point by eating enough meat that I gained weight, which I can definitely do. Meat isn't the only thing that contributed to my weight gain, yes, but it was one component. Overeating is what made me gain weight, and I can do that on a Paleo diet too, regardless of what you might think.

But you would not answer a simple question, what did you eat other than meat?

You're right, I did eat other things other than meat. But it's not exclusively the piece of bread's fault, it's the combined calorie count of ALL the food that I ate, including the stuff that is condoned on a Paleo diet. The point I'm trying to make is that it's still possible to eat in such a way that you gain weight on a Paleo diet. Didn't realize I spoke that cryptically.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You know, wasn't the lifespan of a caveman something ridiculously low like 30 years old?

I'm not sure I want to follow that diet...

I've made it to 35. and yes I am living proof that they cave men didn't die off we were bred into the general population :p

that being said there are many different body types and there is not any one diet that will work for everyone. I'm thinking of trying it
  • freerange
    Options
    So what did you have for breakfast, lunch, and what did you eat with your meat for dinner? I'm telling you right her and now, without even knowing your diet at the time, IT WAS NOT THE MEAT YOU ATE THAT MADE YOU GAIN 30 pounds, period.

If I actually cared what you thought, I would prove my point by eating enough meat that I gained weight, which I can definitely do. Meat isn't the only thing that contributed to my weight gain, yes, but it was one component. Overeating is what made me gain weight, and I can do that on a Paleo diet too, regardless of what you might think.

But you would not answer a simple question, what did you eat other than meat?

You're right, I did eat other things other than meat. But it's not exclusively the piece of bread's fault, it's the combined calorie count of ALL the food that I ate, including the stuff that is condoned on a Paleo diet. The point I'm trying to make is that it's still possible to eat in such a way that you gain weight on a Paleo diet. Didn't realize I spoke that cryptically.

And your point is? Everyone knows if you eat 10k calories a day you're going to gain weight, that has nothing to do with paleo, you only brought it up in a feeble attempt to make it look like paleo is the same as anything else, and it's not. people that follow paleo tend to not over eat, you may be an exception, people that follow paleo tend to be satiated with less, you may be an exception.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That's my take on it, too

Have you read this article from the UC San Francisco school of Medicine?

http://www.yaboga.com/paleo-metabolic.pdf

Pretty good one !

MyFitnessPal STAFF - This post has been hijacked because of numerous guideline violations. The OP's original statement has been argued out and has now derailed into an insult and attack thread. We encourage spirited arguments but personal attacks and or insults including stereotypes will not be tolerated. Thank you.

Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Glad we finally agree.
    Agree on what? You're insisting that Paleo is superior, I'm explaining that there is no one superior diet.

Or are you agreeing with my assessment that you only cherry pick data that fits your preconceived ideas and then claim those are the only trustworthy sources?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    And your point is? Everyone knows if you eat 10k calories a day you're going to gain weight, that has nothing to do with paleo, you only brought it up in a feeble attempt to make it look like paleo is the same as anything else, and it's not. people that follow paleo tend to not over eat, you may be an exception, people that follow paleo tend to be satiated with less, you may be an exception.

Really? Seriously???
    I don't believe in counting calories though. If your eating plan is fat, protein and vegetables, there is really no need to count calories.
    You need to go to a Brazilian rodizio, I can hit 10,000 calories in one sitting on just fat and protein.

My WHOLE point was that even on Paleo you may need to count calories, as I would. And in response to your comment about the tendencies of people on Paleo, they also tend to say they can eat just as much as they want without worrying about it. I disagree with that stance, hence my original post. Again I didn't realize I was so cryptic.
    I'm telling you right her and now, without even knowing your diet at the time, IT WAS NOT THE MEAT YOU ATE THAT MADE YOU GAIN 30 pounds, period.

That's a very big difference from 'people on Paleo tend to not over eat'.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,728 Member
    Options
    Bump. Because I just can't get enough. :tongue:
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Bump. Because I just can't get enough. :tongue:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • freerange
    Options

Really? Seriously???
    I don't believe in counting calories though. If your eating plan is fat, protein and vegetables, there is really no need to count calories.
    You need to go to a Brazilian rodizio, I can hit 10,000 calories in one sitting on just fat and protein.

My WHOLE point was that even on Paleo you may need to count calories, as I would. And in response to your comment about the tendencies of people on Paleo, they also tend to say they can eat just as much as they want without worrying about it. I disagree with that stance, hence my original post. Again I didn't realize I was so cryptic.
    I'm telling you right her and now, without even knowing your diet at the time, IT WAS NOT THE MEAT YOU ATE THAT MADE YOU GAIN 30 pounds, period.

There are no long term studies that show one is better than the other. We agree on that.

You posted stuff that I did not write. And when some one says you can eat as much as you want, it does not means as much as "you" want because obviously you want more than just what satisfies you, you have a mental problem with overeating. Most people over eat because they have a physical problem with over eating, brought on by excess refined carbs. A person on paleo does not have these physical problems, and stop when they are full. Maybe you should try it, it might help with your over eating problem .
  • freerange
    Options

Not really, because you were not eating paleo, just because you sat down to a 4 hour meal of 8 pounds of meat. The reason I asked what else you ate.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Not really, because you were not eating paleo, just because you sat down to a 4 hour meal of 8 pounds of meat. The reason I asked what else you ate.

You're STILL missing my point...I don't know how to be any clearer.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So after 500 posts we still don't have any scientific studies showing that Paleo is the best diet?
  • freerange
    Options

You're STILL missing my point...I don't know how to be any clearer.

oh you're clear all right, you tried to relate your eating 8 pounds of meat to being paleo, and it's not even close. I guessing you realize this, and this is the reason you won't tell us what else you ate during this period. Paleo isn't just one meal, it's a lifestyle.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    So after 500 posts we still don't have any scientific studies showing that Paleo is the best diet?

No such studies exist. So time to end the thread?