Let's talk about...the Paleo Diet

Options
1222324252628»

Replies

• _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters:

If we can't keep the debate mutually respectful, we will have no choice but to lock the thread.

Please read the MFP Community Guidelines and ensure your posts are compliant: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks in advance for your help.

With Respect,
    _Sally_
    MFP Forum Moderator
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Diets that have the potential to propel people to long life and well being are as varied as the geographical differences where long life is evident. Diet is just the tip of the iceberg and mean little in isolation, sorry paleo's or vegans, but true.

Thank you, neanderthin.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just went through all the studies posted here, in case I missed something. 4 of them were about whether specific types of dietary fat are good or bad for you, which has nothing to do with whether the Paleo diet is better than any other diet that involves eating healthy amounts of fat. Another study compared the death rates of vegetarians to non-vegetarians, and showed there was no difference. Again, what does that study have to do with Paleo? Because the Paleo diet allows meat? So do all other non-vegetarian diets...

Not a single study that was posted said anything about the Paleo diet at all, and none of them showed any kind of evidence of nutritional superiority over any other whole foods based diet. I keep using the Mediterranean as my example, because it's the way I eat. I see nothing in any of the studies shown that says Paleo is healthier than the Mediterranean diet.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Have we gotten to the bottom of if Native Americans ate corn or not yet? That was a claim in part 1

Also I would have hoped we could have touched based on this
    Also to this point, what evidence was there that the perceived health of Paleo man was from a lack of grains, legumes and dairy vs let's say a diet very high in phytonutrients or all the CV exercise they got?

Even if there is no evidence, I think it'd be an interesting discussion
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Maybe that perceived health was due to something other than their diet?