Food diaries: private or public?

Options
What are people's thoughts on keeping the food diary open/closed?

I'm curious to hear opinions on why you do what you do.

Mine is personally public because I like to see what others are eating so I figure it's only fair. This site is such a learning experience for me!

Replies

• katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I keep mine public because if I know that anyone can see it, I'm going to be more careful about what I put in there. I can't bring myself to lie about it so it gives me an extra kick to eat well.
    I figure if I'm too embarrassed to tell people what I'm eating, then I shouldn't be eating it.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i leave mine open. i like being able to see others as well, i like seeing how much they take in to accomplish their goal i feel it helps add to the support system :D
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I keep mine open as well. I feel like people can give better feedback if it is open. Especially when people are asking questions like "why am I not losing weight?"
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I keep mine public because if I know that anyone can see it, I'm going to be more careful about what I put in there. I can't bring myself to lie about it so it gives me an extra kick to eat well.
    I figure if I'm too embarrassed to tell people what I'm eating, then I shouldn't be eating it.

What she said!
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I close mine because I'm recovering from an eating disorder, so there are days where I eat far too few calories, and I got frustrated with people telling me to eat more.
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open because who cares what other people think I eat what I love and it happens to be super great haha!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Open. Feedback is awesome for weight loss.
  • nnylee
    Options
    . double post. D:
  • BakedBlonde
    BakedBlonde Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed, but I want to make it public. anyone know how?
  • nnylee
    Options
    Mine is closed, but I want to make it public. anyone know how?

Settings > Diary Settings > Scroll down to "Private", "Public", "Friends Only" or "Locked with a key". :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Mine is for friends only. Too many people want to offer unsolicited advice when I have it open. I don't care if you think I eat too many calories, disagree with me eating cookies, or whatever. I do what works for me and really? That is what I care about. But, too many people think they know it all and know what will work for EVERYONE else.

People who are on my friend's list know me and my goals. So, they understand why I eat what I eat. Plus, really? Why do other people care what I put in MY body?
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If they're kept private, no one can help you or tweak ur diet, how are we supposed to give u advice if we have no clue what ur eating and vice versa? Plus, what are you hiding??
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. So I guess you guys are able to see my diet, same boring healthy food every day. I can't wait until I can have some pizza!
  • ItsTiffanyFTW
    ItsTiffanyFTW Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I appreciate people's constructive criticism on ways I can choose healthier. I really do take a lot of the advice...
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open because who cares what other people think I eat what I love and it happens to be super great haha!

i think thats the best answer ive read lol. :D
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because when I first started here a couple people would always make comments about how I was missing meals even after I explained that it was because I worked nights and so I as always asleep during breakfast and could only eat before work and after because I didn't get a meal break. So I closed it and I have no intention of opening it again even though my situation has changed.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Mine is open - if anyone tries to tell me I'm doing something wrong that's their problem, not mine. I keep mine open because 1) IDGAF what people think of my food and 2) I like for people who are interested in what I do to know that I don't do ANYTHING special and I feel like I've been incredibly successful in my journey so all the bull$#*^ that people will tell you is 'important' like when you eat, how often you eat, clean eating, paleo eating, low carb, low sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no eating out, etc etc etc is not really something people need to worry about unless they have an ACTUAL problem (physical or psychological) that necessitates doing something weird.

Oh and that I blow into the red on my calories all the time and its no big deal.

(and by successful I don't just mean how much weight I've lost but how much my body composition has changed)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    If they're kept private, no one can help you or tweak ur diet, how are we supposed to give u advice if we have no clue what ur eating and vice versa? Plus, what are you hiding??

Your profile is only viewable by friends. What are you hiding from the rest of us? ;)
  • Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Public to friends! I like when others are also public, I don't want to say "congratulations!" on somebodies diary when completed when it is private, for all I know they might be eating 200 calories a day.
  • terrie107
    Options
    I have mine open as we are doing this with each other so why hide it. But I do eat way under my alloted food for the day so don't noone yell at me for how little I do eat! Basically always been me!