Food diaries: private or public?

Options

Replies

• momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I keep mine public because if I know that anyone can see it, I'm going to be more careful about what I put in there. I can't bring myself to lie about it so it gives me an extra kick to eat well.
    I figure if I'm too embarrassed to tell people what I'm eating, then I shouldn't be eating it.

I also have an accountability group of IRL friends who have joined me on MFP. I appreciate that they will check in on me and hold me accountable. I definitely make better choices when someone is watching!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Mine is private. It isn't because I'm "hiding" anything or because I'm "ashamed". I am more accountable to myself than I am to anyone else. I also don't want anyone else's opinion to affect my choices.

If there ever comes a time when I need help, I will gladly open it to my friends, but until that day comes, this works well for me.

What I decide to put in my body is my business.
  • paula29102
    paula29102 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine are private and they will stay that way. Feedback is great but I work with a professional who reviews mine weekly. Some people may mean well but when they criticize it tends to get me off track. We are all different and that's the way it should be.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Since I've been here, I have kept mine open for friends only. I just started a job that has me working til almost midnight, and I am trying to tweak my diary to accommodate the change. My eating/ meal times are nothing like they were before (I was usually asleep before 10pm), so I am hoping for it to even out. But I have such great friends, and I get great meal ideas from them. It's only fair that I open mine up, too. I think it keeps me honest! :wink:
  • DarkAngel525
    Options
    I close mine because I'm recovering from an eating disorder, so there are days where I eat far too few calories, and I got frustrated with people telling me to eat more.

Agreed. I'm in recovery and struggling with relapse so there are days I deprive, days I binge, and stretches where I do beautifully. It is just something personal for me that I choose to keep private.
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When I first started here, I kept mine private. That way, all the crappy stuff would be between me and God. Wel, imagine my surprise when the evidence showed up on ny hips and thighs, and butt! Grrrrrr then I made it public but I didn't log ALL I ate. You know, I'd have two packs of zingers but only log one, then get sad and angry because my "diet" wasn't working! LOL

The last couple of months something clicked, diary is open I'm logging everything INCLUDING beverages and I'm working out more and well, SURPRISE it's working! Momma said, I always had to learn things the hard way. :wink:
  • luvlyjanny
    luvlyjanny Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I close mine because I'm recovering from an eating disorder, so there are days where I eat far too few calories, and I got frustrated with people telling me to eat more.
    same here
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Many here are saying their diary is open when it fact it isn't...I guess it's what you feel benefits you most that counts...
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Mine is private. It isn't because I'm "hiding" anything or because I'm "ashamed". I am more accountable to myself than I am to anyone else. I also don't want anyone else's opinion to affect my choices.

If there ever comes a time when I need help, I will gladly open it to my friends, but until that day comes, this works well for me.

Exactly this.
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Open

Who cares about what I eat? Only me.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I love it when she speaks for me like this.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If they're kept private, no one can help you or tweak ur diet, how are we supposed to give u advice if we have no clue what ur eating and vice versa? Plus, what are you hiding??

nothing, I just don't need the judgmental BS from people on this board who think that you should only eat XYZ, and that eating anything processed, or with salt, or junk food,e tc, etc, and jump you for it. . .I believe I can do this with moderation, and if that means having cookie, so be it, and if I fall off the wagon, I feel bad enough without having anyone on this board jump me for it. . my friends can respond,b ut i see no reason to let the sharks that circle these boards see it
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    ditto! i also lost weight without this site and conitnue to do so, i don't take advice from strangers with their own agenda as well. i just like to read stuff on here, but I don't use the diary for calories just for protein and carb counts

Exactly this.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my "friends". Maybe as I continue this I'll put it to open, but right now I'm appreciating the feedback from those who can see it. If I feel I need more advice I'll open it up.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference, but mine is public. It keeps me accountable, and if I need help people can see what I'm doing. Without an open diary people are just stabbing in the dark. I find it super helpful. I don't think MFP would work nearly as well with me at all if I had it private.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Mine are open. I guess because it helps me to know others are seeing what I eat. I try very hard to log honestly. If I'm ashamed to have my friends see what I've eaten that meal or day...then I need to make changes. I don't keep it secret..because I spent years eating in secret. So my diaries are open...and reflect my choices everyday at every meal.

I don't think there's a right or wrong when you ask public or private...each of us needs to do what is right for us.
  • mickyjg
    mickyjg Posts: 49
    Options
    Mine is open only to my friends so they can have a look and make any suggestions if they want to :smile:
  • kcphilly
    kcphilly Posts: 71
    Options

Exactly this.

I'll 3rd this. It has nothing to do with being "embarrassed" by what I eat, it's just that I don't feel a need for feedback or advice on what I eat. I know what works for me and what doesn't. Sometimes I listen to myself, other times I don't. Having a public diary isn't going to change that. And being more of a grazer, if someone is looking for meal ideas I wouldn't be of help to them in that area.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't even know public/private food diary were options..lol
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Great feedback everyone! Thanks for your input. Very interesting to hear. -OP