St Patrick's Day and BEER

Options
What's everyone doing for St Patty's Day this Saturday? Are you going to stay away from the liquids or indulge a little (by incorporating them into your daily calorie allowances?) .

I ask because once every two weeks or so I allow myself around 3 beers (usually strong ones) on a Friday night. I still stay in the green for my calories, but STILL feel guilty for having them. Mind you, I am maintaining and not trying to lose weight at this point. I generally do not make bad food choices after my liquids.... no pizza, chips, etc......

How do you handle beer and/or alcohol calories, and do you try to burn more the day after indulging or continue with life as usual since you stayed in the green? Just wanna see how you guys do it! :-)

Replies

• seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am being good all this week so St. Patty's Day will be my cheat day. That way I can eat and drink to my heart's content. To prepare I am exercising for at least an hour every day this week before my cheat day and every day next week after my cheat day.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I drink beer nearly every day. It's good for your heart.

I might drink a little extra on Saturday. I have a 5k in the morning, then later I'll probably go out somewhere.
  • downhomechik
    Options
    When I want to have a beer I am drinking the bud select 55 calorie beer.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Having the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner, REAL traditional Irish soda bread, a beer and maybe a nice Irish whiskey if my hubby picks some up for us. :) Working them all into my budget, so it's all a matter of portion. :drinker:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am running a half marathon in the morning and they are offering one free beer at the end. I am so having that beer. I always crave a beer after my long runs or after races. Probably has something to do with the carbs, and it always tastes so good. Yes, I do plan on eating, just need to figure out where and what.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting in a good workout in the morning (weights, Spin class.) After that I have a hair appt with a NEW hair place that I'm SO nervous about.. I've been going to the same girl for 9 years but since I've moved so far away it's been really tough scheduling my appt's so I'm going to go to the place my sister in law goes... highlights, cut and a style *eek*.. That afternoon we have a wedding ceremony for a good family friend then a wedding reception all night! They are a big Irish family so it's bound to be a good time!!

PS. Don't feel guilty, beer is actually good for you, especially post-workouts! A guy I use to CrossFit with was a phd student in exercise science and he told me Guiness is the best choice :) I always have a 6pk in my fridge ;)
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm totally cheating (but it's not really cheating if your PLANNING the cheating, right?!?!). I LOVE beer...and parades...and drunk Irish guys...no way I'm missing out on all that fun!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    OMG I just spent 800 calories on beer this past weekend! :drinker: was fun at the time, but 800 calories :ohwell: I'm going to try and stick with raspberry/selzters and limes most of the time!
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling Ill be pacing a few friends during their first marathon in the morning. Hitting the gym in the afternoon, and "carb loading" that evening with a few of my finest laddies!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm totally cheating (but it's not really cheating if your PLANNING the cheating, right?!?!). I LOVE beer...and parades...and drunk Irish guys...no way I'm missing out on all that fun!

OMG I LOVE drunk Irish guys!!!! :love: :drinker:
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    for those who are running or doing things like that on st. patty's day (or any day) beer has been shown to hydrate BETTER than water. BUT, only have one (this isn't a free pass to go on a bender). One beer post-run is actually pretty good for you!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love beer, and have it regularly. If I think I'm going to enjoying three or four beers in an evening, I put in extra time at the gym, or get in a run. St. Patrick's Day isn't a big deal to me, I'll drink my usual two or three on a Saturday night. I have Victory Moonglow, Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale and Cigar City Jai Alai in my beer fridge.
  • sarahu8226
    Options
    i will be running my first 5k in the morning and then rewarding myself with a Guiness beer at the end! :)
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    Fortunately this isn't an issue for me :)
  • lysa4
    lysa4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'll be working out the day before, that morning and the day after....Plan on totally having every green drink in the place :):):)
  • MichaelWWoods
    MichaelWWoods Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I will be running a 5k in the morning then heading to a Friendly Sons event where I will certainly be overserved. I have made a weekly plan and am working towards making sure I hit a weekly total calores. thus, either by exercise or scaling back some food this week, I plan to save 200 calories a day allowing for an over weekly allowance of 800 calories. that should take care of about 3-4 beers and some nuts.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    I am running a half marathon in the morning and they are offering one free beer at the end. I am so having that beer. I always crave a beer after my long runs or after races. Probably has something to do with the carbs, and it always tastes so good. Yes, I do plan on eating, just need to figure out where and what.

love this!!!

I'm also running that morning…10 miles. That should buy me a few pints! And I agree, beer tastes even better after a long run!
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stick to Select 55s but have as much fun as possible! Happy St. Patty's Day, friends!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am starting my celebrating on Friday night... hopefully can get in my morning lifting session and then it is a day full of parades, Guinness, Jameson and Corned Beef... finished off with a big blow out party at my friend's house.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options

OMG I LOVE drunk Irish guys!!!! :love: :drinker:

haha, trust me, you wouldn't love him so much when he comes home wasted and reeking of alcohol...then you have to sleep next to him and whatever "odors" his body releases all night. haha! but yes, he can be pretty fun and lovable while getting to that point. lol. I'm hoping my Irish guy doesn't get *too* drunk this year.