St Patrick's Day and BEER

Options

Replies

• AislingRA
    AislingRA Posts: 56
    Options
    Now, the irony is, traditionally pubs are closed in Ireland on St Patrick's day. It being a religious festival and everything.

Eh nope wrong. It is a holy day, we have one of them amost every week here. The only two days of the year that the pubs close are Good Friday and Christmas Day.
  • AislingRA
    AislingRA Posts: 56
    Options
    Now, the irony is, traditionally pubs are closed in Ireland on St Patrick's day. It being a religious festival and everything.

The pubs haven't closed since the seventies and are open every day except Good Friday & Christmas day. And yes... IT'S PADDY'S DAY!!!!!

Ha, missed this post. You are so right mo chara.
  • sarge634
    sarge634 Posts: 42
    Options
    Im not much of a beer drinking but love wine,was wondering which has more calories and is more fattening beer or wine?
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    IT'S NOT ST PATTY'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.paddynotpatty.com

This will explain!

Have a great day everyone-get locked!!!! (That's Irish for very very drunk!)

From a true Irish girl :)
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Anything free :drinker:
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My youngest is called Patrick, he's got curly red hair and green eyes and is very much nicknamed Paddy. Patty is a girl's name here!!
  • DFWTT
    Options
    Im not much of a beer drinking but love wine,was wondering which has more calories and is more fattening beer or wine?

All beers,light and full,have more calories and carbs and generally less of what we want...the alkyhal. Excluding cheap wines like barefoot and beers like select55, blah.
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where the " Saint Patties Day" day saying comes from I'm from Ireland ive lived in Dublin all my live and have never heard St Patricks Day called that before Patty is short for Patricia which is a Girls name and St Patrick was a man!!

paddysnotpattys.com - You'll appreciate this!

Agus má thuigeann duine ar bith eile an abairt seo is féidir libh aon rud a rá faoi Lá Fhéile Phádraig, tá cúpla duine ar an suíomh seo agus ceapann siad gurbh Éireannaigh iad ach níor leag siad cos ar talamh na hÉireann riamh!!!

I'm from Galway btw :) x
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The good news is, Guinness is a very light beer so at least there's not many calories in it. The only thing lighter is actual "light" beers (bud light, coors light, etc). So drink up!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I fully plan on Saturday being a regretful day. We are going as a big group to an event called kegs and eggs to start the morning, then who knows. Going to be a high carb liquid diet that day haha
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I drink beer and/or do shots nearly every Friday and Saturday night. Sometimes I stay within my calorie allowance and sometimes I don't. If I don't, I workout extra hard during the week to make up for it. :happy: I'm sure St Patrick's Day will be no different than any other weekend for me! :drinker:
  • DFWTT
    Options
    I drink beer and/or do shots nearly every Friday and Saturday night. Sometimes I stay within my calorie allowance and sometimes I don't. If I don't, I workout extra hard during the week to make up for it. :happy: I'm sure St Patrick's Day will be no different than any other weekend for me! :drinker:

:laugh: <<< +1. This is the kinda stuff I hide in my food diary.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I will drink plenty of beer. I drink one day a week as many as I want.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    For St. Patrick's Day I am working, and turning a year older. Beer will follow as soon as work ends, I only have a window of a few hours to drink :(
  • sarge634
    sarge634 Posts: 42
    Options
    lol was thinking the same thing
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i'll be in vegas, so i'm skipping logging friday-sunday (1st time skipping... gonna be weird!)

other than the drinking, my food will be (mostly) in line, so not TOO worried about that. this week and next week i'm trying to hit the gym daily, so hopefully it doesn't have too much of an impact... but i'm sure tuesday's weigh-in will argue!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

:laugh: <<< +1. This is the kinda stuff I hide in my food diary.

Why hide it? We're all human right? LOL! I don't plan to swear off alcohol forever and since this is a lifestyle change for me I figure i better find a way to make it work! The only change I made after starting this journey was to extremely limit the fruity mixed drinks. Shots work faster and have less calories! :laugh:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

The pubs haven't closed since the seventies and are open every day except Good Friday & Christmas day. And yes... IT'S PADDY'S DAY!!!!!

That's why I said TRADITIONALLY.

Anyway, I am English and we don't do St Patrick's Day. I hadn't even heard of it until we had an American exchange come over to my school when I was 18 and asked what we were all doing for it, and everyone went "HUH? St What?"

Of course we aren't allowed to celebrate our national saint's day. Partly because apparently it's racist, and partly because he didn't exist and wasn't English. Which doesn't help matters.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    You cant gain weight from beer on St Patrick's Day... its a rule or something. :tongue: