cardio...........no thanks

Options
Losing weight is a numbers game.
Calories in vs calories out, depending how it swings you will lose or gain, keep it even.......stay the same

I am down 50+ lbs in my time here with little to no cardio in the traditional sense. once a month I run two miles.

I lift weights, sometimes in a slow powerlifting fashion, lots of rest and heavy weight. Sometimes, in a circuit training fashion, 4 exercises done in rapid succession with no rest in between. That is my cardio.

To each their own, but there are many people on here that think you need to spend 2 hours a day on a treadmill to lose weight, and that is not the case. I work out for 45 min, 3 times a week, sometimes 4 but rarely. That is it.

The beauty of the calorie counting game is that you dont need to exercise at all to lose weight. You should obviously for your health, but its not necessary to lose weight.

It does depend on your goals..........I have no desire to look like a marathon runner...........so running for extended periods would be pointless for me. If your goals are cardio based, such as lowering a 5k time, or running a half marathon, then that is a different circumstance entirely.

Long story short, if you hate cardio like me.............dont do it. Lifes to short to be wasting time doing things you hate.

Replies

• gemmaldavies
    Options
    completely agree.

u look at sprinters n they look fit, toned, musculay, young n healthy............... compare that to a marathon long distance runner :ohwell:

(my opinion though)
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I hate cardio, although I do some HIIT 2-3 times a week. Otherwise, I'm all about lifting heavy and getting it done that way. And unlike cardio, I enjoy weights! Sometimes I wonder when the rest of the female population will figure this out, but hey, I don't mind being one of the few women on that side of the gym.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

To each their own, but there are many people on here that think you need to spend 2 hours a day on a treadmill to lose weight, and that is not the case. I work out for 45 min, 3 times a week, sometimes 4 but rarely. That is it.

The beauty of the calorie counting game is that you dont need to exercise at all to lose weight. You should obviously for your health, but its not necessary to lose weight.

It does depend on your goals..........I have no desire to look like a marathon runner...........so running for extended periods would be pointless for me. If your goals are cardio based, such as lowering a 5k time, or running a half marathon, then that is a different circumstance entirely.

I run and I love running but agree 100%, your body, your life, your goals.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love cardio.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I love cardio.

Ever tried Tae Bo?

Back OT, fully agree. Doesn't matter how you get to that goal, it's all how you want to do it. I do a mix of cardio and heavy lifting, that way i keep muscle mass and get a visual number of how much extra i can eat :D
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    True, to each their own.. If you love cardio continue to do it, as long as you're doing something active to get you where you want to be. Personally, I do zero cardio... Not that I hate it, but my goal is fat loss and cardio just makes me hungry which causes me to eat more than I think im burning... If you love it or you're training for an event, then cardio is where its at. For fat loss and lean muscle gains, gotta hit the weights..
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started lifting more, I have come to hate machine cardio. I do enjoy being outdoors and playing sports and such.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love cardio.

Ever tried Tae Bo?

Back OT, fully agree. Doesn't matter how you get to that goal, it's all how you want to do it. I do a mix of cardio and heavy lifting, that way i keep muscle mass and get a visual number of how much extra i can eat :D

Ever heard of ignore?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like running and lifting weights. Lifting makes me feel strong, but I can run outside, and I like being outside.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I currently hate lifting, but I'll do it anyway because I love the eventual benefit I'll see and I'm getting class credit.

(Tae Bo Sucks.)
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    Its very true. Weight training > cardio
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Lost the majority of my weight without exercise. Pretty simple.
  • robdahlgren0506
    robdahlgren0506 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like standard cardio (running), but doing circuits is the most hard core cardio I do. Heavy lifting with cardio during the rest periods is what I've been doing and it is a killer!
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Lost the majority of my weight without exercise. Pretty simple.

Then you lost a lot of muscle too. Most of us would rather hold onto muscle and lose fat...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My HR spikes up pretty high when I squat heavy and do other compound lifts. Strength training does work the heart quite a bit if done correctly.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you is my moto. No reason to do what you don't like.

I love running, so I run. Don't like weight training much so I rarely do it :flowerforyou:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to do cardio but I enjoy participating in 5k races. It keeps me focused on completing a race a month. So I am always TRAINING for another race. I just started strength training last year and lifting heavy weights a month ago. I must say I enjoy the shorter intense work outs more! Skip cardio or minimize it if you are not a cardio lover. However, I LOVE Zumba and Latin dance LOL
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Thing is, most of the things i enjoy, DDR, Badminton, etc are natural cardio anyway. I do them as i enjoy it, not because its cardio. Lifting, for me, isn't actual enjoyment, but i know i should do it, so i do.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I love lifting.....(no weight thrower)
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i didn't care for cardio until i started trail running.
    if you go fast on trails you are unfamiliar with, it's kinda like a video game. or an adventure movie.
    good times.