cardio...........no thanks

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    completely agree.

u look at sprinters n they look fit, toned, musculay, young n healthy............... compare that to a marathon long distance runner :ohwell:

(my opinion though)

I am in training for my 5th full marathon.....so do I look awful?
    Do you?

That being said, it's really not fair to make such comparisons.

Sprinters do a lot of compound movements. I am talking heavy squatting, etc. So they get those bodies from the heavy lifting and sprinting.

I don't think I look awful....I think I look darn good for a 34-year-old who has had 2 kids. I've worked for this body and I'm proud of it!
    Then that's all that matters. Never ask someone else for self approval. You should know if you look good.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Long story short, if you hate cardio like me.............dont do it. Lifes to short to be wasting time doing things you hate.

Well said, I completely agree! I get frustrated when I see posts like "You should be doing this exact kind of exercise exactly this amount" or "you MUST eat this food/not eat this food." Um, if you hate it, no you don't! Weight loss shouldn't be miserable; none of us would be able to stick to it if it was!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Great post but I believe people are missing the point.

The point is cardio as means of weight loss is foolish. However, millions of people still do every day. Then they wonder why the still look fat. Cardio is not good choice for body composition due to high amounts of cortisol. Weight lifting and sprinting produces cortisol as well, however both also produce testosterone which blunts cortisol production.

I will never, ever, ever get on a treadmill again to lose weight. However, I do plan on sprinting because I enjoy it. Oh and I will eat those calories back.

I agree, but I was simply addressing the one person who seemed to be offended by an earlier comment to clarify what I believe the original posters meant.

Totally agree with your last two paragraphs as well.

It should be noted that runners and sprinters do it not for the physique but because they love the sport. That's really what it's about.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My HR spikes up pretty high when I squat heavy and do other compound lifts. Strength training does work the heart quite a bit if done correctly.

Well Liz, thank you for that lesson. I was going to mention that cardio works the heart so with that in mind it is good. I didn't realize your HR can be elevated substantially while lifting. I love cardio, I hate cardio, I am going to start lifting very soon.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    My HR spikes up pretty high when I squat heavy and do other compound lifts. Strength training does work the heart quite a bit if done correctly.

Well Liz, thank you for that lesson. I was going to mention that cardio works the heart so with that in mind it is good. I didn't realize your HR can be elevated substantially while lifting. I love cardio, I hate cardio, I am going to start lifting very soon.

Good stuff. OP had some great points about the benefits of lifting and how weight loss is really more in the diet than anything else.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I agree with this post in a way, that there a lot of people that think you have to run to lose weight.

I see people running out on the streets who look like they just want to die, and I want to tell them they don't have to run - walking can be just as effective.

(Of course I see people who look like the love running too, and good for them!)

Everyone has their own goals, and I admire people who actually like running. But that's not me, and I haven't had any problems losing weight/getting in shape by not running. It's totally a matter of what you LIKE doing.

I agree...you should do what you enjoy.

But the OP and the 2nd poster both made references to "not wanting to look like a marathon runner" - I'm just curious as to what is so awful-looking about us marathoners? Of course people of all shapes & sizes run marathons so that blanket statement confuses me. I've toed the start line of all 4 of my marathons with people of all shapes, sizes, weights and builds so I'm curious what the general idea of a marathon runner looking like is?

I never said there was anything awful-looking about marathon runners, i just said i don't want to look like one. But, that said, they have a far less muscular physique that what I want for myself. So for me, cardio, in the form of extended periods of running, would actual be damaging to my personal goals. And the whole point for me putting it out there at all..............is just to let people know that there are other ways to lose weight besides treadmills and ellipticals.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

The point is cardio as means of weight loss is foolish. However, millions of people still do every day. Then they wonder why the still look fat. Cardio is not good choice for body composition due to high amounts of cortisol. Weight lifting and sprinting produces cortisol as well, however both also produce testosterone which blunts cortisol production.

I will never, ever, ever get on a treadmill again to lose weight. However, I do plan on sprinting because I enjoy it. Oh and I will eat those calories back.

I agree, but I was simply addressing the one person who seemed to be offended by an earlier comment to clarify what I believe the original posters meant.

It should be noted that runners and sprinters do it not for the physique but because they love the sport. That's really what it's about.

If you're talking about me I'm totally not offended....just wanted to point out that generalizing a "marathon runner" is a little hard to do. Kinda like a lot of the posts where girls are afraid to lift heavy because "everybody who lifts weights bulks up." Again, a generalization. The elite marathoners (like you posted a picture of) are exceptionally low body fat, low weight. The professional body builders are super-muscular. But most of us "average" people can run long distance without being super lean or on the flip side lift some pretty decent weights without having bulging muscles.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I wanna be BUFF, dang it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Heathie1881
    Options
    Good points!!
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    First I was like :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    Then I was like :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
    Now I'm like:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:
    But more so :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:

This^^!! lol
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I never said there was anything awful-looking about marathon runners, i just said i don't want to look like one. But, that said, they have a far less muscular physique that what I want for myself. So for me, cardio, in the form of extended periods of running, would actual be damaging to my personal goals. And the whole point for me putting it out there at all..............is just to let people know that there are other ways to lose weight besides treadmills and ellipticals.

Like Walking?
    Cardio boxing?
    Foot fires?
    Kickboxing your wife?
    Intermittent fasting?

I'll take intermittent Fasting for $500 Chuck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

If you're talking about me I'm totally not offended....just wanted to point out that generalizing a "marathon runner" is a little hard to do. Kinda like a lot of the posts where girls are afraid to lift heavy because "everybody who lifts weights bulks up." Again, a generalization. The elite marathoners (like you posted a picture of) are exceptionally low body fat, low weight. The professional body builders are super-muscular. But most of us "average" people can run long distance without being super lean or on the flip side lift some pretty decent weights without having bulging muscles.

It is a generalization, but I believe that is what people have in mind when they think of "marathoner" body types.

Anyway... glad we could clear it up. Sorry for moving too far off topic.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

It is a generalization, but I believe that is what people have in mind when they think of "marathoner" body types.

Anyway... glad we could clear it up. Sorry for moving too far off topic.

Yeah, sorry about that.

100% agree with the OP, though, no need to do hours upon hours of cardio a day to lose weight. When I'm not in training for a marathon I don't do much cardio (other than HIIT) at all. Heck, even this week I'm running 30ish miles spread over 3 days and will probably only spend 4 1/2 hours max running.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Weights are awesome. I do really like running though. Nothing crazy. 3x30 min a week.

While I agree that cardio isn't necessary for weight loss, it is good for overall health. Plus, I don't want to be winded walking up the stairs :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I just want everyone to have fun! If you like to run, run, if you like to lift, lift. But there are many people that think they HAVE to sit on that treadmill all day to see results..........and its not the case.

I once asked my powerflifting coach in H.S. why we never ran or did any type of cardio, his response to me was:

"You want to look like a runner, then run, you want to look like a lifter, then lift."

Bigbear, thanks for this thread. People will always pick out little bits or read selectively which can derail a thread. Your message is a good one though, and one that should be heard. :drinker:
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack.

Is an exercise DVD like that considered Cardio?

I just started and I've never exercised before so I'm not using weights yet. I'm more interested in getting toned than losing weight.
  • SublimelyMe
    Options
    I do it for the zombies...When they come, weights won't help you outrun them...

I laughed so hard!

Cardio is like a necessary evil to me.

(and it makes me realise I'm alive)
  • darkchoc73
    Options
    great reply. do what you do!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Extended lifting sessions with adequate weight and supersetting are a great cardio workout and, for myself at least, keep me in an optimum fat burning zone. I love it! I also love to run so I'll keep doing it, at least 20 miles per week and a good amount of elliptical on non-run days. There is something to be said about the benefits of athletic heart conditioning and lowering resting heart rate and BP.