cardio...........no thanks

Options

Replies

• mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do not care much for cardio either. I think I'd rather do twice as much strength training than cardio. It just seems boring to me. I have a lot of weight to lose, and you are right it is all a numbers game. My doctor even told me that. With the way she told me to eat I will lose 3.5 pounds a week without trying. I do plan to put some cardio into my routine later, but for now I'm just doing strength training.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I do it for the zombies...When they come, weights won't help you outrun them...
    This is so true. If you expect to just break a zombies neck and fight off 20 of them by hand, then you haven't watched many zombie movies.

zombieland-rule-1.jpg
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am starting to come to the conclusion cardio is futile for weight loss. The key is diet, diet, diet. I have been lifting 30-45mins 3x a week, no cardio, and i have been losing on average about 3lbs a week.

I wouldn't say it's futile, especially since the whole key to weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. You can burn quite a bit of calories doing cardio. Diet is definitely a large part of the battle, so i agree with you there. However, if somebody is choosing cardio as their exercise of choice it's not futile. Any exercise is better than no exercise. And my personal opinion is a love/hate relationship to all exercise. I feel great after, but during i hate it.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

If you smash their brains in with a dumb-bell, you don't have to run.

Win-win.
    Try doing that when you have 10-30 of them running after you. I'd like to see you try
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's not either or. I think unless you want to be a pro marathoner or a pro body builder, balance is the best approach. It doesn't make sense for a hard core marathoner to build upper body strength as that's just extra weight they have to drag around the course. It similarly doesn't make sense for a hard core body builder to burn off the calories that they want to turn into new muscle mass. For the rest of us, we could all benefit by doing both.

Personally, I love cardio. It puts me in a trance. The "runner's high" afterwards is part of the reward. Plus, I really love to watch my fitness improve over time.

As much as the bodybuilders wouldn't want to look like a marthoner, I don't want to look like a body builder. I think in the extreme, they look grotesque and unnatural. A lot of women I know, including my girlfriend, want a muscular guy but not someone who looks like an anatomical model with the skin peeled off. Plus, you can be an elite body builder and be really unhealthy.

I don't like doing weights. However, I know it's smart to include weight training in my regimen. There is more than one way to skin a cat and also more then one way to lose weight. However, there is only one real way to improve your overall cardiovascular fitness, and that is to include some regular aerobic exercise.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

If you smash their brains in with a dumb-bell, you don't have to run.

Win-win.
    Try doing that when you have 10-30 of them running after you. I'd like to see you try

This is when the Highland-games training comes in handy.

Throw a hammer at 'em, or take a bunch of them out with a caber. A 20 foot log will crush a bunch of zombies.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options

Rule No. 1: Cardio.
    Rule 18: Limber up.
    Rule 20: It's a marathon, not a sprint, unless it's a sprint, then sprint.
  • shelleylynnb
    Options
    I happen to love cardio - especially latin dance and jazzercise. I really like to get moving with the music. But everyone has to do what they like to be successful. If you don't like something you won't stick to it. I also walk the 15 minutes to work each way and that saves me gas, which is so expensive. It also gets my heart going and burns calories. I think the walking is also a good stress reliever after work.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options

This and cardio is good for cardiovascular health! They recommend everyone, skinny or fat, get cardio exercise, it isn't just for weight loss!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight doing just cardio. I didn't add in any weight training until I got to my goal weight.

After having an EKG done and being told to keep it up after having textbook perfect results. I do it for reasons outside of weight loss. I do it for the other benefits it offers. I don't do ANY heavy lifting because I have injuries that prevent me from doing so. I do use the machines because I know the importance of weight training.

If you don't want to do cardio, don't. But, I'm tired of reading posts bashing cardio. I do it for more important reasons than weight loss.
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    So for those of us that have a significant amount of weight to lose (100+), are you saying that the weight loss is all about food and we should focus more on calorie defecit than burning calories? If we need to burn more calories, wouldn't cardio accomplish that better/faster than strength training?
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I feel like when I do HIIT (bodyrock!) I get a good cardio and toning workout. Absolutely in love with it!
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm a kickboxing addict and look like I lift heavy -- but I don't at all. I haven't picked up a weight in years and have no intention to.

My workout is heavy on the cardio but has also sculpted my muscles like crazy. For me, it's the best of both worlds.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    What about Zumba?

What about Zumba while holding hand weights?

What about Zumba while holding hand weights and wearing a belly dancer skirt that makes a lovely sound when you wiggle you butt just the right way?

What about Zumba while holding hand weights and wearing a belly dancer skirt that makes a lovely sound when you wiggle you butt just the right way and having an instructor who mixes up fast moves with slow moves and squats?
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm a kickboxing addict and look like I lift heavy -- but I don't at all. I haven't picked up a weight in years and have no intention to.

My workout is heavy on the cardio but has also sculpted my muscles like crazy. For me, it's the best of both worlds.

Yes! Kickboxing is amazing. Every woman i know that is a kick boxer is very toned, slim, and sculpted. I need to find a kickboxing gym asap !!
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Cardio equals a healthier cardiovascular system plus weight loss... You may be losing weight building all kinds of muscle but the benefits of cardio outweighs muscle building any day..

By the way, I do both :)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    What about Zumba while holding hand weights and wearing a belly dancer skirt that makes a lovely sound when you wiggle you butt just the right way?

The zombies will hear you, then come to eat your BRAIINNNNSSSSSSSS.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

It's okay, I can out run most of the muscle jocks I'll have with me :happy:

You don't need to out run the zombies, you just need to out run your friends
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Except that one of them is liable to pick you up and toss you to the hoarde as bait so they can run away.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

Except that one of them is liable to pick you up and toss you to the hoarde as bait so they can run away.
    This is very true, most women can actually pick me up and throw me :laugh: But that's okay cause I'll win them over to the point where they'd want to risk their lives to save me and not even think of using me as bait