IDEAL PROTEIN DIET

Options
1235»

Replies

• jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Ha! Just realised that... Damn Google for pointing people to old threads.
  • firestation12
    Options
    How much does it cost?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    hello

ideal protein is great if you want to loose weight fast. not so great if you want long term weight loss maintainence and a healthier you. ive had a friend do it, talked to my doctor and pharmacist about it and i in the health care field as well. my friend lost a lot of weight, but i was with her while she was doing this, her life was hell.at one point she was only consuming 800cals a day, how bad is that? you pretty much put your body into ketosis, which you know is a bad thing... especially for diabetics... so you can loose some weight. my doctor said stay the heck away and my pharmacist couldn't even believe it was a product. but this is just my opinion based on research and professional judgement...many other people may think different. it was used by a doctor once, so he obviously thought it was ok. but yes, i think that if you can stay away do so, save yourself the time,money and grief and just diet and excersise.
    That right there is funny, doesn't matter who you are.
  • firestation12
    Options
    Nooooooo!

Good luck with your weight loss goals, but the HCG diet is not a safe way to jump start the process.

The only reason people lose weight on that plan is you are only allowed to eat 500 calories a day. HCG has been scientifically proven to do NOTHING to help with weight loss or to make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day. It will not protect muscle, reset your metabolism or do anything else the snake oil salesmen that sell it claim. Dr. Simeons was a quack doctor. His "HCG protocol" has absolutely NO scientific backing and is not worth risking your health on.

The HCG diet has been studied by many scientific organizations, and they all concluded that HCG, even the "real" injectable version, is no more effective than a placebo, and eating only 500 calories a day for weeks, as recommended by that plan, can cause more health problems than it solves.

The MFP moderators have been cautioning members against attempting that diet because it is so dangerous.

Please read the articles on these websites before you try HCG. I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. Then they regained more weight than they lost. Now they wish they never heard of HCG.

The Government is now in the process of getting all that fraudulent stuff off the market, and it's about time!

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

http://www.tucsonmedical.com/pages/hcg.php
  • firestation12
    Options
    I know somebody who was on that diet. Lost a lot of weight, looked sick and gained it all back and more.
  • k27heffer
    k27heffer Posts: 2
    Options
    never heard of the diet. What is the diet and what would you eat . Thks It really sounds interesting. Congrats that you did so well.
  • mindimo
    mindimo Posts: 10
    Options
    How do you feel about it being a soy isolate based diet? I am HypoT and know that soy is awful for your thyroid. However, my doctor offers this and I would love to try it to lose 15-20 lbs. Also - what is the maintenance program like? Do most keep the weight off and are they able to go back to eating non-program foods?

Thanks for any feedback!
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATED the Ideal Protein diet. About 6 months before the IP diet, I had started eating whole, organic natural food. I had cut out *almost* all processed foods and refined sugars (I still occasionally ate yogurt, dairy, etc.). Once I started IP, I was constantly hungry, moody, feeling nauseous, had headaches, and generally miserable. I hated having to eat my food from a foil packet 3 times per day, be it chocolate pudding, crisps, soup mix, or a bar. My body started kicking it back almost immediately. After 2 weeks on the diet (they promised I'd feel amazing after about 3 days), I said, "to hell with this" and went back to eating real, whole, organic natural foods. I immediately felt better, and was still losing weight.

This was my experience. My husband, however, was so used to eating processed food that the IP diet worked for him, and he lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks. He got tired with the foil packets, so he quit, switched to my lifestyle, and is still losing weight. Not as fast, granted, but still losing.

It is just like any other diet or lifestyle change - listen to your body. Give it a good try. If it works for you, rock it. If it doesn't, don't force it. Try something else until you find what does.
  • boomchristine
    boomchristine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It really is worth it. I lost 67 pounds on the Ideal Protein diet. Their goal is to get you back to eating the right real foods. It isn't forever.
  • ttolnay
    ttolnay Posts: 3
    Options
    You can choose packets that don't contain soy or as much soy. It is short term so you should be fine. I avoid soy as well. :) My two main choices are the Herbs and Cheese omelet mix and the the Chocolate drink (no soy). This is my second time on IP. I did not gain it back after 2 years off but want to get to an even lower goal weight. I went paleo and kept it off no problem. The problem with people who put it back on is they go back to eating higher carbs and grains. No grains no gains.
  • ttolnay
    ttolnay Posts: 3
    Options
    Actually Ketosis is not "unhealthy". It is actually a treatment for children with seizures and in treating cancer. Our bodies are built to do it. Most pharmacists and even doctors are completely ignorant in the area of nutrition. IP works if done right and if the person does not go back to old habits and avoids carbs, processed foods and grains.
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My Gyn offers the Ideal Protein Diet. Very high protein and low carb. Only allowed 850 calories daily. Primary Care doctor ran a urinalysis and said protein level was a bit high. Was scared ketosis would cause kidney problems. Also, I don't feel well on this type of eating plan, so didn't do it.

Now doing DNA diet, based on full sequence DNA. This give you the EXACT % of carbs/ protein/ fat your body needs. Plus the exercise intensity and amount YOU need for life!
  • jejennings38
    Options
    My concern is that the Ideal Protein folk refuse to tell you the nutritional makeup of their products. It's not marked on their packages, not listed on their website, and an email question returned a message that they do not release this information because it could cause "health and legal problems" (try and figure that out). I am presently on the diet and would like to track my dietary input, but they make it impossible.
  • hkimbrou
    hkimbrou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started a weight loss program recommended by my PCP at the local hospital. It's been 16 days and I feel more energetic. I had a slip 7/14/2015 including taco bell scrambler, two cake donuts and boneless chicken bites. Needless to say my stomach is not doing well at this moment. Back to business today. The protein drinks and bars have been effective in reducing my carvings.