Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My friends wife was a vegetarian and they were expecting their first child. Her OB told her she needed to incorporate meat into her diet in order to get proper nutrition to allow the baby to grow. She did.

I raised two vegetarians from conception. My firstborn is in his first year of law school at age 19. My 16 year-old is a college junior. They are both in prime health, have attained their full expected height, and they both have black belts, and can kick some serious butt.

While your anecdotal evidence is lovely..........I am sure the board certified physician had a reason for making this suggestion.

Yes, ignorance. There's an abundance of that here and everywhere.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I raised two vegetarians from conception. My firstborn is in his first year of law school at age 19. My 16 year-old is a college junior. They are both in prime health, have attained their full expected height, and they both have black belts, and can kick some serious butt.
    So in other words you just have to eat vegetarian and this is possible? Black belts don't mean a lot in the martial arts world when it comes to actual self defense. Most martial artists can't take a clock on the jaw nor kick butt when on the ground.

You can be a meat eater and achieve all of the above........................and support A-1 while doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Didn't read through the whole thread but just wanted to add that I wouldn't put Ocho Cinco up there on healthy/vegetarian Mt. Rushmore. Maybe he doesn't eat meat, but he eats at IHOP, McD's, Wendys, fried chicken places daily (check his twitter).....he may be a blessed athlete (well not in NE), but that doesn't mean he's a health nut.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Yes because black belts have everything to do with being vegan
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My moral code does not affect you so get out of my refridgerator! I'll eat my bloody steak and enjoy every morsel. When I start gnawing on your young then you can get up in arms over what I chow on.

I'm not in your refrigerator, nor am I telling you what you can and cannot eat. Your moral code doesn't affect me directly, but it's a matter of speaking up for those who cannot for themselves.

Easy tiger, it's just the internet.

You might get more polite responses if you weren't so condescending in your remarks. Your preachy, holier than thou attitude is very off putting. I highly doubt you will make any converts aslong as you talk to people in that tone.

I really could care less how you eat. I'll live my life, you live yours.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I like how we struggle to find good looking vegetarians and vegans, yet walk outside and you'll easily spot a couple hot, awesome bodies that love meat.

We can also walk outside and find a lot of overweight, unhealthy bodies that love meat. It goes both ways.

OH, SO THAT! And plus, I can find a good looking Vegan when I walk outside. All I have to do is look in the mirror of a car :flowerforyou:

yes, there are many overweight bodies in the world. when it comes to athletes and those in top physical condition, the list of vegetarians and vegans becomes incredibly thin.

reason? it is incredibly difficult and takes an insane amount of dedication to ensure that you are receiving the proper nutrition to feed and grow muscle mass.

Oh please! I'm pretty sure the "proper nutrition" thing is such a myth. Any person could be vegan and be an athlete.

Any person could CALL themselves an athlete, in the world of professional athletes, people in the tops of their sports.........you will find a very very thin margin of vegetarians.............that's reality. That is not to bash vegetarianism........but I don't think finding one or two athletes that is CURRENTLY a vegetarian, means that they got to where the are by eating no flesh...........Once again.......I am not arguing that eating a vegetarian lifestyle, or vegan is unhealthy, that would be silly.............you can clearly be healthy eating that way. But we are going to keep slaughtering animals and enjoying them either way......
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    You might get more polite responses if you weren't so condescending in your remarks. Your preachy, holier than thou attitude is very off putting. I highly doubt you will make any converts aslong as you talk to people in that tone.

I really could care less how you eat. I'll live my life, you live yours.

SSORw.gif
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    20110512-big-mac-burger-lab-18.jpg
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    My friends wife was a vegetarian and they were expecting their first child. Her OB told her she needed to incorporate meat into her diet in order to get proper nutrition to allow the baby to grow. She did.

While your anecdotal evidence is lovely..........I am sure the board certified physician had a reason for making this suggestion.

So the board certified physician is ignorant...........because you didn't eat meat, and your kids turned out ok...........gotcha..........
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

the-veggie-grill-irvine-vg-cheeseburger-patty.jpg

I love this game!
  • _VoV
    Options
    Yes because black belts have everything to do with being vegan

His anecdote suggests that you can't safely grow a baby on a vegetarian diet. My anecdote demonstrates that you can with excellent results, including athletic prowess.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

I love this game!

One vote for hamburger #1
  • _VoV
    Options
    Jeff92se does this photo spam whenever he has lost the argument. Consider yourself the victor, Daffodil.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options

I love this game!

Mmm. Veggie Burgers <3
  • _VoV
    Options

So the board certified physician is ignorant...........because you didn't eat meat, and your kids turned out ok...........gotcha..........

Consult 20 board-certified physicians on this, and you will get 20 different opinions. So which one is right? I worked as an medical information provider to clinical teams for 20 years. I know a little bit about board-certified doctors.
  • _VoV
    Options
    He's getting mad, now. Pulling out his 2008 report from a specious online source, detailing a study from 1920--yes almost 100 years ago--isn't working. He's going to go pout now.