Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
http://www.listen2yourgut.com/blog/dangers-of-vegetarianism-vegan-long-term/

“Price took samples of native foods home with him to Cleveland and studied them in his laboratory. He found that these diets contained at least four times the minerals and water soluble vitamins–vitamin C and B complex–as the American diet of his day. Price would undoubtedly find a greater discrepancy in the 1990s due to continual depletion of our soils through industrial farming practices. What’s more, among traditional populations, grains and tubers were prepared in ways that increased vitamin content and made minerals more available–soaking, fermenting, sprouting and sour leavening.

It was when Price analyzed the fat soluble vitamins that he got a real surprise. The diets of healthy native groups contained at least ten times more vitamin A and vitamin D than the American diet of his day! These vitamins are found only in animal fats–butter, lard, egg yolks, fish oils and foods with fat-rich cellular membranes like liver and other organ meats, fish eggs and shell fish.

Price referred to the fat soluble vitamins as “catalysts” or “activators” upon which the assimilation of all the other nutrients depended–protein, minerals and vitamins. In other words, without the dietary factors found in animal fats, all the other nutrients largely go to waste.

Price also discovered another fat soluble vitamin that was a more powerful catalyst for nutrient absorption than vitamins A and D. He called it “Activator X” (now believed to be vitamin K2). All the healthy groups Price studied had the X Factor in their diets. It could be found in certain special foods which these people considered sacred–cod liver oil, fish eggs, organ meats and the deep yellow Spring and Fall butter from cows eating rapidly growing green grass. When the snows melted and the cows could go up to the rich pastures above their village, the Swiss placed a bowl of such butter on the church altar and lit a wick in it. The Masai set fire to yellow fields so that new grass could grow for their cows. Hunter-gatherers always ate the organ meats of the game they killed–often raw. Liver was held to be sacred by many African tribes. The Eskimos and many Indian tribes put a very high value on fish eggs.”

Replies

• Ziiox
    Ziiox Posts: 5
    Options
    oh god.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    oh god.

God was a meat eater. He won't be able to help you
  • sionnain
    sionnain Posts: 96
    Options
    *yawn*
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I was hoping this post would be in your own words, man. Come on. Just paste a a link and be on your way if you can't provide a valid argument against it using your knowledge and conclusions from research.
  • rubycube86
    rubycube86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and actually feel better now than I did when I ate meat. I think all diets have their weak points - for me it is iron. For protein I eat beans and other legumes. People think you can only get protein from eating meat but this isn't true. A vegetarian/vegan or anyone else who chooses a restricted diet has to do their research. If a person does their research they can reap the benefits of their diet :)
  • mick_02
    mick_02 Posts: 27
    Options
    *yawn*
    This! :) I am a proud vegan eater :D
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Vit D - synthesized in the body from sunlight.

Vit A - synthesized in the body from carotenoids, found in fruits and vegetables.

The only known long term risk from eating vegetarian and vegan are deficiencies in B12 and iron, both easily supplemented. There are, however, many benefits.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    *yawn*
    This! :) I am a proud vegan eater :D

Me too!
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Vit A - synthesized in the body from carotenoids, found in fruits and vegetables.

The only known long term risk from eating vegetarian and vegan are deficiencies in B12 and iron, both easily supplemented. There are, however, many benefits.

You do know they studied the Swiss and Eskimos right? Not alot of sunlight depending on the time of year.
  • blmcallister
    Options
    interesting but slightly incorrect. vitamin d2 can be quite easily obtained from non-animal sources. i believe what you (or the good doctor) are referring to is d3 which once was though to only be found in fish and lanolin. however, it has since been discovered in lichen. as far as the "x-factor" which your blog speculates as being k2 (of which the ideal source is actually fermented soy beans, NOT animal products) i believe could more likely be omega-3s, which although quite abundant in the fatty animal products you mentioned, also quite readily found in many nuts and seeds.
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any popcorn? I'm gonna need it for this thread.

I am a meat eater, however I don't understand why you would cut and paste some random link on the internet and not have a single thing to back up your facts. I have many vegan/veg friends and they are just fine. In fact, they are healthier than me.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't want to draw fire from vegans and vegetarians but I've never met a really healthy looking one! I always assumed that they just weren't balancing their meals right. But maybe it's because strictly vegetarian eating goes against that fact that we are meat-eating animals.
    If you are healthy and a vegatarian more power to you. BUT isn't it a good idea to keep an open mind particularly when it comes to your health? Also I'm not against vegetarian meals..I find them delicious and eat them a lot.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any popcorn? I'm gonna need it for this thread.

I am a meat eater, however I don't understand why you would cut and paste some random link on the internet and not have a single thing to back up your facts. I have many vegan/veg friends and they are just fine. In fact, they are healthier than me.

:happy: bumped for entertainment purposes (I swear I feel like I have perfected my trolling skills at MFP)
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    interesting but slightly incorrect. vitamin d2 can be quite easily obtained from non-animal sources. i believe what you (or the good doctor) are referring to is d3 which once was though to only be found in fish and lanolin. however, it has since been discovered in lichen. as far as the "x-factor" which your blog speculates as being k2 (of which the ideal source is actually fermented soy beans, NOT animal products) i believe could more likely be omega-3s, which although quite abundant in the fatty animal products you mentioned, also quite readily found in many nuts and seeds.

Aren't you assuming they did source it from something other than animals?
  • Ziiox
    Ziiox Posts: 5
    Options

You do know they studied the Swiss and Eskimos right? Not alot of sunlight depending on the time of year.

Even so, the statement "...more vitamin A and vitamin D than the American diet of his day! These vitamins are found only in animal fats..." is wildly incorrect. A single sweet potato has almost 100% the DV recommended amount of Vitamin A.

...Honestly, did you even read this before you posted it?
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Even so, the statement "...more vitamin A and vitamin D than the American diet of his day! These vitamins are found only in animal fats..." is wildly incorrect. A single sweet potato has almost 100% the DV recommended amount of Vitamin A.

...Honestly, did you even read this before you posted it?

I saw the point where they had more vitimans then the typical american. Semantics battle........Begin!

I think you're confusing what they "could have" done with what they actually do and what they study found. Defensive much?
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Plants kill you. Meat kills you. Oxygen kills you. May as well go kill yourself.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I don't want to draw fire from vegans and vegetarians but I've never met a really healthy looking one! I always assumed that they just weren't balancing their meals right. But maybe it's because strictly vegetarian eating goes against that fact that we are meat-eating animals.
    If you are healthy and a vegatarian more power to you. BUT isn't it a good idea to keep an open mind particularly when it comes to your health? Also I'm not against vegetarian meals..I find them delicious and eat them a lot.

BRENDAN_BRAZIER_Main.jpg
    Brendan Brazier, triathlete, vegan.

chadx-large.jpg
    Chad Ochocinco, NFL athlete, vegetarian.

This tofu is delicious.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options

BRENDAN_BRAZIER_Main.jpg

chadx-large.jpg

This tofu is delicious.

^^... This !!!
  • idonteatmyfriends
    Options

BRENDAN_BRAZIER_Main.jpg

chadx-large.jpg

This tofu is delicious.

This exactly!!! And WWE World Champion Daniel Bryan, and MMA fighter Jake Shields, who I believe has recently taken up a full vegan diet!