Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If you are HERE on this site, you are more than likely want to lose weight. Some need to lose more than others. If you need to lose a considerable amount and you are vegan, you certainly have some possible health issues. Excess fat isn't healthy. Not for a vegan or a meat eater.

I gained all my excess weight eating meat during my childhood and teens. As everyone knows, adipose hyperplasia of childhood is notoriously difficult to control, so like most people here, I am working on improving my fitness and health. Your point?

I ate plenty of meat growing up and have none of thoe problems. I need ot lose weight because of the plant based foods I eat, not the red meat. What is YOUR point?

Just some advice to u, if you want to lose weight you should reduce your animal consumption and up the fruits and veggies...they wont make u fat, they will make u healthy. You can't argue that.

you've never seen an overweight vegetarian? I hate to break it to you.................but there are quite a few.............not that we aren't all here for the same reason..............

Of course you can become overweight and be vegetarian. I never said you couldn't. Like I said in an earlier post, I could munch down endlessly on chickpeas. and I mean technically I could eat a plate of fries. It's all about choice.

you literally just said that, look above, "reduce your animal consumption and up the fruits and veggies...they wont make u fat, they will make u healthy"

if you eat an excess of anything it will make you fat............
    So you think people become obese from eating spinach, or broccoli, or kale.... um no anyway I'm not even gonna continue arguing my point with you because you're clearly an idiot.

You just admitted that you don't limit your diet to those things. His point is being vegan doesn't automaically mean healthy. And switching from lean meats to fruits and veggies does not automatically mean losing weight
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    If you are HERE on this site, you are more than likely want to lose weight. Some need to lose more than others. If you need to lose a considerable amount and you are vegan, you certainly have some possible health issues. Excess fat isn't healthy. Not for a vegan or a meat eater.

I gained all my excess weight eating meat during my childhood and teens. As everyone knows, adipose hyperplasia of childhood is notoriously difficult to control, so like most people here, I am working on improving my fitness and health. Your point?

I ate plenty of meat growing up and have none of thoe problems. I need ot lose weight because of the plant based foods I eat, not the red meat. What is YOUR point?

Just some advice to u, if you want to lose weight you should reduce your animal consumption and up the fruits and veggies...they wont make u fat, they will make u healthy. You can't argue that.

you've never seen an overweight vegetarian? I hate to break it to you.................but there are quite a few.............not that we aren't all here for the same reason..............

Of course you can become overweight and be vegetarian. I never said you couldn't. Like I said in an earlier post, I could munch down endlessly on chickpeas. and I mean technically I could eat a plate of fries. It's all about choice.

you literally just said that, look above, "reduce your animal consumption and up the fruits and veggies...they wont make u fat, they will make u healthy"

So you think people become obese from eating spinach, or broccoli, or kale.... um no anyway I'm not even gonna continue arguing my point with you because you're clearly an idiot.

name calling, classy, clearly you don't understand how people get fat, they eat more calories then they burn and its stored as fat. you can eat enough calories of anything to get fat. But thank you for name calling, it really helps solidify the usefulness of your contributions here.
  • babythequeen
    Options

ha, there was a lady a while back being rude to people. Saying she was a 300lbs vegetarian. I sarcastically said, "how does a vegetarian become 300lbs"

Cupcakes
    french fries
    potato chips
    soda
    donuts
    candies

all fall in to the "vegetarian" category.

No actually they don't because sugar is processed through animal bones.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

name calling, classy, clearly you don't understand how people get fat, they eat more calories then they burn and its stored as fat. you can eat enough calories of anything to get fat. But thank you for name calling, it really helps solidify the usefulness of your contributions here.

Dude you have talent. You got that person to flame you before their post count hit double digits. haha

then again, I suspect it's someone that we know here that's registered under a new screen name
  • babythequeen
    Options

Dude you have talent. You got that person to flame you before their post count hit double digits. haha

then again, I suspect it's someone that we know here that's registered under a new screen name

No I was just browsing the site and came across this thread. Of course I had to give my opinion. I feel so strongly about the benefits of the veg diet.
  • albinogorilla
    Options

ha, there was a lady a while back being rude to people. Saying she was a 300lbs vegetarian. I sarcastically said, "how does a vegetarian become 300lbs"

Cupcakes
    french fries
    potato chips
    soda
    donuts
    candies

ohhhhhhhhhhhh you must elaborate on this one............
  • babythequeen
    Options

Cupcakes
    french fries
    potato chips
    soda
    donuts
    candies

No, you can go do your own research before commenting on a topic u know nothing about.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg
  • albinogorilla
    Options

Cupcakes
    french fries
    potato chips
    soda
    donuts
    candies

No, you can go do your own research before commenting on a topic u know nothing about.

i don't need to do any research to know that soda doesn't come from animal bones.............are you in a cult or something, now I am starting to worry about you :-(
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Gas is produced from hard to digest foods. In commercials all the gas relief drugs the culprits are vegetables. Heart burn is a different animal and should not be confused with gas. So while y'all are harping on how great a plant only diet is remember that GasX is marketed to plant eaters. :) Now if you will excuse me I an going to go have a nice big salad with some ham and turkey on it. :)
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options

Cupcakes
    french fries
    potato chips
    soda
    donuts
    candies

I'm a vegetarian and I'm fat.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just had this discussion with some people so wanted to share. Just some random thoughts:

--Humans are, by nature, omnivores. Which means that we are physically qualified to eat whatever we choose with our big human brains. This renders arguments that we were "designed" to eat one thing or another useless.

--That said, vegetables/plant-based foods are very, very healthy. We don't eat enough of them by a long shot. We should eat more of them than anything else. Which doesn't mean we don't need anything else.

I tend to think there is more "danger" in not eating enough of what's good for us (plant based food, omega-3s, fiber, etc.), rather than eating the "wrong" or "bad" things. My guess would be that not eating enough of the above would be more dangerous than not eating enough animal products, though the latter are very effcient sources of a few nutrients.

--Red meat is optimal for building muscle, but it isn't necessary. It isn't categorically unhealthy but again it's unnecessary. Beef, in -particular, is completely unnecessary and a huge resource drain.

--Various human populations have historically lived extremely healthy lives without eating meat though most of those that I'm referring to do consume animal products like cheese.
  • babythequeen
    Options

Cupcakes
    french fries
    potato chips
    soda
    donuts
    candies

i don't need to do any research to know that soda doesn't come from animal bones.............are you in a cult or something, now I am starting to worry about you :-(

It doesn't come from bones. Sugar is often decolorized through a process that uses bone char. and sugar is then put into soda. Therefore soda is not technically veg.
  • albinogorilla
    Options

Cupcakes
    french fries
    potato chips
    soda
    donuts
    candies

It doesn't come from bones. Sugar is often decolorized through a process that uses bone char. and sugar is then put into soda. Therefore soda is not technically veg.

you are also mixing up vegetarian and vegan I believe.............but i prefer when you call me an idiot at the end like before..........for future reference.......
  • furrina
    Options
    Most of America's health problems are becasue we are country of fat, lazy slobs that don't exercise. Not necessarily what we eat. Europeans eat as bad or worse than we do, but they don't have nearly the health problems. Asians still smoke and drink their *kitten* off and again, not overweight nor do they have the instances of health problems. Hell they eat RAW MEAT

might wanna check that. many of the healthier asian populations are (mostly if not completely) vegetarian.

europeans have quite a few health problems from diet incl. heart disease. it's more of a western world plague rather than just America. The difference is they just aren't as fat, because they walk in towns and cities instead of driving everywhere, don't work 10 hour days sitting on their butt, and buy fresh food and cook at home more often.
  • albinogorilla
    Options
    Side note..............just for the record, i have nothing against being a vegetarian, or vegan or whatever. Its not for me.............but I am not against anyone else choosing that life........ That lifestyle wouldn't be useful for my personal physique goals though.

I am however against being vilified for eating animals.

I never chastised anyone for eating a carrot.
  • babythequeen
    Options
    Most of America's health problems are becasue we are country of fat, lazy slobs that don't exercise. Not necessarily what we eat. Europeans eat as bad or worse than we do, but they don't have nearly the health problems. Asians still smoke and drink their *kitten* off and again, not overweight nor do they have the instances of health problems. Hell they eat RAW MEAT

might wanna check that. many of the healthier asian populations are (mostly if not completely) vegetarian.

europeans have quite a few health problems from diet incl. heart disease. it's more of a western world plague rather than just America. The difference is they just aren't as fat, because they walk in towns and cities instead of driving everywhere, don't work 10 hour days sitting on their butt, and buy fresh food and cook at home more often.

AMEN Furrina, it's so nice to see people like you out these. For the record, Einstein was vegetarian. It's just the greatest lifestyle when done right.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I am however against being vilified for eating animals.

I don't do that either... I'm a vegetarian.. if you and me go out to a restaurant and you ordered steak, i would say, "oh, do you enjoy that yummy food?" I won't go "EWWWW STEAK!! YOU"RE WRONG!!"

There are some extreme vegans out there, but not all of us like that. So idk why some people would wanna start this silly thread in the first place.

If you want me to buy hot dogs or hamburgers for you, I do that.
  • furrina
    Options
    The poster who said she's never seen a healthy looking vegetarian made me laugh. I rarely meet a healthy looking meat-eater (or really any kind of eater) nowadays. Most people are eating too much processed crap and dealing with the consequences - fat, sluggish and sick. The whole-foods vegetarians I know have the most beautiful skin! I myself am a whole-grain eating, vegetable-loving omnivore who rarely eats red meat, and really only eats animal proteins a few times a week - and that is what works for me. A healthy diet is what's required for good health. There are many healthy foods, both meat and non-meat. People who eat a diet well-balanced in nutrients and low in saturated fats, funky chemicals, and processed sugars should be fine. Mind your own diets, people!

hmm...you're lookin' a little green there, though :wink:
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    LONG LIVE THE COW

Firing up the grill, cooking steaks, bump for good laugh.