Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• babythequeen
    Options
    Yes humans are animals, but the problem here is that we have moved far away from the hunting/gathering and toward a cruel system that exploits and tortures animals for human gain. I am veg myself, but I'm not against hunting/fishing. If you do want to eat meat then go get it yourself, don't go eating your factory farmed burgers. Any well-educated person cannot argue the fact that eating veg is better for the animals, the environment, and the self. And I'm not even going to comment about how you state that our agriculture system couldn't handle it if we all went vegan. How stupid is that to say? North america is in a crisis of heart disease and obesity which can be cured if people would just eat their veggies and cut out the meat/dairy.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    If you are HERE on this site, you are more than likely want to lose weight. Some need to lose more than others. If you need to lose a considerable amount and you are vegan, you certainly have some possible health issues. Excess fat isn't healthy. Not for a vegan or a meat eater.

Yeah excess fat isn't healthy. I agree.

So you're saying that we NEED to HAVE meat to lose weight healthily?
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Cavemen went to ALOT of time, effort and considable RISK to hunt down red meat for the tribe.
    That's because they hadn't invented agriculture yet.
  • ScottJG82
    ScottJG82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Any lifestyle is good if you do it right. I don't consider veganism as being a diet or a fad of sorts. Now if you mean diet as far as what you eat within your lifestyle then yes it's a diet in that sense. I've been vegan for twelve years, aside from the reasoning of seeing how the animals are murdered and how I personally did not want to contribute to the horrors of that and the factory farms and *kitten* who killed the animals, this is why I went vegan. I felt better and I could care less about what people think is right and wrong for others. It works for me and I've found a solid balance personally.

Now if anyone wants to add me and connect for vegan recipes, support, friendships, etc feel free to add me!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you are HERE on this site, you are more than likely want to lose weight. Some need to lose more than others. If you need to lose a considerable amount and you are vegan, you certainly have some possible health issues. Excess fat isn't healthy. Not for a vegan or a meat eater.

I gained all my excess weight while I was eating meat during my childhood and teens. As everyone knows, adipose hyperplasia of childhood is notoriously difficult to control, so like most people here, I am working on improving my fitness and health. Your point?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Cavemen went to ALOT of time, effort and considable RISK to hunt down red meat for the tribe.

That's when people started getting fat
  • babythequeen
    Options

Just because you are vegan does not mean you're immune to gaining weight. For example i love chickpeas. I could just keep eating them and eating them and they will make me gain weight. However if you look at the stats, vegans/vegetarians have considerable lower rates of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and have longer lifespans than people that eat meat/dairy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I think it's ignorance and poor upbringing that leads most Americans to blindly eat burgers made of questionable meat by-product served by a scary clown man.

so now people that eat meat are ignorant and have a poor upbringing............I am loving this topic!!! Good thing you guys care so much for the poor little animals, and think so little of your fellow man..........

Have you every seen a cow rape and pillage and torture other pigs then burn a village to the ground?
    Someone should make this movie.

I don't actually agree with most of your comments (nothing personal) - but that last comment definately had me laughing!!
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I gained all my excess weight eating meat during my childhood and teens. As everyone knows, adipose hyperplasia of childhood is notoriously difficult to control, so like most people here, I am working on improving my fitness and health. Your point?

I ate plenty of meat growing up and have none of thoe problems. I need ot lose weight because of the plant based foods I eat, not the red meat. What is YOUR point?
  • _VoV
    Options

That's when people started getting fat

Not even sure this is true, but probably more a factor of abundant food being available.
  • babythequeen
    Options

I gained all my excess weight eating meat during my childhood and teens. As everyone knows, adipose hyperplasia of childhood is notoriously difficult to control, so like most people here, I am working on improving my fitness and health. Your point?

I ate plenty of meat growing up and have none of thoe problems. I need ot lose weight because of the plant based foods I eat, not the red meat. What is YOUR point?

Just some advice to u, if you want to lose weight you should reduce your animal consumption and up the fruits and veggies...they wont make u fat, they will make u healthy. You can't argue that.
  • _VoV
    Options

Nothing, really. It's just that your statement that people are here to lose weight seemed obvious, so I didn't understand why you stated that at this point in the thread.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Most of America's health problems are becasue we are country of fat, lazy slobs that don't exercise. Not necessarily what we eat. Europeans eat as bad or worse than we do, but they don't have nearly the health problems. Asians still smoke and drink their *kitten* off and again, not overweight nor do they have the instances of health problems. Hell they eat RAW MEAT
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Just some advice to u, if you want to lose weight you should reduce your animal consumption and up the fruits and veggies...they wont make u fat, they will make u healthy. You can't argue that.

Fruits and veggies have caloric value. Because of that, they can allow weight gain if you eat enough of them. Lean meat as well as fruits and veggies have their own nutrient values important for healthy life.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Nothing, really. It's just that your statement that people are here to lose weight seemed obvious, so I didn't understand why you stated that at this point in the thread.

Because of all the vegans proclaiming how "healty" they are. Posting HERE. On a website desinged for weight loss. Being vegan does NOT mean health. Just means you don't eat meat. Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW. this thread has more replies than your thread. Nyah :)
  • babythequeen
    Options
    Most of America's health problems are becasue we are country of fat, lazy slobs that don't exercise. Not necessarily what we eat. Europeans eat as bad or worse than we do, but they don't have nearly the health problems. Asians still smoke and drink their *kitten* off and again, not overweight nor do they have the instances of health problems. Hell they eat RAW MEAT

No actually it's a combination of all the fast food and low physical activity. Europeans do not eat nearly as much fried food as Americans do. And as for asians, they use small portions of meat for flavour, not as the focal point.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

This is very true. I travel often to Europe, and I eat like a pig but often end up losing weight because I have to bike, walk, or climb everywhere. I walk an average of 3-4 miles per day when I go to Spain for work and spend the evening gorging on Iberian ham, wine, and cheese. I usually end up eating about 3000 calories per day when I'm in Spain also. I only eat 1500 per day here.
  • babythequeen
    Options

Fruits and veggies have caloric value. Because of that, they can allow weight gain if you eat enough of them. Lean meat as well as fruits and veggies have their own nutrient values important for healthy life.

Yes and calories are good when they come from nutrient dense sources.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

No actually it's a combination of all the fast food and low physical activity. Europeans do not eat nearly as much fried food as Americans do. And as for asians, they use small portions of meat for flavour, not as the focal point.

I don't eat much fast food but I still need to lose weight. But I agree that Americans tend to rely on high calorie/low nutrient foods too much. But we don't exercise as Asians/Eurpeans do. They walk to the train, walk to work, bike around, whatever. Walk 4-5 miles a day and see what happens. Read the post below yours. It's SPOT on
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

Because of all the vegans proclaiming how "healty" they are. Posting HERE. On a website desinged for weight loss. Being vegan does NOT mean health. Just means you don't eat meat. Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW. this thread has more replies than your thread. Nyah :)

It must take a really concerted effort to get overweight eating such a clean and perfect diet for so long...............peculiar.........I only know one vegetarian in real life and the individual is 100lbs overweight by opting to eat a tray of brownies for dinner instead of a nice piece of chicken parm............