Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wow, quite possibly the most ignorant comment I've ever seen. Comparing eating meat to slavery is a whole new level of ignorance.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Animals are property
    so are slaves. just saying.

You've crossed the line into the absurd a few times in this thread, but this one takes the cake.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian who cares about animals a great deal. Having said that, the ignorance and small-mindedness of some of the vegetarians/vegans in this thread is pretty sickening. Self-righteousness is an unattractive quality.

Standing up for what you believe in and expressing your beliefs on a public forum is not self-righteous. You obviously have a different belief. Why don't you enlighten us?

This self-claimed 'vegetarian' poster frequently makes statements of this sort. She likes criticizing other vegetarians in public fora. Only she knows why. Notice that she hasn't criticized the omnivores here, even though they aren't angels in every posting.

Frequently? I believe this is perhaps the second or third time I have even responded to one of these threads, mainly because they are pointless. In this case, I was reacting to the "starving children" remark, and the implication that people who eat meat have been poorly brought up by their parents.

Well, at least we know what you are reacting to, now. I've seen you use this general chiding technique before, and never know what you are talking about.

obviously you can see this was a counter to your post earlier about meat causing you to die . . . . . .
    People that enjoy meat, will not give it up. People that have moral reasons for not eating it, won't eat it. You can live a healthy life either way. The two viewpoints are where things get messy..............We (omnivores) think its silly to not eat meat, becaue we enjoy it..........we think its silly............whereas vegans(not all mind you) want to condemn people who eat meat as savages. There is nothing savage about buying a piece of a dead animal and eating it. If you have a problem with the way it became dead..........take it up with those people. Its already dead, so I am eating it, and its good.

Yes, the OP here got frustrated when I didn't pick up the gauntlet when he started making things personal on the 'Meat and early mortality' thread. I simply ignored him. So, he created this thread. Big whoop. If you are saying I was one of those people 'condemning people who eat meat as savages' read the other thread. I never said anything of the sort. I merely posted a link about a news breaking story from yesterday.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Wow, quite possibly the most ignorant comment I've ever seen. Comparing eating meat to slavery is a whole new level of ignorance.
    where do you see me making these comparisons?
    he said animals are property, therefore they should not have rights.
    i said that slaves are also considered property. should it not follow then that slaves, as property, should not have rights?
    besides, humans are animals. and what about the wild animals that have not been claimed by any individual or groups of individuals? would they then have rights, since they are not property?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    As for animal rights: Seriously? Why don't we start with starving children and make our way from there.
    personally, i don't know any starving children. i have never seen a starving child. i'm not denying that it's an actual problem, but i've never seen it myself. most of the children i see are obese or overweight, more often than not.

you are incredibly ignorant. while many children are overweight, many are not. many children go to sleep hungry every night.

http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/hunger-facts/child-hunger-facts.aspx
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    where do you see me making these comparisons?
    he said animals are property, therefore they should not have rights.
    i said that slaves are also considered property. should it not follow then that slaves, as property, should not have rights?
    besides, humans are animals. and what about the wild animals that have not been claimed by any individual or groups of individuals? would they then have rights, since they are not property?
    Look, I can understand that you've obviously lived an incredibly sheltered life, but If you can't see how bringing up slavery is ignorant and offensive, then I have nothing to say.

Do animals have rights? If they can survive by themselves, then they have the right to live until they die or are killed. If they require human intervention to survive, then they have the right to live as long as humans intervene to keep them that way.

I got an idea, why don't you walk right up to a black person, and tell them that animals are just as much slaves as their ancestors were. See how much they appreciate that sentiment.
  • jaymek92
    Options
    As for animal rights: Seriously? Why don't we start with starving children and make our way from there.
    personally, i don't know any starving children. i have never seen a starving child. i'm not denying that it's an actual problem, but i've never seen it myself. most of the children i see are obese or overweight, more often than not.

you are incredibly ignorant. while many children are overweight, many are not. many children go to sleep hungry every night.

http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/hunger-facts/hunger-and-poverty-statistics.aspx
    i'm being "incredibly ignorant" by saying i've never seen a starving child? here, let me quote myself: "i'm not denying that it's an actual problem, but i've never seen it myself."
    the fact that i've never seen a starving child doesn't make me ignorant. if anything, it would make me not worldly. which i don't claim to be.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    why are so many people concerned with Meat VS. No Meat
    what we should all really be worried about is Grease VS No Grease
    or
    Factory Processed VS organically grown
  • jaymek92
    Options
    Look, I can understand that you've obviously lived an incredibly sheltered life, but If you can't see how bringing up slavery is ignorant and offensive, then I have nothing to say.

Do animals have rights? If they can survive by themselves, then they have the right to live until they die or are killed. If they require human intervention to survive, then they have the right to live as long as humans intervene to keep them that way.

I got an idea, why don't you walk right up to a black person, and tell them that animals are just as much slaves as their ancestors were. See how much they appreciate that sentiment.
    would you have said that to me if i wasn't white?
    i never said anything about black slaves. there were jewish slaves. there were roman slaves. there were greek slaves. there are south asian slaves. there are sex slaves. there are debt slaves. i never said anything about race or even what kind of slaves. i simply said slaves.
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Animals are property
    so are slaves. just saying.

Jayme - I wish I didn't skim through this thread because I think it's so ridiculous.. but I just wanted to say that I agree w/ this statement. I hate to see people being so rude to you.
  • mes1119
    Options

http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/hunger-facts/hunger-and-poverty-statistics.aspx
    i'm being "incredibly ignorant" by saying i've never seen a starving child? here, let me quote myself: "i'm not denying that it's an actual problem, but i've never seen it myself."
    the fact that i've never seen a starving child doesn't make me ignorant. if anything, it would make me not worldly. which i don't claim to be.

You aren't going to SEE a starving child. It won't be evident in the way they act or look. The fact of the matter is it stunts their capacity to grow and learn and it is a serious problem.

I'm not going to even get started on your comment about slaves being the same as animals. The fact of the matter is you keep posting comments that are irrelevant to topic of vegetarians and vegans. Do yourself a favor, and leave.
  • jaymek92
    Options

You aren't going to SEE a starving child. It won't be evident in the way they act or look. The fact of the matter is it stunts their capacity to grow and learn and it is a serious problem.

I'm not going to even get started on your comment about slaves being the same as animals. Do yourself a favor, and leave.
    maybe it won't be evident that a child is starving. but the fact that he or she is 50 pounds overweight is probably a good indicator that he or she is not.
    as i said before, i don't know much about starving children, so i try to avoid discussing the topic. i'm done discussing the topic.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    4129322738_d4e5fafd54_o.jpg

meh... we've all heard these lame excuses that don't make any sense...
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Have you not seen a starving child on television, on the news, ads for sponsorship of starving child? That counts as seeing a starving child.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I see all efforts to promote a kind and compassionate world as valuable. Caring about animals doesn't mean you are indifferent to the concerns of humankind. You can care about and help both.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I see all efforts to promote a kind and compassionate world as valuable. Caring about animals doesn't mean you are indifferent to the concerns of humankind. You can care about and help both.

I agree... I do as much as I can to help humans and animals. Equal love and compassion for all.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Yes, that's well said.
    I do care where my meat comes from but I don't see anything wrong in slaughtering to eat meat. I don't feel its wrong whereas others do.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • mes1119
    Options

I'm not going to even get started on your comment about slaves being the same as animals. Do yourself a favor, and leave.
    maybe it won't be evident that a child is starving. but the fact that he or she is 50 pounds overweight is probably a good indicator that he or she is not.
    as i said before, i don't know much about starving children, so i try to avoid discussing the topic. i'm done discussing the topic.

baby-facepalm-cute-pictures.jpg
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options

Completely agree. But don't you think there are priorities?