Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I have an idea... Maybe we should all mind our own business and eat what we think is healthiest? Meat eaters will not convince an avid vegan/vegetarian to eat meat (especially online), and vegetarians will have trouble doing the same.

For a lot of vegans/vegetarians, it goes beyond being a matter of food or health, but it's a matter of morals and ethics. For some people, to sit idly by and choose not to speak out against needless killing is simply unethical.

I agree in standing up for your beliefs, (ESPECIALLY when cornered) so I do understand that. But to post a topic in a place where you will just be making people angry just seems like a bad idea.

I've witnessed a lack of mutual respect on these threads, and I don't see why there has to be.

Also, at the end of the day... no one is going to convince anyone of anything on here.

So lets all just be mutually respectful and let each other eat what we want- whether we disagree on a moral, ethical, or for just plain dietary reasons. Its a lot better than making everyone angry and in the end it really just pushes people away from whatever your personal beliefs are.

The best way of convincing someone of something, is by action. Not a bunch of words.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many starving kids that can feed.

Yeah, because the way things are seems to be working splendidly.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can come back later and read this thread. It looks very interesting (and entertaining) . Vegans and vegetarians are healthier than I am but that's just my opinion. I hate that I eat animals and really wish my husband wasn't a omnivore. I don't eat much meat though... rarely do. I mostly eat fish which is bad enough but I can't successfully do the vegan thing. I've tried and I'm sorry. Trust me, I could never hunt. But.... some people who live in remote areas such as northern Canada and Alaska have to hunt. I don't judge them. I try not to judge anybody. I wish we could all be a little kinder, don't you?
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My ultimate point in all this is don't make a person to be wrong if they choose to hunt/slaughter to feed themselves. In the proper situation I am sure anyone would.
    so do you hunt/slaughter all of your own meat? if you have lobster, do you go out there and dive for it yourself? are you out there hunting the cattle on ranches for your burgers?

Some of us do. Growing up, we raised our own beef cattle, raised our own chicken, and had a catfish pond! My parents hunt and as we speak I have a freezer full of elk, deer and turkey that we went out and killed. :)
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    So lets all just be mutually respectful

LOL are we on the same forum? It seems, the longer I'm on here, the less respectful and the more inflamatory people get.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian 2 years ago. I've never really liked the idea of eating dead flesh. It has always grossed me out but I (ignorantly) thought that it was the only way. That's how my family ate, so that's how I ate. However, as I learned more, met new people, and did some research about healthy alternatives, I realized that I could have a balanced, full diet without the blood and the flesh and carcasses of animals who deserve to live just as much as I do. Pigs are as intelligent as dogs. They have feelings and they families. Would you eat your dog?

I think it's ignorance and poor upbringing that leads most Americans to blindly eat burgers made of questionable meat by-product served by a scary clown man.

Is this a ****ing joke? "ignorance and poor upbringing"? You, yourself have just proven that even vegetarians can display mannerisms that would result from "ignorance and poor upbringing". Thank you :flowerforyou:

I was simply commenting on the influence that fast food and junk food has over Americans who may not have the means or the education to make healthier choices. I just said it in a funny way, as to piss off people like you.

The part about eating burgers made of questionable meat by-products being served by a scary clown man was funny. It was the "ignorance and poor upbringing" part that I found to be, ironically, extraordinarily ignorant.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The inability in animals to reason is why they do not have rights. I wish vegans cared as much about human beings as they do about my food supply.

So that means that infants and mentally challenged people have no rights?

Logical fallacy

Yes. Your comment that the sole reason why animals have no rights is because they are unable to reason (which is actually not true, it is free will that sets them apart) is illogical. This would imply that other beings, such as infants and the mentally handicapped should also, by default, not have rights.
    Which "rights" are we talking about anyways. Americans have very different rights than North Koreans. Are we talking about the right to life? Well, there are humans that we deem not entitled to life. That's why we have the death penalty in many states. Are these the rights that you speak of?

I would implore you to seek out education on the subjects about which you speak with all deliberate speed.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference to me, i am an omnivore, but how do you decide who deserves to be food? Like it or not, plants are also living organisms that respond to stimuli like light, gravity and touch. In fact, some groups even believe plants can feel pain. Take the Ethics Committee on Non-Human Biotechnology, for instance. This Swiss group recently came out in defense of our leafy green friends in a report on “the dignity of the creature in the plant world.” They argued that plants deserve respect and that killing them arbitrarily is morally wrong.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a pigs *kitten* if they cook it right! People dying of starvation in this world and were worried about meat or veggies. GTFOH
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Some people eat meat and some people don't. It's nice to have choices, isn't it?
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    For those of you arguing that pigs are as intelligent as dogs and "would you eat your dog", you obviously have not been to Korea.

I think its great if you are vegetarian, or vegan. But the idea that it is a "choice" for everyone is very narrow minded. Its a big world and the arguments for vegetarianism are only valid in the western world (if that).

Its a personal choice.

As for animal rights: Seriously? Why don't we start with starving children and make our way from there.

...in my opinion :)
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My ultimate point in all this is don't make a person to be wrong if they choose to hunt/slaughter to feed themselves. In the proper situation I am sure anyone would.
    so do you hunt/slaughter all of your own meat? if you have lobster, do you go out there and dive for it yourself? are you out there hunting the cattle on ranches for your burgers?

Some of us do. Growing up, we raised our own beef cattle, raised our own chicken, and had a catfish pond! My parents hunt and as we speak I have a freezer full of elk, deer and turkey that we went out and killed. :)
    wow! not many people have that much diversity. i know a lot of people around here hunt deer and some have cattle, but not many have 6 different kinds of meat!
    if you go and hunt all of your own meat, i have absolutely no problem with you saying that humans should be omnivores because we are strong enough to hunt everything (although i will disagree- and i'm not saying that's what you said). i do have a problem when people who only buy meat from the store or a restaurant tell me that i need to be eating meat because not hunting is not natural, because they're not hunting either.
    additionally, i didn't know catfish was regularly eaten... or is that just your family that eats catfish?
  • tistal
    Options

wow! not many people have that much diversity. i know a lot of people around here hunt deer and some have cattle, but not many have 6 different kinds of meat!
    if you go and hunt all of your own meat, i have absolutely no problem with you saying that humans should be omnivores because we are strong enough to hunt everything (although i will disagree- and i'm not saying that's what you said). i do have a problem when people who only buy meat from the store or a restaurant tell me that i need to be eating meat because not hunting is not natural, because they're not hunting either.
    additionally, i didn't know catfish was regularly eaten... or is that just your family that eats catfish?

Im pretty sure we are not the only family in the world that eats catfish! lol
  • jaymek92
    Options
    As for animal rights: Seriously? Why don't we start with starving children and make our way from there.
    personally, i don't know any starving children. i have never seen a starving child. i'm not denying that it's an actual problem, but i've never seen it myself. most of the children i see are obese or overweight, more often than not.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    personally, i don't know any starving children. i have never seen a starving child. i'm not denying that it's an actual problem, but i've never seen it myself. most of the children i see are obese or overweight, more often than not.
    There are millions of them around the world. You don't personally know all of those farm animals, either.
  • jaymek92
    Options
    lol i figured that, but it's gotta be somewhat uncommon, right? but maybe wherever you live it's a more common practice than here. you also said you have elk, which isn't really common around here.
    eh. to each their own! and thank you for not pushing your omnivore diet on those of us who practice a vegetarian diet!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    lol i figured that, but it's gotta be somewhat uncommon, right? but maybe wherever you live it's a more common practice than here. you also said you have elk, which isn't really common around here.
    eh. to each their own! and thank you for not pushing your omnivore diet on those of us who practice a vegetarian diet!
    Catfish is a very common fish in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Fried catfish is a Southern staple.
  • jaymek92
    Options
    There are millions of them around the world. You don't personally know all of those farm animals, either.
    no, but i have seen farm animals and i have seen animals being treated cruelly. have you ever seen a bull being castrated? would you appreciate your balls being cut off with no anesthetic?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I grew up in Tennessee, and we used to do a big fish fry after church at least two sundays per month. Most of it was catfish or bass. Goooood stuff. Catfish is a staple food in most of the south.
  • tistal
    Options

I live in Southwest Missouri. Catfish is a staple is some southern households! lol We go to Colorado and hunt Elk. My sis in law is a vegetarian so I don't push anything! :) She is happy and health, my family is happy and healthy. That is all that matters!