Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• dillonmerritt
    Options
    COMMMMPLETELY CONCUR WITH HUNGRY TUNA. The poster's comment wasn't based on personal experience at all.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Vit A - synthesized in the body from carotenoids, found in fruits and vegetables.

The only known long term risk from eating vegetarian and vegan are deficiencies in B12 and iron, both easily supplemented. There are, however, many benefits.

Some people not good at converting carotenoids to vit A.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    LONG LIVE THE COW
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I disagree with this..I am a vegetarian and I have never felt better in all my life..
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm an omnivore. I was created that way. The end.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'm an omnivore. I was created that way. The end.

:flowerforyou:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Today, people can thrive on all types of diets but put them in the middle of no-where and have them fend for themselves and catch and slaughter their own food and its a different story.
    So, yes you can achieve health on vegan or vegetarian diets when you have access to your particular foods.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I have an idea... Maybe we should all mind our own business and eat what we think is healthiest? Meat eaters will not convince an avid vegan/vegetarian to eat meat (especially online), and vegetarians will have trouble doing the same.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Let's talk the dangers of "Pink Slime" and so called beef diets.....ICK
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think we shouldn't bash a particular way of eating until we've tried it.

I personally have tried a vegetarian lifestyle and could not deal with it because it made me feel horrible. I also can't eat a lot of carbs because my liver does not process them properly. I also can't eat gluten. So, I guess I get most of my energy from meats.

I respect the ideas behind the vegetarian and vegan people because a lot of it has to do with their opposition to animal abuse. Some just do not like how they feel when they eat meat. I am sure there are a multitude of other reasons. My friend decided to go vegan because he was disgusted they used beef matter in some fruit pies he used to eat. He is happy and healthy.

Nobody likes their way of eating or doing something questioned or attacked. It is very obvious that people get very sensitive about these issues on here.

Do what works for you. Listen to your body. This should be a site for support, not bashing of other's ideas.

Also, I think a lot of it boils down to genetics and other habits we may have... and fate, luck, or whatever you want to call it.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't want to draw fire from vegans and vegetarians but I've never met a really healthy looking one! I always assumed that they just weren't balancing their meals right. But maybe it's because strictly vegetarian eating goes against that fact that we are meat-eating animals.
    If you are healthy and a vegatarian more power to you. BUT isn't it a good idea to keep an open mind particularly when it comes to your health? Also I'm not against vegetarian meals..I find them delicious and eat them a lot.

Good grief, that old argument?!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't want to draw fire from vegans and vegetarians but I've never met a really healthy looking one! I always assumed that they just weren't balancing their meals right. But maybe it's because strictly vegetarian eating goes against that fact that we are meat-eating animals.
    If you are healthy and a vegatarian more power to you. BUT isn't it a good idea to keep an open mind particularly when it comes to your health? Also I'm not against vegetarian meals..I find them delicious and eat them a lot.

I am not sure where you live, but there are PLENTY of healthy vegetarians in the world. We are not 'made to be meat eaters' - that is a total fallacy by meat eaters trying to justify their diet. In fact, if someone has been a vegetarian for some time, eating meat will actually make them ill because they no longer produce an enzyme that we need to process meat. If that enzyme stops being produced if you stop eating meat, how can you say we are 'made to eat meat'. It would be more accurate to say we can adapt to eat meat.

Obviously there are unhealthy vegetarians just as there are unhealthy meat eaters. It should also be noted, that there are a variety of reasons why people do not eat meat - not just for health reasons.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

BRENDAN_BRAZIER_Main.jpg
    Brendan Brazier, triathlete, vegan.

chadx-large.jpg
    Chad Ochocinco, NFL athlete, vegetarian.

This tofu is delicious.

This exactly!!! And WWE World Champion Daniel Bryan, and MMA fighter Jake Shields, who I believe has recently taken up a full vegan diet!

LOVE IT!!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest long term effect is everyone thinks you're an ahole

You win the thread!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    This will be entertaining to read.....until it gets locked of course. I'll check back regularily to see how it all goes down......all while eating my completely VEGAN foods.

Never felt better in my life.......vegan lifestyle is the way for me.

**I am not swiss or an eskimo so I don't plan on eating like one**
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    I have an idea... Maybe we should all mind our own business and eat what we think is healthiest? Meat eaters will not convince an avid vegan/vegetarian to eat meat (especially online), and vegetarians will have trouble doing the same.

For a lot of vegans/vegetarians, it goes beyond being a matter of food or health, but it's a matter of morals and ethics. For some people, to sit idly by and choose not to speak out against needless killing is simply unethical.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    4 seperate animals died to feed me today, and another 4 will die tomorrow, and again the next day........sometimes many many more............
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Plants kill you. Meat kills you. Oxygen kills you. May as well go kill yourself.

LOL.......zombies kill too!!
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    4 seperate animals died to feed me today, and another 4 will die tomorrow, and again the next day........sometimes many many more............

And the fact that you are proud of that makes my heart hurt a little.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

And the fact that you are proud of that makes my heart hurt a little.

animals are delicious.................