Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't want to draw fire from vegans and vegetarians but I've never met a really healthy looking one! I always assumed that they just weren't balancing their meals right. But maybe it's because strictly vegetarian eating goes against that fact that we are meat-eating animals.
    If you are healthy and a vegatarian more power to you. BUT isn't it a good idea to keep an open mind particularly when it comes to your health? Also I'm not against vegetarian meals..I find them delicious and eat them a lot.

My daughter is a vegetarian and has been for 4 years now. She was a vegan but found it too hard to maintain while living on campus at college and while on vacation. She is fabulously healthy. Thin, toned, thick long hair, beautiful skin and nails, works out several times a week, and in 1.75 years away at college, has never had a sick day. Maybe you need to expand your circle of people you interact with.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

In fact, if someone has been a vegetarian for some time, eating meat will actually make them ill because they no longer produce an enzyme that we need to process meat. If that enzyme stops being produced if you stop eating meat, how can you say we are 'made to eat meat'. It would be more accurate to say we can adapt to eat meat.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that we adapt to NOT eating meat.

Also, question for the vegetarians. Are you vegetarian for health reasons or because of moral ones? If you lived on a farm and knew your cows and such are being treated right and fed right and all that jazz, could you eat those animals?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    4 seperate animals died to feed me today, and another 4 will die tomorrow, and again the next day........sometimes many many more............

And the fact that you are proud of that makes my heart hurt a little.

animals are delicious.................

Sweet justification, bro.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    4 seperate animals died to feed me today, and another 4 will die tomorrow, and again the next day........sometimes many many more............

Separate*

If you're gonna be a douche, you might as well spell correctly

whose the douche...............the spelling nazi, thats who
  • idonteatmyfriends
    Options

In fact, if someone has been a vegetarian for some time, eating meat will actually make them ill because they no longer produce an enzyme that we need to process meat. If that enzyme stops being produced if you stop eating meat, how can you say we are 'made to eat meat'. It would be more accurate to say we can adapt to eat meat.

Also, question for the vegetarians. Are you vegetarian for health reasons or because of moral ones? If you lived on a farm and knew your cows and such are being treated right and fed right and all that jazz, could you eat those animals?

I was originally vegetarian for ethical reasons, and ethical reasons are why I became vegan. Personally, I would never go back to eating meat because I don't think I could enjoy it. When it is possible for me, I hope to re-home rescued battery hens to live in a large field (if I get rich and can afford a nice house with a field haha) and then I think I would feel okay eating their eggs :)
  • hellokittyhorror
    hellokittyhorror Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Two women I admire on each side of the issue:

Ellen DeGeneres on being vegan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeSA2j4oiDA

Jillian Michaels on not being vegan:
    http://castroller.com/Podcasts/TheJillianMichaels/2433794
  • NanniesKitchen
    Options
    GO VEGAN!

33vp8i1.jpg
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Can people stop trying to convince people that eating meat or not eating meat is bad? Just let people make their own dietary choices.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Nope, not me. Those who eat veg*n or any variation thereof may have very different reasons for their decision, so one cannot speak for all. What is acceptable to one is not to another, just like within any other group of people.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

Absolutely moral. Animals were not put here for us, and we have no right over their bodies, their offspring, or their secretions.

I don't believe in exploiting animals, no matter how "nicely" they are treated. Anything that ends in slaughter or exploitation is not "nice."
  • spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

33vp8i1.jpg

mmmm . . . BACON!!
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have an idea... Maybe we should all mind our own business and eat what we think is healthiest? Meat eaters will not convince an avid vegan/vegetarian to eat meat (especially online), and vegetarians will have trouble doing the same.

This is the most intelligent reply on here! This topic has burnt itself out...getting up there with politics and religion...jeez.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    I have an idea... Maybe we should all mind our own business and eat what we think is healthiest? Meat eaters will not convince an avid vegan/vegetarian to eat meat (especially online), and vegetarians will have trouble doing the same.

This is the most intelligent reply on here! This topic has burnt itself out...getting up there with politics and religion...jeez.

Then kindly navigate away.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The poster who said she's never seen a healthy looking vegetarian made me laugh. I rarely meet a healthy looking meat-eater (or really any kind of eater) nowadays. Most people are eating too much processed crap and dealing with the consequences - fat, sluggish and sick. The whole-foods vegetarians I know have the most beautiful skin! I myself am a whole-grain eating, vegetable-loving omnivore who rarely eats red meat, and really only eats animal proteins a few times a week - and that is what works for me. A healthy diet is what's required for good health. There are many healthy foods, both meat and non-meat. People who eat a diet well-balanced in nutrients and low in saturated fats, funky chemicals, and processed sugars should be fine. Mind your own diets, people!
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Vit D - synthesized in the body from sunlight.

Vit A - synthesized in the body from carotenoids, found in fruits and vegetables.

The only known long term risk from eating vegetarian and vegan are deficiencies in B12 and iron, both easily supplemented. There are, however, many benefits.

You do know they studied the Swiss and Eskimos right? Not alot of sunlight depending on the time of year.

Even so, the statement "...more vitamin A and vitamin D than the American diet of his day! These vitamins are found only in animal fats..." is wildly incorrect. A single sweet potato has almost 100% the DV recommended amount of Vitamin A.

...Honestly, did you even read this before you posted it?

I saw the point where they had more vitimans then the typical american. Semantics battle........Begin!

I think you're confusing what they "could have" done with what they actually do and what they study found. Defensive much?

I think the point here is if the author is completely wrong on a major point he is making - that vits A and D only come from animal fat, which is incredibly untrue - then how credible is the "article" as a whole.

Furthermore, why do you give a **** if someone eats veg/vegan?
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The poster who said she's never seen a healthy looking vegetarian made me laugh. I rarely meet a healthy looking meat-eater (or really any kind of eater) nowadays. Most people are eating too much processed crap and dealing with the consequences - fat, sluggish and sick. The whole-foods vegetarians I know have the most beautiful skin! I myself am a whole-grain eating, vegetable-loving omnivore who rarely eats red meat, and really only eats animal proteins a few times a week - and that is what works for me. A healthy diet is what's required for good health. There are many healthy foods, both meat and non-meat. People who eat a diet well-balanced in nutrients and low in saturated fats, funky chemicals, and processed sugars should be fine. Mind your own diets, people!

:drinker:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. Just here to spectate.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    Why don't we all just walk around in grizzly or lion country and see what happens. Prey or be preyed upon.

Because, unlike the grizzly or lion, the human is capable of reasoning, compassion and empathy. Hunting is all the grizzly or lion knows, whereas the human is capable of stopping, and thinking, and changing.

People love to talk about how much higher humans are than other animals with our brains and speech and all that nonsense, but somehow when it comes down to food it's suddenly cool to compare ourselves to animal instincts.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Plant based protein is so much better for your body and easier for your body to digest. It's basic biology, and you can't argue that :)
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    All of the animals i eat are vegatarians, so i am very sympathetic to the cause..........