Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    So what would you call these statistics from livestock pollution? This is caused by mass producing livestock. The way that livestock is produced in America is no joke. It causes multiple health issues including MRSA an antibiotic resistant staph bacteria which I almost died from three years ago. So laugh all you want thinking you are real funny with your stupid comments on here. People need to wake up and realize what goes in to the meat that you "let the USDA" provide for you.

http://www.nrdc.org/water/pollution/ffarms.asp

Livestock pollution and public health

California officials identify agriculture, including cows, as the major source of nitrate pollution in more than 100,000 square miles of polluted groundwater.

In Oklahoma, nitrates from Seaboard Farms' hog operations contaminated drinking water wells, prompting the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to issue an emergency order in June 2001 requiring the company to provide safe drinking water to area residents.

In 1996 the Centers for Disease Control established a link between spontaneous abortions and high nitrate levels in Indiana drinking water wells located close to feedlots.

High levels of nitrates in drinking water also increase the risk of methemoglobinemia, or "blue-baby syndrome," which can kill infants.

Animal waste contains disease-causing pathogens, such as Salmonella, E. coli, Cryptosporidium, and fecal coliform, which can be 10 to 100 times more concentrated than in human waste. More than 40 diseases can be transferred to humans through manure.

In May 2000, 1,300 cases of gastroenteritis were reported and six people died as the result of E. coli contaminating drinking water in Walkerton, Ontario. Health authorities determined that the most likely source was cattle manure runoff.

Manure from dairy cows is thought to have contributed to the disastrous Cryptosporidium contamination of Milwaukee's drinking water in 1993, which killed more than 100 people, made 400,000 sick and resulted in $37 million in lost wages and productivity.

In this country, roughly 29 million pounds of antibiotics -- about 80 percent of the nation's antibiotics use in total -- are added to animal feed every year to speed livestock growth. This widespread use of antibiotics on animals contributes to the rise of resistant bacteria, making it harder to treat human illnesses.

Large hog farms emit hydrogen sulfide, a gas that most often causes flu-like symptoms in humans, but at high concentrations can lead to brain damage. In 1998, the National Institute of Health reported that 19 people died as a result of hydrogen sulfide emissions from manure pits.

So basically I am doing my part to save the planet by eating the cows!

This stupid thread is getting funnier by the minute. My favorite part is all the people getting their precious little feelings hurt by the meat eating population and demanding the thread be closed. I am eating some beef jerky and laughing my *kitten* off at all the drama queens on here crying their eyes out.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am Vegan--- I started for moral reason and am now feeling the benefits of the diet. The strongest girl at my Crossfit box is also Vegan and has been for 20 years. I honestly think that there are probably pros and cons to each diet and it really depends on HOW you go about your diet. I do my best to get as MANY vitamins and minerals in my diet. Chances are I may not get all of them, but the longer (I have only been doing it about 5 months myself) I eat this way the longer I believe that I will become more educated on the subject. I WAS going to post an article that was just posted on red meat being linked to premature mortality but I didnt read each of the forum posts but saw someone say that that someone else posted it. Not sure.

At the end of the day I find that there are articles on both sides. There really are. Just like cutting fat out of diets was the way to lose fat in the 80s and 90s and carbs in the new millenium. Now I read about paleo which has you cut out some essential foods (legumes for example).

Honestly I don't really care what the studies say I am going to go off by how I FEEL. Since I started eating Vegan (and not being an all consuming white bread house) my mood (I am bi-polar) has been stabilized WITHOUT the use of meds. I mean the most stable I have been in my ENTIRE life. I thought that was due to exercising by my therapist says that it's actually due to the FOODS I consume. For the first time in my life I make sure that I have as MANY vitamin rich vegetables and fruits and seeds, beans, etc. in my diet. Before trying to fit in veggies was the hardest thing I had ever done. Not because I didnt like them, but because I was addicted to processed foods.

It is the only diet that I have ever been on where I actually started losing body fat.

It is the only diet that I have ever felt full all day.

I have LOADS of energy and as long as you don't calorie restrict yourself and eat WHOLE unprocessed foods, most vegans/vegetarians meet their nutritional macros/micros. I of course DO restrict but still find ways to meet at least the majority of my macros and micros and take supplements (which you can find articles about how awesome and not awesome they are) for the stuff I miss.

So just like I don't really care if you eat meat or not as long as you are keeping your body healthy, I don't think it should matter if I do or not. I think people expect Veg. and Vegans to push their life styles on others (which most of us dont and honestly are not huge supporters of PETA etc and tree huggers) and you get dieters who want to be Veg because they think they will lose more weight--- so it is all relative. :D
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Vit D - synthesized in the body from sunlight.

Vit A - synthesized in the body from carotenoids, found in fruits and vegetables.

The only known long term risk from eating vegetarian and vegan are deficiencies in B12 and iron, both easily supplemented. There are, however, many benefits.

Well said.....I am vegetarian and proud of it! No animals were harmed for my greed!

Statements like that piss me off! Its got nothing to do with greed. Animals are slaughtered for food.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Vit D - synthesized in the body from sunlight.

Vit A - synthesized in the body from carotenoids, found in fruits and vegetables.

The only known long term risk from eating vegetarian and vegan are deficiencies in B12 and iron, both easily supplemented. There are, however, many benefits.

Well said.....I am vegetarian and proud of it! No animals were harmed for my greed!

It was my hunger that was satiated last night when I ate my 10 oz ribeye (medium rare ofcourse) not greed. It was Steak and BJ day after all.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    What, you mean like your parents?

Exactly like my parents. And other people's parents. Or maybe in the amounts of children that families choose to have. We can't change the past, but our actions determine the future.

But that's a topic for another thread :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Most of America's health problems are becasue we are country of fat, lazy slobs that don't exercise. Not necessarily what we eat. Europeans eat as bad or worse than we do, but they don't have nearly the health problems. Asians still smoke and drink their *kitten* off and again, not overweight nor do they have the instances of health problems. Hell they eat RAW MEAT

might wanna check that. many of the healthier asian populations are (mostly if not completely) vegetarian.

europeans have quite a few health problems from diet incl. heart disease. it's more of a western world plague rather than just America. The difference is they just aren't as fat, because they walk in towns and cities instead of driving everywhere, don't work 10 hour days sitting on their butt, and buy fresh food and cook at home more often.

AMEN Furrina, it's so nice to see people like you out these. For the record, Einstein was vegetarian. It's just the greatest lifestyle when done right.

I don't quite think that Einstein qualifies as a vegetarian as he was only practicing such for the last year of his life. Not a good example.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add vegeterians/vegans eat plants which provide oxygen, they are killing ALL OF USSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Nowhere near the amount of oxygen that is ruined when mc d's and burger king clear cut rain forest for cattle... nope, I think that destroys a whole lot more oxygen producing plants, not to mention the possible cure to cancer that grows in such environments and we may have lost forever....

plants do not have brains. They do not have hearts (not even artichokes)

You do realize Medicine Man was a movie right?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    *sings*
    You eat, I eat, we all eat together. One big table, we all sit together. Food is fuel, food is fun- food gives us power to get thiiiings dooooone. You eat, I eat, we all eat together...

*walks off humming*
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    blah...blah....blah....blah.................................
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    The worst thing I ever did concerning my health was become a vegetarian. The soy consumption ruined my thyroid and I am now in the process of healing it through a very slow and on going process. I was very vitamin Deficient in B12 and had to take weekly shots which are no fun at all.

Most vegans and vegetarians using these "meat" products are Monsanto's dream come true. You are supporting a company buying your tofu, morning star, Boca products that are using genetically modified grains and such.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Dear Lord, this thread is a train wreck...can't.look.away.
  • I don't agree with this at all. Did you know that depending in your blood type certain foods can be good and bad for you? Such as myself. A, meat is horrible for you! I stopped eating meat when I was 15-16. Since then I've had more energy, I look and feel better. As long as you get the nutrients you need on a daily basis (which isn't hard) you'll be okay. Now, I know not everybody with this blood type didn't give up meat, but that's not the point. They like it. I personally don't like it,or the way it makes me feel.
  • Good lord the nerve of some people.
  • CosmicBella
    Options
    The worst thing I ever did concerning my health was become a vegetarian. The soy consumption ruined my thyroid and I am now in the process of healing it through a very slow and on going process. I was very vitamin Deficient in B12 and had to take weekly shots which are no fun at all.

Most vegans and vegetarians using these "meat" products are Monsanto's dream come true. You are supporting a company buying your tofu, morning star, Boca products that are using genetically modified grains and such.

Not all tofu and soy products are Monsanto owned GMO. I eat very little soy products, but when I do, I make sure to buy only organic, non-GMO certified.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is STILL. GOING.
  • CosmicBella
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is STILL. GOING.

...it's like the energizer bunny...it keeps going and going and going and... ;D
  • HeyHeyRae
    HeyHeyRae Posts: 48
    Options
    You obviously didn't read your own link.... It very specifically says, "Dr. Weston A. Price was a dentist in the 1920′s who spent 10 years of his retirement travelling the globe – looking for tribes or villages of people who were extremely healthy. He defined ‘healthy’ as having no degenerative disease and a cavity rate of less than 1%"..........

THE MAN WAS A DENTIST AND DIDN'T KNOW JACK ABOUT NUTRITION!!

And just to be clear, I looooove meat, but this entire post is a crock.

I didn't get fat eating lettuce, carrots, and tomatoes... I'm JUST Sayin'
  • The worst thing I ever did concerning my health was become a vegetarian. The soy consumption ruined my thyroid and I am now in the process of healing it through a very slow and on going process. I was very vitamin Deficient in B12 and had to take weekly shots which are no fun at all.

Not all tofu and soy products are Monsanto owned GMO. I eat very little soy products, but when I do, I make sure to buy only organic, non-GMO certified.

Agreed. Just because somebody is a vegetarian doesn't mean they eat only soy products. People have so many different conclusions about us vegetarians/vegans it's quiet annoying. Like, we only eat vegetables and fruits, we sit down and eat cupcakes and potato chips all day because it's not an 'animal'. It's all so silly, and it doesn't make sense. It just proves whoever it is saying these things just don't have knowledge about this, why? Because they are not simply a vegetarian, or they don't care to really learn how our lifestyle is. I am extremely healthy. Doctors have been amazed for YEARS. I take good care of myself. Oh, and it makes me mad how people are pointing out fat vegetarians. Why does this even matter? There are larger people in the world PERIOD. Overweight comes from eating too much, and not taking care of the body. Anybody is capable of doing this. A diet has nothing to do with this.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've wasted an hour on this thread and I still see it's as pointless a fight over whether chocolate or vanilla is better......
    vanilla of course