has anyone here lost weight without having a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28lbs. since Jan. 4th without going to a gym. I watched my calorie intake and about 4 weeks ago added treadmill work from home.

I did have a gym membership that was sucking $20/month out of my account but I recently cancelled it.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would go to the gym if I could but I live out in the country and its too late by the time I get home as it is. I just mostly walk and do some walking and heavy maintenence around the house. I try to walk at lunch as well.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight at home, pushing play or hitting the pavement!
    It can be done :))
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have lost 37 lb w/ no gym membership. I do Jillian Michael DVDs and Zumba classes. I am going to start running soon.
    Good Luck!
  • CLSostarich
    Options
    Wow, I guess you know by now that you definitely DON'T need a gym membership to lose weight! I've lost 13 pounds in two months and I never left my house. I call it the prison workout, lol. I walk or run back and forth across my house and do yoga workouts with The Biggest Loser on my XBOX and that is all. Good luck!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have lost 114 lbs. in the last 18 months without a gym membership. I totally changed my eating habits (I used to only eat fried food, pre-packaged processed food and junk all the time), but now I eat a lot healthier and actually crave good foods. As for exercise, I use our Wii, sometimes some work out videos I get from the library and I walk and now run around our subdivision. I have only started running since December, but prior to that most of my weight was lost due to a healthier diet and mostly long walks outside. I have no gym equipment at home either.

However, it's going to be a personal choice of which will make you do more. I'd like to join a gym, but the few that are in our small town don't offer childcare and I have to have that since I stay home with my 2 year old. The ones that do offer childcare are at least a 15-20 minute drive away and I know I would make up excuses of reasons to not go (just wanting to stay home, weather, my son being crabby/sick, etc). So just do whatever works best for you. Everyone is different and find your motivation :)
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I thought I would use a membership too, so I got a trial. I did not like it at all. Because of all the bodies, there was always

a faint odor in the air,

people didn't clean the equipment after they were done using it... I prefer the clean outside air. Also, doing exercising outside brings your core muscles into use more often as you have to balance on the bike, and you can use the curbs as a mini stepper.

I love the comment "a faint odor in the air!!! laughed my *kitten* off on that one..so true!!
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    <---- THIS GIRL!

I've lost 17 lbs since the beginning of January without setting foot in a gym. Granted, we do have a treadmill and a total gym machine in our basement, but I could easily have been doing my running outside. For me, I don't think I would like working out in a gym - I'm kind of a homebody :)

I have kept my portions in check, but still eat pretty much whatever I want.

Good luck!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Me, I've lost 54lbs.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    -15 without setting foot in a gym!
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership (though I would if I had the spare money for it!) and I've lost 19lbs, not as impressive as a lot of people, but a loss in a loss right? :D
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    Me! I lost 75lbs I gained during pregnancy through a healthy diet and exercise at home. Taebo, Slim in 6, P90x, jogging, bicycling, etc. My current faves are Zumba and Les Mills Pump! :)
  • Raidernette
    Options
    i prefer to work out at home, it is more comfortable to me and less time consuming. I also dont like to sweat buckets or not be able to breathe in front of people!:laugh:
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Save the money and buy your own equipment. I hated the gym, the machines were usually broken and the ones that werent were occupied or someone would be standing behind me waiting during a long run. It's just more comfirtable at home and I can turn whatever I want on.
  • FrieszMelissa
    Options
    I lost 41 pounds with no gym membership. I changed my eating completely and I ran, used Wii Just Dance games and Hip Hop Abs to lose all my weight.
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i know this is not ALOT but i lots 8 pounds(just since the beginning of march) in 3 weeks just by watching what i eat and doing workout vids at home..but yes i am thinking about going to the YMCA because they have pools and workout stuff..but i am going to keep up the hard work i have been doing and lose more pounds
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend lost over 15 pounds. He doesn't diet. He never had a gym membership. He works out once or twice a week doing circuit training and BJJ practice at the park with his friends.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels DVDs and a treadmill for me. Not a fan of the gym.
  • lder0902
    lder0902 Posts: 1
    Options
    Only join a gym if you have the motivation to go regularly, its expensive otherwise. I go to the local gym every day and the weight is falling off quite easily, beware though the gym does become addictive!!! Never thought I would hear myself say that lol. Moderate exercise is good wherever you do it!
  • itsbigs
    itsbigs Posts: 4
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs with just an elliptical, dumbbells and some good running shoes! It can be done.