Should men get paternity leave from work?

Options
QueenJayJay
QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
Discuss.

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I think men should get a week. Not the 6 weeks women get so their bodies can recover
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Definitely.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I think a few days should be sufficient.. I mean they didn't blast the thing out of their crotch but they were involved in the baby making.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    I think men should get a week. Not the 6 weeks women get so their bodies can recover

What if he's doing all the work? (taking care of the newborn)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    They already have that option here in Canaduh. Mat leave is 52 weeks paid (capped percentage of your prior income and your job must be held for you while you're gone. Men can take paternity leave but however many weeks they take is deducted from the mother's 52 weeks.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. They need to bond with their baby too. And help while mom recovers, lol!
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Meh. Are you suggesting that the man would ACTUALLY help out during that time?!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    They do. It's called FMLA, look it up.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Why not? They do in Canada and Germany with pay from the government if the company is not willing to pay for it. And we think Americans have it all........pffffttt!!!
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    They already have that option here in Canaduh. Mat leave is 52 weeks paid (capped percentage of your prior income and your job must be held for you while you're gone. Men can take paternity leave but however many weeks they take is deducted from the mother's 52 weeks.

WHATTTTT??????? We get 6! 9 max, but the last 3 are without pay!
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    I think so, especially if the woman had a c-section. The work should offer 6 weeks like the wife to take..but maybe only 2 of them should be paid or something.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

Mine did. :love: :heart: I had a rough c-section recovery.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

Doesn't matter. Women need that time off so their bodies can heal.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I think they should, give them some time to bond with the baby.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options

I'm moving to Canada to have my children.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    They do. It's called FMLA, look it up.

I'm aware of that. It's not specifically "paternity" leave, though. Women have "maternity" leave. Should men have "paternity" leave?
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Then I love him and he should take the rest of the year off while mommy goes back to work.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Federally mandated leave given for the birth of a child isn't paternity leave?
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

WHATTTTT??????? We get 6! 9 max, but the last 3 are without pay!

We are eligible for 12 (federal stipulations) We only HAVE to be paid for what we have in accumulated pay availiable. Men get the same option. When my daughter was born. My ex stayed home the first 3 weeks, just to help me adjust and have the time off. I wish he had just gone to work.