What CARDIO has helped you lose fat? Anyone?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Oh, okay, did not notice your actual stats. You look good already and have a low BF%. If you're afraid of gaining huge muscles (psychologically), try doing light weights and high reps (not more than 15) - it would be a slower process to getting a toned look than lifting heavy but you will get there eventually. From what I've read, this works on a long term basis.
    She won't get big muscles especially if not surplusing calories. The best way NOT to get "muscly" looking is to make sure your fat levels don't dip too low.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Any cardio I've ever tried has helped me lose fat. Running, Zumba, hiking, walking, step aerobics, eliptical ...
  • claybornfletcher
    claybornfletcher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My vote goes to HIIT training. Know it sounds kind of vague, but "research" shows that by doing intervals, you retain more muscle and boost your metabolism even higher.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    What CARDIO has helped you lose muscle? Anyone?

Fixed-
    Long endurance (exceeding 60 minutes in a single session without restoring positive nitrogen balance) cardio. Whether it's biking, running, jumping rope, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

What is positive nitrogen balance?
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/positive+nitrogen+balance

nitrogen balance,
    the relationship between the amount of nitrogen taken into the body, usually as food, and that excreted from the body in urine and feces. Most of the body's nitrogen is incorporated into protein. Positive nitrogen balance, which occurs when the intake of nitrogen is greater than its excretion, implies tissue formation and growth. Negative nitrogen balance, which occurs when more nitrogen is excreted than is taken in, indicates wasting or destruction of tissue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    In 6 weeks I lost 7% BF doing kickboxing twice a week along with Insanity, Spinning, or Step Aerobics at least another 2 times a week. Plus lots of healthy eating. My rule is I have to love it or I won't do it! The classes I do I LOVE!!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Running, spinning, kick boxing, zumba.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I lost a bit more than 20 pounds with running, interval training - 3 days per week between 45 and 60 minutes each time AND with healthier eating habit. I started running last October, and ran all winter outside (snow, cold, very cold weather). Just added strength training to my routine.
  • monharri
    monharri Posts: 78
    Options
    running and spinning. next month i'm trying swimming!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Cycling!

I biked off about 50 lbs last year. And, enjoyed every minute of it! Cardio, fresh air, sunshine and the sights as I biked.

Note: I also have 4 Martial Arts classes per week. But, the extra was the biking. And, it is the biking that I attribute my weight loss too.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • karliekins
    karliekins Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do each of the following twice a week: stationary bike, running, pilates, circuit training, and ab workouts. That in combination with eating healthy and a calorie deficit has been extremely successful for me.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Well I dunno about you all, but every cardio exercise I've done helped me, as long as I put my all into it. Of course, I also weight train, heavy, which helps a great deal as well.

Running helped to slim down my legs and hips, zumba has been great for glutes, kickboxing for legs, glutes and arms, elliptical for endurance and rowing for arms.

The weight training is to make sure I maintain ALL the muscle I have underneath the layer of fat. :blushing:
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    my favorite class as the gym?--

pedal & pump.

35 minute spin class (and this instructor does a ton of hills and high resistance! its the death of me sometimes) followed by 20 minutes of hand weights work and ab work.
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SPINNING! Lost 30lbs doing it.

yup- i'm addicted to spinning!
    and you will NOT get bulky lifting heavy, so do it.

^^ spinning for me - love it :heart:
  • Destiny424
    Destiny424 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    EXCUSE ME TO THOSE THAT ARE RUDE.. BUT IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT EVERY POST OF MINE.. I HAVE SAID THAT MY PROFILE PICTURE IS ME 4 MONTHS AGO. WHICH I AM TRYING TO GET BACK.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's rude to tell you you're thin and beautiful and stressing out unnecessarily?

Can someone be that rude to me sometime? Please?
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    hate to tell you, but my weight loss didn't take off until i started running. i don't like running at all but i do it because it absolutely works. listen to music to distract yourself from the pain and monotony...
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    The best way to lose fat is to raise you RMR. Only certain cardio does that and it's going to be HIIT related. Steady state cardio DOE NOT raise RMR. You burn more fat from your RMR on a daily basis than ANY cardio you do for an hour.
    Get intense, hit the intensity hard and you'll raise that RMR.

IDEA Fitness member

Would you mind explaining this? you're totally correct in my experience because HIIT works waaaay better and faster for me than steady state cardio. I just don't understand why.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    My vote goes to HIIT training. Know it sounds kind of vague, but "research" shows that by doing intervals, you retain more muscle and boost your metabolism even higher.

YES! :D 2 votes
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    EXCUSE ME TO THOSE THAT ARE RUDE.. BUT IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT EVERY POST OF MINE.. I HAVE SAID THAT MY PROFILE PICTURE IS ME 4 MONTHS AGO. WHICH I AM TRYING TO GET BACK.

You are BEAUTIFUL! Do you not realize this is why I can't understand why you are so bent out of shape about the size you are now?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    It's rude to tell you you're thin and beautiful and stressing out unnecessarily?

Can someone be that rude to me sometime? Please?
    ooh me too!