What CARDIO has helped you lose fat? Anyone?

Options
123457»

Replies

• led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    let's chill on the personal comments to the OP. some people prefer the skinny model look versus the muscular toned look. different strokes for different folks. let's all be supportive of each others' goals :)
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Insanity workouts and walking mixed with some power yoga for me
  • MRSJACKON22
    Options
    Spinning, running, and insanity!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose fat is to raise you RMR. Only certain cardio does that and it's going to be HIIT related. Steady state cardio DOE NOT raise RMR. You burn more fat from your RMR on a daily basis than ANY cardio you do for an hour.
    Get intense, hit the intensity hard and you'll raise that RMR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Would you mind explaining this? you're totally correct in my experience because HIIT works waaaay better and faster for me than steady state cardio. I just don't understand why.
    Your RMR, resting metabolic rate, along with BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the daily rate of calories you burn at rest. The majority of calories are usually in the form of fat.
    Steady state cardio (cardio where your heart rate beats at a continual steady pace) burns calories ONLY when you are doing the exercise. While this is great to help expend some extra calories, it doesn't help to raise RMR.
    HIIT forces your heart rate to soar for short periods of time, and is much more intense on the body so the energy needed to repair is higher. By raising your RMR even just 150-200 calories a day, that's 1000-1400 extra calories a week and it adds up in the long run. Not to mention that since it's RMR, more fat calories are burned which is what we're all trying to lose anyway.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I've been running long distance for the last 4 years, and have had more trouble with gaining weight than ever before. So at best it makes no difference, worst case it actually causes me to eat more and gain weight.
  • mcjimy
    mcjimy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser Cardio Max works for me. 5 times a week.
  • luvmycoffee
    luvmycoffee Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    At 5'6, 116 lbs and 18%BF... you need to see an optomotrist if you think you need to lose fat.

HAHAHAHA...I agree! To the OP...do not take offense, many of us like to use humor & sarcasm! That does not in anyway mean that we are not all here to support one another. Lots of good tips in this thread. :wink:
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight with cardio alone - I only recently have started strength training to maintain my new weight. I did two dance classes a week (zumba and nia) and went to the gym two other days of the week to use the elliptical, treadmill and stationary bike for 30-60 mins.
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    zumba
  • GraceOrr
    GraceOrr Posts: 44
    Options
    One word.....Stairmaster!
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    OH also!! good fun cardio to change it up!!!

go i a store and rip off one of those plastic biiper/alarm trigger tags... put it in your pocket and walk out n let the alarm go off.. wait for the security guard to walk up to you and then run away! He will chase you until you are off the property! so see how fast you can make it!! n even if he catches you.. you didnt steal anything so you wont get in trouble!

bit shopping centers are fun because its like an obstacle course

@Eurodriver this is hilarious
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    Kickboxing, Zumba, Yoga, Pilates...
  • Sunnyf74
    Sunnyf74 Posts: 1
    Options
    Cardio kickboxing with weights, whew its a workout!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Running. It won't make you bulk--as a woman you'd really have to be into heavy lifting to bulk up. Running finally made me lose a ton of inches around the hips and, even trickier, on the inner thighs.

As a woman you have to do more than just lift heavy to bulk up. You have to take steroids, testoster, HGH. It's hard enough for men to bulk up, for women it's almost impossible without the aid of drugs.

I do a short HIIT once every 1-10 days. It will last about 10 mintues or less. Either on the stairs or on the treadmill.
    I'm reading Starting Strength to learn the basic barbell exercises (squats, deadlifts, presses, bench presses, etc.). Gotta make sure my form is correct if I'm going to be lifting heavy things above my head. I've already started on squats and presses.
    The rest is just trying not to sit on my *kitten* every day.
  • prestonsnana
    prestonsnana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 lbs so far and lost inches too, went from size 16's and now I fit back into my size 10 jeans, they button and zip and are skin tight, I do the eliptical, bike, treadmill and 2nites a week turbo fire, hit 30 and I am a ball of sweat after just 10min, love it, and also I walk at a very fast pace for 4miles a few days a week also. I try to work out 5 days a week or more , and stay within my calories too !!! Best of luck and add me if you want always lookin for new friends and new ideas and support!!
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    For me, Running, Eliptical and cardio X (p90x)
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The Insanity program helped me to lose fat.

God Bless Shaun T.