Dr. Pepper 10

Options

Replies

• Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman who isn't offended by this? I just thought it was a joke...or am I not reading far enough into it?

I am not offended by this at all. People that say that they aren't going to drink it because of the commercial are being ignorant. Come on, you can't tell me that they weren't going for an ironic twist on what you would expect. Lighten up! :drinker:
    I personally don't understand why anyone would be offended by it. It's a marketing ploy and working quite well I might add! :wink:

What I read into it was 'Women can't drink this, it's for MEN'. So who's talking about it and trying it? WOMEN! See how that ploy worked? Women are trying it because they were told it was only for men. It's a joke ppl, not meant to be an insult, least I don't see it as one.

I think ppl are reading TOO much into it but either way they got what they wanted, Women to try it, or at least some that wanted to prove the point they could drink it too. Someone tells us not to do something sometimes it makes us want to do it more!

Just a light heartened play by another company to sell more product.:laugh: :smokin:
    [/quote]
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    2 things.

First sexism in commercials is nothing new. How often do you see the male act as the foil in a commercial?

Secondly...congrats you have fallen perfectly for their ruse. They speak to our testosterone (see Axe for similar methods) as a impulse to buy it. How do women fall for this? Because even if it tastes like an unwashed armpit, there are women who will say, "No one will tell me what to drink!" Congrats.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    seems to me the entire thing is sarcastic ... or, maybe more accurately, is trying for ironic machismo, like old spice. it didn't work well and the product tastes awful, I hear.

You capitalized "I."

yup. I capitalize the important words. examples would be I, Montana, Texas, BBQ, etc.

Alright wow. I understand that you are a journalist and feel the need to use proper grammar. I was a literature major and you don't see me correcting everyone’s forum posts. Let it go!

Apparently you missed the previous pages where it was obvious we were both teasing each other. :flowerforyou:
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    2 things.

First sexism in commercials is nothing new. How often do you see the male act as the foil in a commercial?

Secondly...congrats you have fallen perfectly for their ruse. They speak to our testosterone (see Axe for similar methods) as a impulse to buy it. How do women fall for this? Because even if it tastes like an unwashed armpit, there are women who will say, "No one will tell me what to drink!" Congrats.

Oh you!
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    its-15306-1294319852-64.jpg

Dr. Pepper knock off. I LOL'd

WOW! I didn't know Piggly Wigglys were still around! I remember them from when I was a kid, but I haven't seen one in close to 20 years.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding”
    ― Betty White

Just saying.

haha, I have this on my fascebook wall:) We tried the Dr Pepper 10. My man & I both decided we'll pass
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman who isn't offended by this? I just thought it was a joke...or am I not reading far enough into it?

I am not offended by this at all. People that say that they aren't going to drink it because of the commercial are being ignorant. Come on, you can't tell me that they weren't going for an ironic twist on what you would expect. Lighten up! :drinker:

Who said I was offended? I just don't see a reason to try yet another diet soda if they "don't want me to." Like I said, I like the standard diet dr pepper, so why try the new one?
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    We analyzed this in my marketing class.
    We decided that in general marketing to men through diet sodas is very hard. It's mostly appealed to women so the marketing has been geared towards them. In order to appeal to men they had to make these sorts of commercials. The women in my marketing class all agree simply because it said "not for women" we wanted it more. Because "who are they to tell us we can't buy their drink, damn it."

I think it's great marketing. lol
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The purpose of it was to market Dr. Pepper to men (sorry; grammar teacher-- can't do it.), so where is the sarcasm in that?
    "Dr Pepper" is a name, so to be correct, you have to write it without the period. It's not like if you were addressing a doctor named Pepper.
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding”
    ― Betty White

Just saying.

I needed that laugh this morning LMAO!!!! Never tried the DP 10 but was a big fan of the regular before I cut it out completely!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

umm I really want a case of that!
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

Agreed...simply because of the name.

"What up, homie. I'm drinkin' Mr. Pig." --how I roll
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of commercials that go the other way.

Secret..... "Strong enough for a man... but made for a women."

How about all those yogurt commercials where the woman is talking on the phone about Boston Cream Pie and Apple Turnovers and the husband in the background looking through the fridge.

The majority of commercials out there are targeted toward the female audience since, yes, women do the majority of the shopping. It drives me nuts that most commercials try to make men look like they can't raise kids, can't do laundry, can't cook, can't do anything!!!

We get two commercials... the Dr. Pepper 10 and those lovely lovely Hardee's commercials!!! I've never seen a cheeseburger eaten with such grace. :happy:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    ― Betty White

Just saying.

That's what I'm saying.... Thanks for the laugh!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

does anyone live near a piggly wiggly????
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    We get two commercials... the Dr. Pepper 10 and those lovely lovely Hardee's commercials!!! I've never seen a cheeseburger eaten with such grace. :happy:

:smokin:
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I bought a bottle, and took a picture of myself drinking it. I should post a picture. Dear Dr. Pepper 10, I'm a woman and I drank it. What are you going to do about it?
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I love this commercial, because it's doing EXACTLY what it's supposed to do...Getting people talking about it...

You can't be offended, it's just a marketing strategy...I LOVE marketing, it's just like Psychology!!!
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I personally love Dr. Pepper Ten. It is my go to drink other then water.

The product is being marketed to men. There are tons of products that are marketed for women and are expressly said to be "for a woman"- it goes both ways. Certain products are marketed to certain demographics.

I don't believe anywhere in the commercial does it say women can't drink it.

It's just a commercial and marketing scheme.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    hey-everybody-pay-attention-to-me.jpg

LAST TIME I'm saying this! :wink:

My OP did NOT say I was "offended." I just said it wasn't a very smart marketing strategy, because saying it's not for women does not make me want to buy it, and my husband does not grocery shop.

Facepalm, MFP, facepalm.

Resume. :bigsmile: