You are NEVER too old! 365 days with pics

Options
unhinge
unhinge Posts: 318 Member
Last March I turned 55 and decided I had had enough of feeling so d#*%ed old! I was at the precipice and did not want to go over. My blood test reviled pre-diabetic condition and high cholesterol. Something had to be done!
March 2011
Weight - 230 lb plus
Waist - 41
Hips - 48
Thigh - 28
Height - 5' 3 1/2"

Me_march2011sm.jpg

So this is what I did:
I stopped dieting! I have been on them all dating back quite a few years.
Bought the book "Younger Next Year for Woman" and started walking.

Logged 1200 calories per day, eating back most or all of my exercise calories and I logged EVERYTHING!  I do not starve myself and I eat when I get hungry.

I eat loads of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains and unprocessed food and don't dine out much. I enjoy finding ways to cook healthy, nutritious, delicious meals.

Keep my sodium at 1500 mg or below as much as is humanly possible... thus not dining out much :)

I drink a lot of water!

Workout 6 times a week alternating cardio and strength training workouts (I lift heavy) and I use an HRM. I had a major sprain/fracture on my ankle in June but I did not let that stop me. I found other ways to workout and in fact, looking back, I think it was a blessing. I discovered that my body seems to adapt to my exercise routine and I need to change things up once in awhile to kickstart fat loss.

I have not traveled this journey alone. I have many fantastic friends on MFP (you know who you are) who have helped me stay motivated and stuck by me in times of discouragement and I LOVE them for that! Having friends who keep you on track is priceless!!!!

I just turned a year younger and today is my 365th day on MFP!!!!

I am a work in progress….. I'm an artist so I think of this as my body sculpture :)

MeMarch2012sm.jpg

March 2012

Weight - 184.4 lb. MINUS 46!

Waist - 34 MINUS 7 INCHES!

Hips - 41 MINUS 7 INCHES!

Thigh - 24 MINUS 4 INCHES PER LEG!

Height - 5' 3 1/2" STILL THE SAME THANK GOODNESS :)

3x_lg2sm.jpg

I went from a size 18 to a size 12 ( I have not been in this size 12 since I was 12 years old) and 3X to Large!!!!

I think I should try to smile more when I have my picture taken :))

Replies

• spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    WOW! Congratulations on your success. Your pics on the right are cut off but your second pic down in the workout clothes sure does show the difference. You looks great. I can't wait to get out of the 3x that I am in now (was in a 4x when I started).
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Looking GOOD girlfriend! Thanks for the encouraging post for us old timer's and youngins too:flowerforyou:

I'm so proud of you!!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Wow! Is that a waist I see? :flowerforyou: You look wonderful! Younger, healthier, happier. Congratulations!
  • nitarongish
    nitarongish Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update sweetie! You are quite the inspiration to us. Wow! So happy for you! Have a super 1 year anniversary. You look so vibrant, young and healthy.
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Guves me hope.....well done......what an inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Good for you. You look wonderful!!
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing. I know that you are just beaming today and you should be. Congratulations on your loss. And thanks for posting. I just love seeing success stories. It is like watching a romantic movie with a good ending.
  • katglaze
    katglaze Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! I work in Long term care, it is so easy to take care of a small fit person aging vs an unhealthy large aging person. I see every day people who wish they had made different choices when they were younger like us( I am 53!)

Keep it up you will not regret it. I at one time weighed 207. It is not easy or overnight, because we did not get that weight on overnight!
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    FANTASTIC! You look GREAT! Thanks for posting, it's very motivational for me!! :smile:
  • ericalynn82279
    ericalynn82279 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your progress!! You look fantastic!
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You are a real inspiration. I am just beginning this journey-started in January-and my goal is 64 (lbs) by 64 (yrs). I have another year and a half until my 64th birthday and I am hopeful that I will reach my goal. Your post is a real motivator for me, the older we get the harder it seems to shed the weight. I am not "dieting" this time, either, just eating healthier, mostly at home and exercising portion control. I hope I will be able to post an inspirational story here some day, too.

Thanks. And keep up the good work.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    great job
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    no more PLUS SIZE!
  • miltonp50
    miltonp50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration to me. Keep up the good work. You, however, are 7 years younger than me. But, as you say, we are never too old. I'm sure you feel fabulous - you certainly look it.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    You look great, great job!
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    WOW look at you!!! Congratulations and thank you for the encouragement!!!!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    WOW! Well done. You have done an amazing job. You haven't just lost weight, you've also lost years! Great job. x
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    So Inspirational! Happy MFP Birthday and thanks for being you! :flowerforyou:
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous story you are telling here!! Even your cute dog looks happy with you! You've been a very inspiring MFP friend and I look forward to getting better and better with you :) Great results for all your hard work and lifestyle changes !!!!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!