Eggs

Options
1235»

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I personally don't find the calories too bad.... I love scrambled eggs...
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I will take aout 4 egg whites and one yoke,throw in a slash of cheese and make an omlette. I love eggs and this is delicious and not very high in calories. Lots of times I skip the yoke and just make it 5 whites...still yummy
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I use the walmart brand of 'egg beaters' or I also buy just the plain whites in a carton too. (walmart brand also). Love an egg white omelet with all kinds of veggies.
  • betholiver
    Options
    I just ate several. lol. Use almost every day. Use only the egg white. I buy the Kirkland Signature - Organic Large Brown Egg White,'' '' 6 Large Eggs '' (33g) are only 96 calories, 0 zero carbohydrate / low fat and sodium have bought the other eggs.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! I need to yolks otherwise they make me gag.
  • twiztid_princess
    Options
    I love eggs and yes egg whites are less calories and cholesterol but the yolk is where the most nutrients are... well i will just copy the info one of the blogs i follow posted

I made a post earlier about whole eggs and how great they are for you! Another tumblr reblogged with “But egg yolk is very high in cholesterol. Ditch the yolk and just eat the whites.” (magnettoanothermagnet?)… this is FALSE! Do your research before reblogging with misinformation!

“By throwing out the yolk and only eating egg whites, you’re essentially throwing out the most nutrient dense, antioxidant-rich, vitamin and mineral loaded portion of the egg. The yolks contain so many B-vitamins, trace minerals, vitamin A, folate, choline, lutein, and other powerful nutrients… it’s not even worth trying to list them all.
    In fact, the egg whites are almost devoid of nutrition compared to the yolks.
    Even the protein in egg whites isn’t as powerful without the yolks to balance out the amino acid profile and make the protein more bio-available. Not to even mention that the egg yolks from free range chickens are loaded with healthy omega-3 fatty acids.

Yolks contain more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, and B12, and panthothenic acid of the egg. In addition, the yolks contain ALL of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K in the egg, as well as ALL of the essential fatty acids (EFAs).

And now the common objection I get all the time when I say that the yolks are the most nutritious part of the egg…

“But I heard that whole eggs will skyrocket my cholesterol through the roof”

No, this is FALSE!

First of all, when you eat a food that contains a high amount of dietary cholesterol such as eggs, your body down-regulates it’s internal production of cholesterol to balance things out. On the other hand, if you don’t eat enough cholesterol, your body simply produces more since cholesterol has dozens of important vital functions in the body.

And here’s where it gets even more interesting…

There have been plenty of studies lately that indicate that eating whole eggs actually raises your good HDL cholesterol to a higher degree than LDL cholesterol, thereby improving your overall cholesterol ratio and blood chemistry.

And 3rd… high cholesterol is NOT a disease! Heart disease is a disease…but high cholesterol is NOT. Cholesterol is actually a VERY important substance in your body and has vitally important functions… it is DEAD WRONG to try to “lower your cholesterol” just because of pharmaceutical companies propaganda that everyone on the planet should be on statin drugs.
    In addition, the yolks contain the antioxidant lutein as well as other antioxidants which can help protect you from inflammation within your body (the REAL culprit in heart disease, not dietary cholesterol!), giving yet another reason why the yolks are actually GOOD for you, and not detrimental.

To help bring even more proof that whole eggs are better for you than egg whites, I recently read a University of Connecticut study that showed that a group of men in the study that ate 3 eggs per day for 12 weeks while on a reduced carb, higher fat diet increased their HDL good cholesterol by 20%, while their LDL bad cholesterol stayed the same during the study. However, the group that ate egg substitutes (egg whites) saw no change in either and did not see the improvement in good cholesterol (remember that higher HDL levels are associated with lower risk of heart disease) that the whole egg eaters did.

So I hope we’ve established that whole eggs are not some evil food that will wreck your body… instead whole eggs are FAR superior to egg whites.” - Mike Geary

(http://marielovespandas.tumblr.com/post/19400873409/i-made-a-post-earlier-about-whole-eggs-and-how)
  • shannoni_23
    Options
    i use one whole egg and 2 egg whites. today i had this with a tablespoon of real bacon bits for flavor, wrapped in an xtreme wellness tortilla (about 71 calories per tortilla).. total of 200 calories for my breakfast :wink:

I eat those tortillas too! And I also eat one whole egg plus 2 egg white. I had trouble logging my eggs at 1st, because each time I clicked on one of the choices, it was WAY off. So I guess it depends on what is going into your omelet.

Something I eat for breakfast (usually just on weekends) is Cranberry French Toast w/ one "fried" egg:

one whole egg cracked on griddle (no oil or anything)
    two slices of Natures Own Double Fiber Wheat bread
    (dipped in)
    two egg whites w/ cinnamon
    1/4 cup of dried cranberries
    (poked into bread while it's on griddle)

The meal has 334 calories. You don't need any syrup or anything, because the cranberries make the french toast taste so good!:love:
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    what are your thoughts on scrambled eggs. I put them in here today in my tracker and they are so many calories but love them so much!!!

I eat 2 eggs, yolks included, with a little cheese twice a week. I actually find that I lose more weight when I incorporate eggs into my diet. I usually just balance out the calories with a lighter lunch.

Yolk is higher in vitamins and promotes eye health!