just bought some cottage cheese... now what do i do with it?

Options

Replies

• rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese mixed with fruit --- especially pineapple. I also eat it with chopped vegetables!!

^^^^^^
    THIS

JUST EAT IT...ITS GOOD BY ITSELF
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    all it needs is a spoon and a pair of lips. I'm sure there's more things to do with it, But i grew up on it plain right outta the container.
  • Lil_miss_pink
    Lil_miss_pink Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    +1 for mixing in a small amount of peanut butter, sooo tasty :)
  • Dianaka
    Dianaka Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later! Thanks for awesome ideas!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Great ideas guys! Still experimenting with it. Not quite ready to eat it plain just yet... It's just so lumpy :-/

Has anyone ever used it in soup? Making green pea soup today and I was wondering if I could use cottage cheese to make it more creamy. Not worried about it messing up the flavor, but do you think it'll do funny things to the texture?
  • SharryC
    SharryC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I mix it with all fruit sprad and granola.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    finished off some last night. add some mrs. dash and a good few splashes of hot sauce.
  • wrecked_willow
    Options
    I mix half a cup of 1% cottage cheese with 1 tablespoon of sugar-free blueberry jam and I find it DELICIOUS!
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    I just put mine in the trash:). I tried it once and if it isn't cooked in lasagna or pink stuff, I won't eat it.
  • jenniferpena2008
    Options
    I used the fat free HEB brand (because we are following the P90X nutrition guide). So far I've only eaten it with strawberries. I have to say, I don't like cottage cheese at all and had to force it down. I'm definitely going to try it in a protein shake though. We drink them all the time.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I just put it in my face as-is. Love it. Except the fat-free ones. And Daisy brand. They taste like sadness and spoiled milk. But mostly spoiled milk.

You could worse than a few dashes of black pepper too.
  • WHITLOEB
    WHITLOEB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I mix with a box of sugar free jello (pineapple) and cocnut and chill in the frig.
  • JustACaJen
    JustACaJen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has said it already - but I was (and am) so put off by the texture - but want the healthy aspects of it - I would buy the small single serving containers and mix one container of that with one container of greek yogurt (one of the ones with fruit). Mix it all together and sprinkle some granola or grape nuts on top. The crunch distracted from the cottage cheese texture. For a long time, that was my breakfast every morning. Very filling.
  • 71Grace9
    71Grace9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can eat cottage cheese either as a sweet or a savory dish. As a savory, add spices...salt, pepper, seasoned salt, whatever you use in your scrambled eggs will go well with cottage cheese. Serve it (spiced) with veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, celery etc. Mash it up, add spice and use it as a sandwitch spread (trust me) along with your other sandwich goodies. As a sweet, add a couple drops of flavored stevia ie: french vanilla and mix it in well. When you like the taste of it, add fruit...any kind of fruit you enjoy. Agave is another super yummy way to sweaten cottage cheese. Remember your sweet spices such as cinnamon, pie spice etc. Our family enjoyes cottage cheese with fruit coctail. I like it with lots of juice, others like it drier. Since we found the stevia and Agave, we just like it pure and simple. How you eat it matters too. If you savor the texture and flavor and think about the different sensations in your mouth (flavors and textures), you will find you just may like it. Trial and error until you find the right blend you enjoy. Bon Appetit.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love putting it on top of sliced tomatoes. Or sometimes I'll heat up some canned tomatoes and out it on top. Yum.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese mixed with fruit --- especially pineapple. I also eat it with chopped vegetables!!

my favorite.

*While I was posting this others posted similar recipes. Sorry to repeat*

This is also delicious and a nice protein breakfast, the recipe came from Bill Phillips' "Eating For Life" book: Try to be open minded till you try it, it is good.

Golden Pancakes

1 c. uncooked oats (not instant)
    6 egg whites
    1 c fat free cottage cheese
    1/4tsp cinnamon
    1/4tsp vanilla extract
    2 packets stevia

In blender combine oats, egg whites, cottage cheese, vanilla, cinnamon and stevia. Blend 1 minute till smooth. Cook in Pam sprayed pan as you would any pancake.
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is my omelet:

1 egg
    1/4 cottage cheese
    garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley

Mix well in a sprayed microwave bowl. Microwave for 3 min or until firmly set. I serve with 2 T salsa.
    Enjoy!
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I saw the following recipe on here a few weeks back and made it with our cottage cheese... this is now going to be a staple meal in our household... DELISH!!!

JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS

Prep Time: 15min
    Cook Time: 10min
    Servings: 8
    Ingredients
    8 oz raw cottage cheese
    1/2 cup raw shredded cheddar cheese
    2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
    4 strips of turkey bacon, diced
    4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions
    1. Cook the turkey bacon in a skillet, let cool and then dice

2. Stir together the cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon, and jalapenos in a small bowl.

3. Cut a pocket horizontally through the thickest side of each chicken breast, and fill with 1/4 of the cheese mixture.

4. I browned mine on the stove on each side for a few minutes each in a frying pan w/ olive oil and then because chicken breasts are pretty thick, they can be finished in a 350-degree oven.

Make sure to seal the pocket with toothpicks so the stuffing doesn't come out.

**** This is NOT my recipe - I got it from a post here on MFP. It is SO SO SO GOOD though.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    cut the top off a tomato and stuff the cottage cheese inside, add some carrots / celery sticks.

Yes! I was reading through this whole post and couldn't believe no one had said this yet! I also like my cottage cheese with pineapple. I cannot stand fat free cottage cheese, though. Low fat, 2% is where it's at. ...That rhymed :happy: