Would you date someone whose religion is different than your

Options

Replies

• alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i think alot of people need to stop praising / praying to jesus and more of the most high
    you might not see it but when you pray to jesus/mary/saints your praying to idols and being a pagan

The Trinity...God in 3 persons. God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. I pray to God in Jesus name. There is only one name by which man can be saved, and that is Jesus!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My last relationship ended because he is Agnostic and I am a Christian. We finally had the "religion talk" and he said he wouldn't allow his children to go to church. That was a big deal to me, considering I grew up going to church 2x/week. I told him I couldn't raise children without bringing them to church, so we broke up.

Now that we have been apart for several months, I have been actually excited to meet someone with the same beliefs as me, because I have never made religion a priority in my dating life before.

Well..now my ex has changed his tune a little, and says he'd allow his children to go to church. He misses me, still loves me, etc, etc, and wants to get back together. Great! But is he going to ignore everything relating to God except the going to church part? For example, if I am having a conversation about God to my kids, is he just going to leave the room? I really don't see how I can keep God in my life AND my ex at the same time.

How important do you think it is to date someone who has the same religious beliefs as you? I want your opinions, please!

your question yes i would date some one who has or dosen't have religion this might get me in trouble but i wouldn't date a jehovah's witnesses just because i don't share there ideas not even a little bit.

but for situation my two cents just because he says they can go to church is he going to allow the blessing of the food, or daily prayers, or even bible studies. i think your in for an upset sorry to say
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm a non-denominational Christian and I've been married to a Mormon for 10 years. I respect his religion and he respects my spirituality.

Shortly after our daughter was born I went to church with him a few times to see what it was all about. I only attended the activity-type things and not the actual service. I got to meet the people of the church - who were all very kind and not nearly as "weird" as I thought they would be. There are many things I respect about my husband's faith (importance of family, none of their pastors receive a salary from the church, everyone helps each other out, etc.) - However there are lots of things about the Mormon faith I simply do not agree with and could never, ever agree with (the super-high status elevation of the founder is a big point of contention for me, really big). My husband and I talked about all these things and he understands how I feel. He could go to his church any time and it would not bother me, but for our daughter we both decided that she can make her own choice when she is old enough to do so.

Meanwhile her exposure to spirituality, generic religious teachings and God is given to her with a light heart by my husband and I jointly. And we've explained to her that there are many different religions, and that no one religion has the sole keys to the kingdom, in terms a child can understand. The other exposure she has is Veggie Tales. She loves Veggie Tales.

I truly wish I could find a good church that we could all go to together, but we haven't been able to find one. Everywhere we've went I "smell a rat" somewhere. I admit I am a very religion-suspicous person if that makes sense. In other words I love God very much, but I'm not a huge fan of Religion. There's just too much that Man can do to to twist things and/or take advantage of people.

But our marriage is working out quite well in this respect. I don't think anyone is doing themselves a favor by deciding to completely eliminate giving someone a chance based solely on religion. Of course there are some situations that are just not going to work out. But there are many situations where things can be worked out. It's a big world and there are lots of things to learn out there. Ultimately though you have to find your own path, the one that's right for you.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was raised Roman Catholic (never baptized though, so I must be going to hell right?) but am now agnostic. My husband was raised Pentecostal, now agnostic. But those were OUR choices. I think religious is a personal thing, that people can work with. If you're a Saturday morning church goer, make that your 'me time" and then offer him the same for his religion, or sports, or whatever floats his boat. As for children, we have 2 small boys, and we're leaving it up to them. If they someday decide that they want to go to every church in a 50 mile radius just to see whats out there, then I will drive them. Who am I to tell them what to believe in. I don't believe that having a God in their lives will make them good or bad people.

But this is MY opinion. I respect everyone elses opinions, and it's interesting to read what everyone has been saying.
  • KemahSunshine
    Options
    I usually stay out of arguments that involve "religion" but I am gonna chime in on this one. First off, I am a Christian and I do not believe in "religion" and I do not practice "religion". I have a personal relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. I am saved by GRACE, because I am a sinner and I deserve the punishment that Christ took for me on the cross. That being said, I believe as a born again Christian, you should marry one, not someone from another religion. And I certainly would never marry someone who claims there is no GOD. The Bible states you cannot serve two masters, because you will love one and hate the other. Therefore, I see being unequally yoked as trying to serve two masters, one wordly and one Godly. There is a good Christian man out there for you, just pray for God to bring him into your life. Seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you.

:flowerforyou: Thank You!!! You said it Perfectly!!!
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    I don't subscribe to any form of religion. My mother was raised a strict Catholic, but she made the decision when we were born that she would allow us to make our own choices when it comes to faith. She answered all "God" questions that we had, sharing with us what she was taught, how she felt, and some examples of what other people believed. I must say i am so glad she treated the subject this way.

I believe in being a good person, I believe in respecting each others rights to an opinion. I don't belive in organized religion. But on the other hand I don't mind if my children are exposed to religious education, as long as it is objectively informative and not idea pushing. I wouldn't take them to church as a rule, but if they asked me if they could go I would either let them go with a friend or take them myself so they can find out if they like it or not.

My partner has the same beliefs on religion as me - although he was more black and white about it at the start - delcaring that he would never allow his children to go to any form of church or attend religious studies at school. Now that we've discussed it at length he has realised that he was being too closed minded about it.

I think it would be hard to overcome a difference in religious positions in a relationship - BUT if you are a good match in every other way you will find a way to work it out. Two close friends of mine are a devout catholic/agnostic couple and they just agree to disagree. She takes the children to church with her for now but they have a mutual agreement that they will never push the kids into it unwillingly.

I think they key is to remove emotion from the discussion. Just talk about it as objectively as possible.
  • keh40
    keh40 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am a Roman Catholic and have been raised in the church. Honestly, dating or marrying anyone of a different belief never turns out well. It causes far too much tension in a relationship and major conflicts emerge that typically turn "love" into "hatred". I have seen this happen countless times with teens and adults who date Protestants or even agnostics/atheists. I am not saying that differences are unhealthy in a relationship. But I am saying that something as fundamental as your faith is something that you want your bf/husband to have the same views as you. Your faith should bring yourselves closer to each other and God. Not bring you apart.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    i think you were right to break up with him. It is really important to date and marry someone who has the same beliefs as you, same faith and practice helps too. (there are different flavors to each denomination)

I wouldn't date anyone who doesn't believe like me. I have thought about it a couple times in the past, but the first time it didn't work out, for which I am glad, and then the last time, it just was not even going to happen. God protects us. :)

^^^this
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am Christian, too... and 15 years ago my boyfriend wasn't. I had always said, that I wouldn't marry a man who wasn't a Christian because my faith is such a big part of my life - it makes me who I am, affects how I think and how I do things. I couldn't fathom ignoring the biggest part of my life, let alone having the most important person in my life not 'getting' what makes me, me... But he asked me to marry him, and I loved him so I said yes... but my need for a Christian husband took over and we broke up (we went thru this routine twice) before she started to 'look into' my religion more seriously. He, at one point, decided that he could be a Christian, so he became one... prayed the 'sinners prayer' and really took it seriously... it was wonderful! So we got married, and it was all different after that. He told me that he was 'faking' it for me, and that he just said it so I would marry him - I was hurt! We have now been married for almost 12 years now, and for the most part we are happy - except when we talk about faith - ya, the biggest part of me life! We have 2 kids, and whenever they have questions about God/Jesus - he sends them to me for answers - He will go to church with me every now and then if I ask him too, BUT he makes sure I know that he's 'only going for me'. Would I trade my life? or would I want to be married to someone else? NO WAY! But I will tell you, it is not always easy to be 'unequally yoked'.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with your position. Now, I wasn't raised going to church, and I wasn't raised particularly religious (borderline agnostic, generally believing in God but with total freedom to believe what we chose), but I do care about giving my children an environment in which religion isn't looked down upon, even by just one parent. They'll get enough of that elsewhere. I wouldn't have a relationship with someone who was anti-religious, or generally had strong views that I had a problem with my children learning.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It depends on what's important to you... People value different things in relationships. When I was younger I always thought I'd only date Christians, but as the years wore on and I gained more and more dating experience, I realized what's important to me. It's ok that my bf isnt religious, because it isn't that important to me,but having someone with a good heart is. You can try it and if it doesn't work out, you are a step closer to finding out who's right for you.
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My last relationship ended because he is Agnostic and I am a Christian. We finally had the "religion talk" and he said he wouldn't allow his children to go to church. That was a big deal to me, considering I grew up going to church 2x/week. I told him I couldn't raise children without bringing them to church, so we broke up.

Now that we have been apart for several months, I have been actually excited to meet someone with the same beliefs as me, because I have never made religion a priority in my dating life before.

Well..now my ex has changed his tune a little, and says he'd allow his children to go to church. He misses me, still loves me, etc, etc, and wants to get back together. Great! But is he going to ignore everything relating to God except the going to church part? For example, if I am having a conversation about God to my kids, is he just going to leave the room? I really don't see how I can keep God in my life AND my ex at the same time.

How important do you think it is to date someone who has the same religious beliefs as you? I want your opinions, please!

I feel religion is irrelevant in determining who you love. Religion is nothing more than philosophy on living life.
  • D446
    Options
    No. I am not religious and I wouldn't date sOmeone who was.

I would as long as they didn't keep trying to convert me. I just wish we could all get along, religious differences shouldn't be such an issue.

I have nothing against anyone who is religious, but I know that being with someone who has completely different views on this particular topic, would not work for me. I am sure the majority of religious people would not want to be with me either lol :)
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    As long as they were not "shoving" there beliefs down my throat, religion tends to make some frantic and almost nuts. People should believe in what they want to, so as long as they didnt do that it would be fine. ("but how would you raise the kids" a different story).
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    As a Christian, it is a big problem to marry someone who is not a Christian. In the Bible, Jesus tells us not to be "unequally yoked" with a non-believer (2nd Corinthians chapter 6).

if we r going there....

Corinthians 7:12-14

To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

my husband claims to be an athiest due to hardships he has faced in his life. i have a unique view of god and am very spiritual. he told our story to a coworker one day and this is what she told him. not to mention he also is slowly changing his views :flowerforyou:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    i think alot of people need to stop praising / praying to jesus and more of the most high
    you might not see it but when you pray to jesus/mary/saints your praying to idols and being a pagan

The Trinity...God in 3 persons. God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. I pray to God in Jesus name. There is only one name by which man can be saved, and that is Jesus!

I have another good book for you to read. It's called Misquoting Jesus. The author was Evangelical and wrote this book, definitely worth the read if you're open-minded.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is Atheist. I was raised Baptist, but would say I am more 'spiritual' than religious. We get along fine. He was raised Catholic, himself. He agreed religion can teach great morals (that you can learn without it as well), but also believes just men wrote a very enticing book. Nothing more to it than that. It doesn't bother me.

Recently, my Great Grandmother passed. We did a 'family' prayer, and my religious mother, looked at him and said 'You dont have to come to the prayer, but when we go to walk down the center of the church, I would like you with the family." He himself doesnt believe, but feels everyone has the right to believe in what they choose to.

I dont have a single problem with it. However, we also dont want kids and I have a small problem (due to being TOO close to church politics) where IF I wanted and had kids, I would prefer Bible study at home versus a church anyway regardless.
  • D446
    Options

Ohh geez.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    "I like to picture Jesus as a figure skater. He wears like a white outfit, and He does interpretive ice dances of my life's journey." --Cal Naughton, Jr.