Would you date someone whose religion is different than your

Options

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    You just cut out a real live person who loved you from your life for something that isn't even real.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Mary was not Divine, just a young Jewish girl. God could just have easily chose any other Jewish girl, but he chose Mary. That makes her special, but not worthy of worship.

As someone who was raised a young Jewish girl, I would be pretty annoyed to be "chosen".

Aw c'mon, you get to float up to Heaven, totally intact, get a crown, never age and get a whole series of prayers in your honor...and eternal vriginity. It's like some bizarro-land version of Twilight but less werewolvian.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I've reported the thread. The name calling is uncalled for. The OP asked for an opinion of what you would choose not having herself criticized. Be civil.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is atheist but he believes everyone should have their own choice to believe what they want. I like that about him. I don't think I would want my children to get used to a religion, or feel pressured into a religion. If they are Christian, I want them to believe if fully, and want to be Christian. My bf and I have no issues with educating our children on all sides of the issue, so we do not have a problem with differences in religion.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    You just cut out a real live person who loved you from your life for something that isn't even real. You're an idiot. You are an adult. Start THINKING like one.

ugh.:grumble:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have. I was married to a Wiccan for 2 years and I am a messianic Jew. I could have handled it if he wasn't abusive, but that had nothing to do with Wicca. He was just a douche.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    I've reported the thread. The name calling is uncalled for. The OP asked for an opinion of what you would choose not having herself criticized. Be civil.

I'm a big girl, I can handle it. I wish you would have reported the individual users instead of the thread. There are A LOT of responses that are civilized and welcomed.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am pretty surprised with the answers. I honestly thought 'sure, as long as we respect each others beliefs and raise our kids learning from both perspectives, so they can to do the same' would be the general gist of it. I'm not judging, just observing.

My parents, a Jew and a Christian, ran into this problem when they had kids. How does one teach a child to believe in the existence of Christ, and believe that the savior has not yet come to Earth simultaneously?

My boyfriend and I don't ever plan on having children, so that really isn't an issue for me, but I wouldn't really be comfortable dating someone who believed in a higher being.

Firstly, I don't plan on children either but if I did have them I would raise them that those are two ways of thinking. I would try to give them a well rounded education in both, as well as a good understanding of other religions. Then, when they get old enough, they can choose. I would encourage them to embrace whatever they most identify with. But this is hypothetical in my case.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I could date a theist, as long as their beliefs were more communal than serious. I.E. many people go to church functions or believe in a god, but they don't take things like the bible or the pope seriously.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

I'm a big girl, I can handle it. I wish you would have reported the individual users instead of the thread. There are A LOT of responses that are civilized and welcomed.

I did...on several...but they will lock the thread because of the drama. Sorry, that no one can be an adult anymore.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

Name-calling is my right as a free-thinking adult, thankyouverymuch. Also, what I said was true. Why do you feel the need to censor original thoughts?

Go read the forum rules.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i think it's totally possible as long as you have the discussion before you have kids and as long as neither of you push it on the other. i'm a catholic and have dated a jew, a muslim, several atheists, etc. we just agreed that no one was out to convert the other. those relationships never got to the point of having a conversation about children, but i would have no problem raising my children in multiple faith traditions.

punchline is that yes, i believe it is possible as long as you both respect each others' beliefs (not agree, but respect) and you can come to an agreement about how to raise the kids.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Name-calling is my right as a free-thinking adult, thankyouverymuch. Also, what I said was true. Why do you feel the need to censor original thoughts?

Go read the forum rules.

Oh, Christ.

:tongue:
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Oh, Christ.

Yes, my child?
  • tjamuna1
    tjamuna1 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Go read the forum rules.

your the one who is clearly a child
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

Go read the forum rules.

your the one who is clearly a child

Yep must be, lol.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Oh, Christ.

Yes, my child?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :drinker:
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Let's talk about politics, abortion, euthanasia and global warming now.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Let's talk about politics, abortion, euthanasia and global warming now.

Also which country is the best, and why we hate fat/skinny/anyone who isn't us people
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Why are ya'll panties tied in a bunch over a few written words on a message board...calm the **** down.