Diatomaceous Earth

Options

Replies

• Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This thread has given me dozens of LOL moments.... Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about it but I DO recall gathering either 4 of 8 of these in Zul'Drak.

Lollercoaster.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'm actually looking for people who are researched and experienced in using DE.... not people who are trying to school me on why not to use it. Thanks.

You just saved me some time doing some reading, if you ask for opinions and information you will get them, if you are simply seeking validation you're in the wrong place.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I only remember three things about DE.

1. I used it to filter my 55-gallon salt water tanks when I used to keep fish.

2. Christian Slater (bomber pilot) got in trouble with Samantha Mathis (park ranger) in the movie Broken Arrow when he stepped in a pile of DE after crash landing his stealth bomber in the desert.

3. I saw the quest in Zul'Drak and skipped it. (Didn't want to risk any crap from the park rangers.)

I understand the differentiation made between filter grade and food grade, but I still wouldn't want to ingest that stuff.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    it is suppose to get rid of any kind of micro organisims in your system.........

And see, this is where the whole logic is flawed....we're supposed to have microorganisms in our digestive tract. Mess with the balance of your gut flora, and you will pay. :flowerforyou: If it really worked, you would become very sick, very fast.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I feed it to my horses to keep the fly population down, no adverse effects. I also dust my dogs, cats and chickens with it for ticks. Food grade isn't harmful just don't know abour digestion but people have been eating it for years
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about it but I DO recall gathering either 4 of 8 of these in Zul'Drak.
    HAAH! xD That is exactly what I thought of when I saw this.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options

Will you marry me? In Dalaran?
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Jeezus Christ, why can't people just eat FOOD anymore?

sigh.png

I eat food. :smile:

Yay! Me too! :wink:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    As I was completely bored last night, I spent about 2 hours attempting to find a legitimate peer-reviewed, statistically significant study on this stuff. Result: Nada. Zilch. What I did come up with was a never ending barrage of con sites spewing half-assed pseudoscience and anecdotal reports.

OP, it's all good - do what you will, pay richly for it, drink it. I would wager that any positive effects you experience will be either 1) placebo or 2) contextual because something else in your nutrient intake changes.

I also have digestive issues. Know what helps them more than anything? Water, soluble fiber, decent nutrient balance and regular exercise. You know - those things nature spent a couple of million years shaping our bodies to utilize for health.
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    Bump. I'm thoroughly grossed out and equally intrigued. Update us on your status in the morning, OP :drinker:

And to think we waste time arguing about the pros and cons of diet soda when people are drinking pest control products!

Don't be condescending.... read about it and educate yourself. It's not a chemical, I'm sure it's a hell of a lot less damaging than aspartame or McDonalds. It's more like eating dirt than a pest control product...... lol

Actually, I can't imagine it less less damaging than aspartame. The only way I could get rid of the fleas my dog picked up at the dog park, without using the poison sold in the pet stores, was to rub FOOD GRADE (since all caps seems to be important?) DE on her. It killed all the fleas. And their eggs. Never saw a flea again. So, it is eating a pest control product.

Second, I could be wrong, since I've never tried it, but I'm reasonably confident that rubbing her with aspartame would not have had the same success rate, thus making it less lethal than DE.

Third, the DE was a powdery mess that choked me up when I applied it. I inhaled some and it felt exactly like getting all that chalk dust up your nose when the teachers made you pound out the erasers. It was awful. And it seemed to coat my hands and m skin and sucked the moisture out of every part of me it touched. This does not sound like something I want to ingest.

If you try it, good luck. But it sounds sketchy and slightly dangerous to me.
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Pulled from this link:

http://absorbentproductsltd.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/food-grade-vs-pool-grade-diatomaceous-earth-the-dl-on-de/
    What is the difference between food and feed grade diatomaceous earth?

Although these two types are very similar there is one very important distinction between them. Food Grade DE must meet certain specifications regarding heavy metal content. To be considered Food Grade, the Diatomaceous Earth must not contain more than 10mg/kg of arsenic and no more than 10mg/kg of lead.

I wouldn't be using it for weight loss.....

Just because the presence of arsenic and lead is greatly reduced does not change the fact that arsenic and lead are both present in food grade diatomaceous earth. Therefore, you are essentially poisoning your body in the name of weight loss. Any product that promotes weight loss in any way that is not to the overall benefit of the body is not well received by the people on these forums. The "food grade" diatomaceous earth is a trade-off type product in which you give up some part of your health to improve some other part of your health. That is not the purpose of this website.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Why do people ask these questions when they clearly have all the answers? Just drink it if you know what you're doing.

I don't have all the answers... lol ! I have just researched it like crazy! I'm not going to just chug some *kitten* someone scraped off the bottom of a bagillion year old lake. I'm scared ! So, I was hoping someone experienced actually did have all the answers.

If you are scared why use it? There are other things out there to use for various digestive issues that may not be as potentially dangerous as this one.

It's good to get all the information about something before you take it. However, if something makes you scared to ingest it you shouldn't be taking it. Find an alternative.

Also, when you post something on a public board you will get answers you may not like... take them and move on. Don't try just to seek answers to back up your decision.
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can see that there are lots of people on this webisite that enjoy writing with a puffed up chest. I didn't ask for sarcastic banter and insulting remarks. I asked for people who knew what they were talking about and that is clearly not what I got. Thank you to those of you who actually gave unbiased facts and didn't spew garabage just to get a reaction from others. Your maturity is recognized and appreciated.

I'm an esthetician and I use coffee grains as an exfolliator because of the coarseness and because the caffeine had a tightening effect. Does that mean I also drink dermal exfolliator? get a grip.

I've got what I came for. I'm out.

Love and light.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

that sounds like smoking pot after doing coke - a lot of work and money to get you back to where you started.
    [/quote]

loved this :laugh:
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Come on, do it already. I want to know what happens afterward. That's if you can make it back to the keyboard. When the parasites come out do they attack you or do the magic rocks kill them?

OMG LMFAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Love and light.

Aaaand the penny drops. :drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be using it for weight loss.....

What would you be using it for? What benefit could you possibly obtain that would be worth the trade-off of ingesting trace amounts of poison? I assume I don't need to tell you the potential side effects of ingesting either lead or arsenic. And, if you aren't planning to use it for weight loss, why are you inquiring about it on a "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum?
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I can see that there are lots of people on this webisite that enjoy writing with a puffed up chest. I didn't ask for sarcastic banter and insulting remarks. I asked for people who knew what they were talking about and that is clearly not what I got. Thank you to those of you who actually gave unbiased facts and didn't spew garabage just to get a reaction from others. Your maturity is recognized and appreciated.

I'm an esthetician and I use coffee grains as an exfolliator because of the coarseness and because the caffeine had a tightening effect. Does that mean I also drink dermal exfolliator? get a grip.

I've got what I came for. I'm out.

Love and light.

Does your "dermal exfolliator" come with a warning to wear a safety mask and gloves in order to prevent serious lung damage? Does it carry a label warning against ingestion? If so, then yes, your coffee is, in fact, a "dermal exfolliator," and you shouldn't drink it.

I was being sincerely interested when I asked why you would want to drink this. I am curious, what are its alleged benefits and what reliable, respected sources of research back up those beneficial claims? I'm honestly interested in reputable sources of scientifically sound information. I'm funny that way, though.

Sorry you didn't get what you were looking for here--maybe a caveat next time, letting everyone know that you aren't really looking for unbiased information, but rather for support for a decision you've already made? Because folks disagreeing with you doesn't equal folks who don't know what they're talking about. In fact, it's often the exact opposite.

I hope this works for you, and I hope it doesn't harm you in any way. I mean that.
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    We use it to kill scorpions and other insects.