And you thought Special K bars were good?

Options
This was eye opening to me.. and part of the reason I almost never buy "bars" of any kind...

http://blog.fooducate.com/2012/03/19/review-special-k-protein-meal-bars/

Some of the basics from the article:
What you need to know:

Special K began its life as a cereal for dieters in 1956. The Kellogg’s company created a very low fat cereal from rice and wheat. Ever since, the product line has expanded and grown to non cereal products. The bar / meal replacement category is a perfect fit for the Special K message of dieting, and thus we find ourselves with these protein meal bars on sale.

Here is the ingredient list from the bar we examined; it takes about the same time to read it as a magazine:

Coating [Sugar, Palm Kernel and Palm Oil, Milk Protein Isolate, Yogurt Powder (Cultured Whey Protein Concentrate, Cultured Skim Milk, Yogurt Cultures; Heat-Treated after culturing), Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Color Added], Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Syrup, Strawberry Flavored Fruit Pieces (Sugar, Cranberries, Citric Acid, Natural Strawberry Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, Elderberry Juice Concentrate for Color, Sunflower Oil), Inulin, Fructose, Polydextrose, Sugar, Rice Starch, Vegetable Oil [Partially Hydrogenated Soybean, Cottonseed and Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil (Less Than 0.5g Trans Fat Per Serving) with TBHQ and Citric Acid for Freshness], Cereal [Rice, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Defatted Wheat Germ, Salt, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Whey, Malt Flavoring, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid], Dextrose, Calcium Carbonate, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Reduced Iron, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), BHT (Preservative), Egg Whites, Pecans, Almonds, Wheat Flour, Peanuts, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, Vitamin D.

There is so much crap in this bar that we don’t know where to begin:

Partially hydrogenated oils (ie trans fat)
4 tsp of sugar, almost all of it added
barely any real strawberry
the fiber is added in the form of inulin, not through whole grains
BHT (potential carcinogen) and TBHQ (causes nausea and delirium) are used as preservatives
artificial and natural flavorings
a laundry list of added vitamins and minerals, because this fake food has no nutrients on its own.
What to do at the airport:

You’re better off with a bag of potato chips than this so called “health bar”.

Replies

• mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm glad to have celiac sometimes. LOL
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I never thought they were healthy. I did, however, think they were 90 calories and delicious. Still do. =)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I wish more people understood this. I don't care what people eat for the most part but when they are misled into believing these things (and all other things that are labeled as healthy that really aren't) really gets to me lol
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    This is why processed food scares the hell out of me. If I don't make it, I seriously don't want to eat it.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that they don't taste very good and they are not filling. I'd rather grab fruit, a bag of nuts, or a smoothie if I'm looking for something on the go.
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yuck. Exactly why I don't eat it. Anything with high fructose corn syrup, palm oil or a list of ingredients that long and half of them I have no idea what they are, NO WAY.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    When buying any kind of meal replacement bar, or even making your own, be sure to look at the carb to protien ratio. The worst it should be is 2:1 carbs to protien. Most are more like 3 or 4:1.

I use cliff builder bars, 20 g protien and like 32 g carbs including sugars.

Pure protien is even better but they have alcahol sugars in them. they are really close to 1:1 though.
  • JMNealer
    JMNealer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never considered them a healthy item, however, they have been a great breakfast bar that keeps me full until lunch. Ever heard of a homemade recipe that could be created with a healthier mix of ingredients?
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    "To each their own." I eat Special K bars just about every day and no problem losing weight and staying healthy (according to my doctor) at all.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The way those products are marketed is horrible. It's purely junk food.

If I'm going to eat junk I'd just as soon have a chocolate bar and call it what it is, then eat those bars every day and call it healthy.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I never considered them a healthy item, however, they have been a great breakfast bar that keeps me full until lunch. Ever heard of a homemade recipe that could be created with a healthier mix of ingredients?

Yup me too!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Those are like candy bars IMO.

I have a great recipe and make my own protein granola bars that I have pre-workout.
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    Well thanks for that.....I just ate one!!!!! Guess I won't be having anymore of those!!!!! I think I will try and figure out a way to make my own so I know what I am putting in my mouth.....hahaha. I like the simplicity of a bar before I work out......but special K is out now :/ bummer.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anybody can argue that they are healthy as in "nutritious". However, if you're craving something sweet and salty, grabbing one of the Special K Chocolatey Crunch bars, for example, at 90 calories and 2.5g fat is a helluva lot HEALTHIER (not healthy) than grabbing chocolate bar that's 250 calories and 12g of fat. Junk is junk, but there are better junk options. ;)
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    Someone please post a recipe for a homemade one....PLEASEEEEEEE
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Larabars!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I just switched to these from Fiber 1 bars. Now I guess I'll be switching again. Any suggestions on some good bars the are good for you, low cost and can be found in the grocery store?
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    the most annoying part is that here in Spain they are advertised as healthy alternative to snacking carrots (the ads are saying they are as healthy but more delicious)! once I found out how bad they are I decided to sabottage all Kellogs products.

I hate misinformation, I mean if I eat at Mcdonalds at least I know it has trans fats, but I would never figure Kellogs would use them too!
  • joannea1988
    Options
    i beat loads as the "healthy" alternative omg never again ill stick to fruit x
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    yummmmm