And you thought Special K bars were good?

Options

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    A lot of those ingredients are vitamins and such. Trans fat sneaks into nearly everything as it helps
    make things more palatable. They may not be the healthiest choice, but they certainly aren't demon food.
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a recipe if anyone has one that tastes good!! :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This was eye opening to me.. and part of the reason I almost never buy "bars" of any kind...

http://blog.fooducate.com/2012/03/19/review-special-k-protein-meal-bars/

Some of the basics from the article:
    What you need to know:

Special K began its life as a cereal for dieters in 1956. The Kellogg’s company created a very low fat cereal from rice and wheat. Ever since, the product line has expanded and grown to non cereal products. The bar / meal replacement category is a perfect fit for the Special K message of dieting, and thus we find ourselves with these protein meal bars on sale.

Here is the ingredient list from the bar we examined; it takes about the same time to read it as a magazine:

Coating [Sugar, Palm Kernel and Palm Oil, Milk Protein Isolate, Yogurt Powder (Cultured Whey Protein Concentrate, Cultured Skim Milk, Yogurt Cultures; Heat-Treated after culturing), Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Color Added], Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Syrup, Strawberry Flavored Fruit Pieces (Sugar, Cranberries, Citric Acid, Natural Strawberry Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, Elderberry Juice Concentrate for Color, Sunflower Oil), Inulin, Fructose, Polydextrose, Sugar, Rice Starch, Vegetable Oil [Partially Hydrogenated Soybean, Cottonseed and Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil (Less Than 0.5g Trans Fat Per Serving) with TBHQ and Citric Acid for Freshness], Cereal [Rice, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Defatted Wheat Germ, Salt, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Whey, Malt Flavoring, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid], Dextrose, Calcium Carbonate, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Reduced Iron, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), BHT (Preservative), Egg Whites, Pecans, Almonds, Wheat Flour, Peanuts, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, Vitamin D.

There is so much crap in this bar that we don’t know where to begin:

Partially hydrogenated oils (ie trans fat)
    4 tsp of sugar, almost all of it added
    barely any real strawberry
    the fiber is added in the form of inulin, not through whole grains
    BHT (potential carcinogen) and TBHQ (causes nausea and delirium) are used as preservatives
    artificial and natural flavorings
    a laundry list of added vitamins and minerals, because this fake food has no nutrients on its own.
    What to do at the airport:

You’re better off with a bag of potato chips than this so called “health bar”.

This is why I either make my own or buy Kind Bars. I actually have 2 types of kind at my desk right now as just incase snacks. Ingredent list on Almond Cashew with flax + Omega-3: Dates, almonds, cashews, honey, NON GMO Glucose, milled flax seed, chicory fiber, natural flavor.

Cranberry Almond + antioxidants: almonds, dried cranberries (cranberries, sugar, sunflower oil), macadamias, honey, Non GMO glucose, puffed rice, chicory fiber, soy lecthin

The bars aren't the problem, the brand is . . .
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Someone please post a recipe for a homemade one....PLEASEEEEEEE

I actually just posted my recipe in the "recipe" section. :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    THE best bar out there nutritionally is Quest Bar protein bars. HIGH in protein (this is important), gluten free, high fiber, low sugar, low net carbs, minimal ingredients!

And there are 2 different lines:
    the original line uses NO sugar alcohols (but uses TRACE amounts of sucralose)
    the all natural line uses NO artificial sweetener (but uses TRACE amounts of Stevia and a sugar alcohol called Erythritol)

But, here's the scoop on Erythitol:
    "While Erythritol is classified as a sugar alcohol it is ENTIRELY different than all of the others. It does not upset stomachs, it contains only 0.2 calories per gram and has little to no impact on blood sugar."

Quest Bars are eaten by professional body builders and fitness competitors up to and through competition; that's how "clean" these bars are!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Mhm I threw mine out, my husband thought he was doing good and bought me all these things, Special K and the 100 calorie snack packs. Just cus it's low in calorie, don't make it healthy, just cus it's high in calorie doesn't make it not healthy. I'm trying to avoid processed foods, but it's not always the case, still a learning process.
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Those are like candy bars IMO.

I have a great recipe and make my own protein granola bars that I have pre-workout.
    Would you share your recipe, please? I'd love to try to make something like this. Thanks!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The great thing about protein bars is they are simple to make at home.
    Whey protein, peanut butter, cocoa, and usually oatmeal with some skim milk.
    Why pay someone for something that takes 30 minutes to make in large quantities.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I eat a Special K Protein Meal Replacement bar probably 3 times a week for breakfast. They are so convenient and keep me satisfied until lunch time. I love them. I used to hit up McDonald's for breakfast several times a week, but the Special K bars have made it much easier for me to stay away from the drive-throughs in the mornings.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've always giggled when I see people with these in their shopping carts...or better yet, actually watching someone eat one and then tell me 10 minutes later that they're "starving"

Exactly why I'm a fan of clean eating. How is your body supposed to process all this junk, anyway?
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    the trans fat bothers me, but as a dessert they taste fantastic.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    THE best bar out there nutritionally is Quest Bar protein bars. HIGH in protein (this is important), gluten free, high fiber, low sugar, low net carbs, minimal ingredients!

the all natural line uses NO artificial sweetener (but uses TRACE amounts of Stevia and a sugar alcohol called Erythritol)

"While Erythritol is classified as a sugar alcohol it is ENTIRELY different than all of the others. It does not upset stomachs, it contains only 0.2 calories per gram and has little to no impact on blood sugar."

Quest Bars are eaten by professional body builders and fitness competitors up to and through competition; that's how "clean" these bars are!

I love those! But they're so high in fiber I can only eat 1/2 at a time haha
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    This is why i don't want to know anything about the food I eat
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anybody can argue that they are healthy as in "nutritious". However, if you're craving something sweet and salty, grabbing one of the Special K Chocolatey Crunch bars, for example, at 90 calories and 2.5g fat is a helluva lot HEALTHIER (not healthy) than grabbing chocolate bar that's 250 calories and 12g of fat. Junk is junk, but there are better junk options. ;)
    I don't believe that is true at all. Just because something has less fat and calories doesn't mean its healthier than something with more fat and calories. If you eat a Lindt Swiss Dark Chocolate bar (6 pieces 105 calories 6g fat) you are also getting fiber and antioxidants from the chocolate. With a special K bar you are getting trans fats and chemicals. No thanks.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

I love those! But they're so high in fiber I can only eat 1/2 at a time haha

Really? The type of fiber in these bars isn't the type that causes bloating and stomach distress. (I don't know the correct nutrional info as to why). But, I do know that I have and do sometimes eat 2 or 3 bars in a day with no stomach issues.
    And I can't eat half at a time; they are too good and I have to eat the entire thing! :tongue:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't see why this article was eye-opening. The ingredients are on the label.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I never thought they were healthy. I did, however, think they were 90 calories and delicious. Still do. =)

The bars in question are the "meal" bars, 180 calories.
  • barenaud13
    Options
    Processed crap is processed crap. On a college budget, if I want to eat healthy, I have to make some exceptions.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I never thought they were "healthy" just a quick, easy, low calorie snack.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I never thought they were "healthy" just a quick, easy, low calorie snack.

What's the point of eating it then?