And you thought Special K bars were good?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    And you thought Special K bars were good?

Nope :)
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    I used to eat the cereal every morning.... not anymore!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb:

IF YOU CAN'T PRONOUNCE IT DON'T EAT IT.

*this does not apply to ethnic food menus. ;)
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    MOST prepackaged, premade foods aren't good! Healthy Choice (snacks and meals), weight watchers, Lean Cuisine, etc.. I have read the labels over and over wishing they were good because it'd be so much easier!
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Read through that list of chemical ingredients (which is funny since all ingredients, and all foods are composed of chemicals), didn't find anything too bad, didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Having .025 grams of hydrogenated oil or gluten or anything on that list is going to negatively impact your health. Unless you decide to eat 20 bars a day, and even then I still think you'd be okay.

No solidevidence that BHT is bad for you. You'll even find it in health stores.

Also TBHQ is potentially harmful and this bar does not contain more than .02% of all oils as TBHQ. Considering 1 gram is considered POTENTIALLY and mildly harmful, I think you'd need to eat over 100 bars in a short period of time. So good luck with that.

In closing, stop worrying about "chemicals".
  • Marvalm3
    Marvalm3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    These energy bites are delicious! Very versatile recipe too...you can add anything as long as you keep the wet ingredient/dry ingredient ratio about the same. I've added dried cranberries instead of the mini chocolate chips and crushed cheerios instead of the shredded coconut and it still turned out really good! Love that I know everything that goes into them.

http://smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-bake-energy-bites-recipe.html
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mom.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I make granola balls similar to no bake cookies.

http://gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/

1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
    1 cup toasted coconut flakes (I used sunflower seeds)
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (I substituted protein powder)
    1/2 cup peanut butter (I used dark chocolate dreams by peanut butter & company, which is amazingly yummy)
    1/2 cup ground flaxseed
    1/3 cup honey (Next time I'll try subbing in applesauce, but I used this honey last time)
    1 tsp. vanilla

Mix wet ingredients, add dry ingredients, chill for an hour, form into balls. Mine made 20 balls, which had 12 carbs, 8 fat, 7 protein. Plus they are super nummy!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole. Don't even get me started on their bottled drinks that sit, unrefrigerated, right next to them in the store. Ick.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter and chocolate ones will cure a wicked hangover.

That alone should tell you something.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

You feel free to do so. I'll avoid them like the plaque, myself.

No thanks to HFCS, BHT, or most of those other 'added vitamins and flavorings and preservatives'. Just eat real food, no need to have artificial nutrients added to your food. :drinker:
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    This is why the only bar I buy is the Lara bars. They only have from 2 - 4 ingredient and that are all natural.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Larabars!

YES!!

double yes!!!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Read through that list of chemical ingredients (which is funny since all ingredients, and all foods are composed of chemicals), didn't find anything too bad, didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Having .025 grams of hydrogenated oil or gluten or anything on that list is going to negatively impact your health. Unless you decide to eat 20 bars a day, and even then I still think you'd be okay.

No solidevidence that BHT is bad for you. You'll even find it in health stores.

Also TBHQ is potentially harmful and this bar does not contain more than .02% of all oils as TBHQ. Considering 1 gram is considered POTENTIALLY and mildly harmful, I think you'd need to eat over 100 bars in a short period of time. So good luck with that.

^Hey look at that! Someone who knows something!

I wish the rest of you luck in growing all your own foods. You're going to be very hungry for a few months.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I eat one every morning....NEVER thought of them as healthy. Better then eating a Milky Way.
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options

No thanks to HFCS, BHT, or most of those other 'added vitamins and flavorings and preservatives'. Just eat real food, no need to have artificial nutrients added to your food. :drinker:

You do realize that all food is composed of chemicals right? How do you differentiate between good chemicals and bad ones?
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I never thought they were healthy. I did, however, think they were 90 calories and delicious. Still do. =)

haha agreed.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    At least they don't go mouldy in my desk (like fruit) if I forget to take them home on a Friday LOL

They may not be a "health" food but they are low cal and better than the Double Deckers or Snickers I used to eat that contributed to my obesity.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I suppose this is the motivation I needed to just buy protein powder (seems expensive) and stop grabbing the protein bars (feels more reasonably priced).
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options

You do realize that all food is composed of chemicals right? How do you differentiate between good chemicals and bad ones?

My general rule of thumb is if it requires a chemist to create it then it isn't food.