And you thought Special K bars were good?

Options

Replies

• Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Someone please post a recipe for a homemade one....PLEASEEEEEEE

Hi there! Scroll through the recipes thread/search on protein bars. I think even in the last coupla weeks there have been some good uns.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Meh. I try to eat as healthy as possible, but I'm not going to judge someone for eating a Special K bar. I eat convenient crap sometimes, too. I don't like the taste of Special K bars, but I'd probably eat them once in awhile if I did.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is why processed food scares the hell out of me. If I don't make it, I seriously don't want to eat it.
    Yep!!!!
    I don't even like eating at restaurants or other people's cooking
    I like knowing EXACTLY what went into making my food!!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anybody can argue that they are healthy as in "nutritious". However, if you're craving something sweet and salty, grabbing one of the Special K Chocolatey Crunch bars, for example, at 90 calories and 2.5g fat is a helluva lot HEALTHIER (not healthy) than grabbing chocolate bar that's 250 calories and 12g of fat. Junk is junk, but there are better junk options. ;)
    I don't believe that is true at all. Just because something has less fat and calories doesn't mean its healthier than something with more fat and calories. If you eat a Lindt Swiss Dark Chocolate bar (6 pieces 105 calories 6g fat) you are also getting fiber and antioxidants from the chocolate. With a special K bar you are getting trans fats and chemicals. No thanks.

Yep. I also think the dark chocolate bar is a lot more satisfying.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I love these and just finished eating one.

Apple Oatmeal Chocolate Protein Bars-

Ingredients:2 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cup natural nut butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, 4 scoops chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (add more if mix is too dry).

Directions: line 8" square baking dish with parchment paper, combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl, pour mixture into lined dish and smooth with the back of a spoon until even, place in freezer for 30 minutes. Remove and cut into 6 bars.

Information per serving: 330 calories, 16g fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 28g carbs, 6g fiber, 5g sugar, 22g protein, 1.5 mg iron. (Recipe from Oxygen magazine).

(If you find that too many calories, cut into 12 bars instead and it's only 165 cals.)
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I never thought they were healthy. I did, however, think they were 90 calories and delicious. Still do. =)

I'm in the same boat on this one.

However, I do think the whole idea of the "Special K Diet" is complete nonsense :\
  • happyprettygirl
    Options
    i used to buy them because of their low calories, but honestly i have never been satisfied with just one. they're yummy but aren't the least bit filling so i don't bother with them anymore. even eating a whole box, i couldn't get as full as i would eating 100 calories of real food.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree that less processed is better, but sometimes you don't have time/money/desire to make your own but want something that tastes sweet... I like Luna bars. Here's a link to their Nutritional information.

http://www.lunabar.com/products/ingredients/

I think the Clif Bar company does a good job balancing nutrition and taste... I LOVE the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Luna bars. They're delicious and filling and I think not too bad for ya.

But, as has been said here before: to each his own.

(I saw Kind bars listed... those are awesome too!!)
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I dont eat special K bars but I eat a fiber one bar just about everyday. Any thoughts on those? I love them because the cure my chocolate and sweet cravings. And they keep me full.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    I agree that they are crap, but I prefer the 90 calorie crap as a sweet treat vs the 500 calorie double chocolate chip brownie I used to eat that was loaded with even more fat.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    They're not really protein bars, so this may be slightly OT, but I love Larabars. They rarely have more than six ingredients and they're yummy. ie, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip: Dates, Peanuts, Chocolate Chips (Unsweetened Chocolate, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Vanilla), Sea Salt - that's it.

They are higher in sugar, but if you're craving something sweet, they're much better for you than a snickers bar. I usually have half before Kung Fu and half right after.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Wow. I did loose a lot of weight eating them, but don't anymore x
  • happyprettygirl
    Options
    They're not really protein bars, so this may be slightly OT, but I love Larabars. They rarely have more than six ingredients and they're yummy. ie, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip: Dates, Peanuts, Chocolate Chips (Unsweetened Chocolate, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Vanilla), Sea Salt - that's it.

They are higher in sugar, but if you're craving something sweet, they're much better for you than a snickers bar. I usually have half before Kung Fu and half right after.

i agree, lara bars are delicious! i love all of the flavors, but the chocolate chip cookie dough ones are to die for! i love how they only have a few ingredients as well.
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    If you're looking for home-made, filling, portable snacking?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/power-trip/index.html

Try any of the bars Alton makes on this show. I've tried them all and they're wonderful.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    This is why processed food scares the hell out of me. If I don't make it, I seriously don't want to eat it.

Same. Though I have my moments of insanity where I'm very busy and grab something like a protein bar or some kashi cereal. I would rather cook all my own food though and mostly do.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I agree that they are crap, but I prefer the 90 calorie crap as a sweet treat vs the 500 calorie double chocolate chip brownie I used to eat that was loaded with even more fat.

This.

Nobody should feel guilty about not being able to achieve magical unicorn healthy living status.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ditto the Larabars- they are fantastic! Gluten free, all natural, super tasty.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anybody can argue that they are healthy as in "nutritious". However, if you're craving something sweet and salty, grabbing one of the Special K Chocolatey Crunch bars, for example, at 90 calories and 2.5g fat is a helluva lot HEALTHIER (not healthy) than grabbing chocolate bar that's 250 calories and 12g of fat. Junk is junk, but there are better junk options. ;)
    I don't believe that is true at all. Just because something has less fat and calories doesn't mean its healthier than something with more fat and calories. If you eat a Lindt Swiss Dark Chocolate bar (6 pieces 105 calories 6g fat) you are also getting fiber and antioxidants from the chocolate. With a special K bar you are getting trans fats and chemicals. No thanks.

Read what I wrote - I was talking about a regular chocolate bar like Kit Kat or Coffee Crisp. On top of being higher calories/fats it has a lot of trans fats and chemicals as the Special K bars (actually more). So, yes, the Special K bar is the healthier choice. But like I said, junk is junk and that there are healthier junk options. I just don't think that the Special K bars are the devil because often times, they are the lesser of two evils.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    bump
  • moksumike
    moksumike Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Larabars!

YES!!