Guide: Properly lose BODY FAT % (For Women)!

Options

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Helloitsdan is anything but a hater ! .....sheesh

I am gonna bet he isn't a hater at all and probably gives great advice but that's how he came off as from all of his posts on this thread.

We are all here to help each other so most of the bashing/hating on each other is just pointless.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I knew you were agreeing with me, it's just the fact that you try to bash everyone instead of actually giving any sort of advice or RELEVANT information .

That's why you I believe you fit the description of a hater and why I believe the comment (yes, pop tarts) suits you right.

Can you show me a post where I bashed anyone?
    Aside from the Broscar I gave you for

"While cutting body fat, you'll be eating the least amount of calories your body needs. So it's important that you properly portion out your meals throughout the day so you don't starve yourself.
    The reason:
    Our bodies actually panic when we get into a starving mode and it ends up storing more fat later which you obviously don't want to happen. The more consistent your meals are, the more body fat you will actually lose since your body will "think" you don't need to keep it. So that's another reason why you shouldn't jump down to a real low calorie diet to start, gradually progress down and by keeping it close to your BMR."

This is horrible advice to give anyone who wants to lose just body fat.

What you meant to say was "Cut 20% off TDEE to lose 99% body fat and very little lean mass."

See?

If you were to diet near BMR youll lose 20-50% of your weight as lean mass.
    Thats not proper dieting.

You saw this as bashing.

I'm not bashing you at all i'm just saying that this statement is wrong on many aspects.

It would lead many people down Skinny-Fat boulevard.

I'm not trying to start anything but if I see a statement that will hinder someones diet i'll call it out.
  • emmatren83
    emmatren83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Can you help me?

I started a month ago and lost 7lb first week, 8 second week, 4 3rd week and this week only 2.

My TDEE IS 2936. Bearing in mind I have gone from a sedentry daily life to now doing cardio 1/2 hour to an hour at least 4/5 times a week.

My BMR is around 1891.

I'm eating around the 900 net calories range as admittedly I was obviously not understanding it correctly before I read this and wasn't looking at my net and only my gross, now just realising the net means I'm eating far too little.

I'm not hungry but understand thats probably because I've been training myself to get used to this in the last month. What calorie range should I be eating within?

Have a very important reason for losing the weight (in addition to normal health issues associated with being obese) and need to be able to understand this.

Pls help!
  • Lukazetta
    Options

I knew you were agreeing with me, it's just the fact that you try to bash everyone instead of actually giving any sort of advice or RELEVANT information .

That's why you I believe you fit the description of a hater and why I believe the comment (yes, pop tarts) suits you right.

"While cutting body fat, you'll be eating the least amount of calories your body needs. So it's important that you properly portion out your meals throughout the day so you don't starve yourself.
    The reason:
    Our bodies actually panic when we get into a starving mode and it ends up storing more fat later which you obviously don't want to happen. The more consistent your meals are, the more body fat you will actually lose since your body will "think" you don't need to keep it. So that's another reason why you shouldn't jump down to a real low calorie diet to start, gradually progress down and by keeping it close to your BMR."

What you meant to say was "Cut 20% off TDEE to lose 99% body fat and very little lean mass."

See?

You saw this as bashing.

I'm not bashing you at all i'm just saying that this statement is wrong on many aspects.

I'm not trying to start anything but if I see a statement that will hinder someones diet i'll call it out.

^^^This is the post you should have posted before. Thank you finally for proving your point.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    And apologies for the broscar.
    I should have posted this statement earlier to clear things up.
    =D
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

The reason:

See?

You saw this as bashing.

^^^This is the post you should have posted before. Thank you finally for proving your point.

LOL you beat me to it!
    =D
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    Hi, Can you help me?

I started a month ago and lost 7lb first week, 8 second week, 4 3rd week and this week only 2.

My TDEE IS 2936. Bearing in mind I have gone from a sedentry daily life to now doing cardio 1/2 hour to an hour at least 4/5 times a week.

My BMR is around 1891.

I'm eating around the 900 net calories range as admittedly I was obviously not understanding it correctly before I read this and wasn't looking at my net and only my gross, now just realising the net means I'm eating far too little.

I'm not hungry but understand thats probably because I've been training myself to get used to this in the last month. What calorie range should I be eating within?

Have a very important reason for losing the weight (in addition to normal health issues associated with being obese) and need to be able to understand this.

Pls help!

How much do you need?
    There is therefore a multitude of things that impact a persons MAINTENANCE calorie requirements
    - Age & sex (males generally need > females for any given age)
    - Total weight & lean mass (more lean mass = more needed)
    - Physiological status (eg: sick or injured, pregnant, growth and 'enhancement')
    - Hormones (eg: thyroid hormone levels, growth hormone levels)
    - Exercise level (more activity = more needed)
    - Daily activity level (more activity = more needed)
    - Diet (that is - macronutrient intake)

Your FAT/CARBS/PROTEIN plays a big part too...
    2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
    Average or lean bodyfat: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.40 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
    High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.4 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
    IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.30g/ pound.
    Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so - but carbs are important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS. [carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity)].
    If you are an athlete involved in a good volume of training I would suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
    Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    High active: 6.5 - 8.5 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
    INTENSE activity: + 8.5g / kg (more than 4g/ pound)

There are ways to also up your metabolism rate...
    Fact #1 A slow or sluggish metabolism is not the major cause of weight gain.

A caloric imbalance is the cause of weight gain (consuming more calories than you burn in a day). If you have a slow or sluggish metabolism? A brisk 30 minute walk each day would get you started in the right direction to speed it up.

Fact #2 Lifting weights (or other resistance exercises) and cardio exercise will give you a higher metabolic rate.

Specifically, a combination of circuit weight training and high intensity interval cardio will get your metabolism “revved up.”

Fact #3 Sweating is not a gauge of how many calories you are burning.

This may be bad news for sauna and steam room lovers! Weight loss or gain is a product of calories consumed or burned. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight and vice-versa.

Fact #4 The best time to exercise is whenever you have the most energy.

Working out at any time of the day will increase metabolism for several hours, depending on intensity.

Fact #5 Your metabolism doesn’t necessarily have to slow down as you get older. Again, a combination of circuit weight training and high intensity interval cardio will keep your metabolism “revved up” throughout your life.

Fact #6 Eating smaller, frequent meals will keep your metabolism “revved up” during the day. Your metabolism will slow down if there are too many hours between meals.

Fact #7 There is no significant evidence showing that eating certain foods/drinks such as peppers and green tea will speed your metabolism for a long period of time. Actually, any food will speed your metabolism within the first hour after you eat. A high-protein food might speed metabolism for a longer period of time since protein requires about 25% more energy to digest. Your best bet is to follow Fact #6 when it comes to eating.
    http://www.thefitnesspersonals.com/blog/?p=167
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    bump
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 3188
    My BMR is 1853.6

According to MFP, to lose 2lbs a week I need 1370cals. Which I try to stick to, sometimes more (since I'm doing P90X). I barely loose 1lb a week. What gives?
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    My TDEE is 3188
    My BMR is 1853.6

According to MFP, to lose 2lbs a week I need 1370cals. Which I try to stick to, sometimes more (since I'm doing P90X). I barely loose 1lb a week. What gives?

Eat above your BMR, especially with what Tony Horton makes you do everyday.
  • emmatren83
    emmatren83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Can you help me?

My BMR is around 1891.

Pls help!

How much do you need?
    There is therefore a multitude of things that impact a persons MAINTENANCE calorie requirements
    - Age & sex (males generally need > females for any given age)
    - Total weight & lean mass (more lean mass = more needed)
    - Physiological status (eg: sick or injured, pregnant, growth and 'enhancement')
    - Hormones (eg: thyroid hormone levels, growth hormone levels)
    - Exercise level (more activity = more needed)
    - Daily activity level (more activity = more needed)
    - Diet (that is - macronutrient intake)

Your FAT/CARBS/PROTEIN plays a big part too...
    2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
    Average or lean bodyfat: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.40 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
    High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.4 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
    IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.30g/ pound.
    Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so - but carbs are important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS. [carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity)].
    If you are an athlete involved in a good volume of training I would suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
    Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    High active: 6.5 - 8.5 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
    INTENSE activity: + 8.5g / kg (more than 4g/ pound)

There are ways to also up your metabolism rate...
    Fact #1 A slow or sluggish metabolism is not the major cause of weight gain.

A caloric imbalance is the cause of weight gain (consuming more calories than you burn in a day). If you have a slow or sluggish metabolism? A brisk 30 minute walk each day would get you started in the right direction to speed it up.

Fact #2 Lifting weights (or other resistance exercises) and cardio exercise will give you a higher metabolic rate.

Specifically, a combination of circuit weight training and high intensity interval cardio will get your metabolism “revved up.”

Fact #3 Sweating is not a gauge of how many calories you are burning.

This may be bad news for sauna and steam room lovers! Weight loss or gain is a product of calories consumed or burned. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight and vice-versa.

Fact #4 The best time to exercise is whenever you have the most energy.

Working out at any time of the day will increase metabolism for several hours, depending on intensity.

Fact #5 Your metabolism doesn’t necessarily have to slow down as you get older. Again, a combination of circuit weight training and high intensity interval cardio will keep your metabolism “revved up” throughout your life.

Fact #6 Eating smaller, frequent meals will keep your metabolism “revved up” during the day. Your metabolism will slow down if there are too many hours between meals.

Fact #7 There is no significant evidence showing that eating certain foods/drinks such as peppers and green tea will speed your metabolism for a long period of time. Actually, any food will speed your metabolism within the first hour after you eat. A high-protein food might speed metabolism for a longer period of time since protein requires about 25% more energy to digest. Your best bet is to follow Fact #6 when it comes to eating.
    http://www.thefitnesspersonals.com/blog/?p=167

Thanks for your help. I'll try and digest (!) all this.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 3188
    My BMR is 1853.6

Eat above your BMR, especially with what Tony Horton makes you do everyday.

Thanks. I will try that. I should probably aim for 2000cals/day.
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump- wanna read later
  • 0622cameron
    Options
    Bump
  • NayaP
    NayaP Posts: 46
    Options
    bump
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kodijhill
    kodijhill Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    who would like to calculate mine im totally bad at math
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    who would like to calculate mine im totally bad at math

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi, Can you help me?

My BMR is around 1891.

Pls help!