Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I say do what you want, its ultimate up to what you want.

I personally am not a fan of any cardio even though its good for the heart. The 1 piece of cardio equipment I can stand is the Arc trainer. I hate the treadmill and elliptical. Now that I'm moving somewhere with bike trails I might do some bike riding.

I like lifting weights 5 days a week. On occasion I get in a spurt where I walk my dog a few times a week for a few weeks in a row and then stop.

I prefer lifting.
    If cardio is so good for the heart (the more the better) then why do so many marathon runners die from heart attacks in their 20s and 30s? Why does a marathon runner's heart swell up and take about three months to get back to normal size?
    I don't think excessive cardio is good for the heart at all.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've seen a couple of threads like this. I think the point that they mean to make is that if you are doing only cardio you are missing something in your work out. However, some of these threads aren't bringing out that point very well and make it sound like cardio is evil and horrible and something you shouldn't be doing. I think that there definitely needs to be a balance of both cardio and strength training. However, If someone is doing only one or the other, at least they are doing something, which is better that sitting on the couch and they shouldn't get flack for trying to better themselves. Personally, I love lifting. I started doing it in high school and I love the results it provides for me.I gives me the best visual results. It helps me to look more tone and helps me be stronger. I also like the benefits of cardio. I feel like I have more energy when I'm consistently doing cardio. That being said, I don't necessarily enjoy doing cardio. Just because I like lifting better doesn't mean cardio is bad.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am LOVING lifting heavy, and it really has made the most drastic difference in my body composition in the shortest amount of time. More-so than all the years of cardio, including training and running a half marathon. I generally do get my heart rate up and put on a good sweat when I'm lifting as well. So, I'm certain there are cardiovascular benefits working as well.

That said, I will never give up Zumba! It's my favorite!!
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There should be a good solid balance of the two. I lift 3x per week and do cardio 3x per week and take Sunday's off completely. It seems to be working well for me as a well rounded work out plan.

This exactly! This is what I'm doing too and it's worked like a charm for me. Muscle is great to have but not at the expense of my cardiovascular health. I enjoy the best of both worlds :)

Ditto on the above. I love my cardio and love my strength training. For women, as we age it is very important to include strength training into our routine. Keeps our bones healthy and our bodies young.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Cardio leads to "skinny fat" and some people seem to have issues with the whole "skinny fat" look and think that every muscle should be worked hard and defined.. Yea sure I do strength training but I do not wanna get "ripped"

I'd like to have a "skinny fat" body.. But if people hear me say that I get stick for it

What the heck is skinny fat?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Cardio leads to "skinny fat" and some people seem to have issues with the whole "skinny fat" look and think that every muscle should be worked hard and defined.. Yea sure I do strength training but I do not wanna get "ripped"

I'd like to have a "skinny fat" body.. But if people hear me say that I get stick for it

This has been answered multiple times in this thread already.

Essentially skinny fat is being a healthy weight but having a high BF%, usually do to very little muscle.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    There should be a good solid balance of the two. I lift 3x per week and do cardio 3x per week and take Sunday's off completely. It seems to be working well for me as a well rounded work out plan.

This exactly! This is what I'm doing too and it's worked like a charm for me. Muscle is great to have but not at the expense of my cardiovascular health. I enjoy the best of both worlds :)

Ditto on the above. I love my cardio and love my strength training. For women, as we age it is very important to include strength training into our routine. Keeps our bones healthy and our bodies young.

Thanks for all the responses! Did not quite expect so many, but all good...... Seems like there is general concensus that a balance is good, so I will keep on doing what I'm doing...

:flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I actually burn more doing weight lifting. I also run a 5k in 27:07 and the mile in 7:10. What is your point? Why would I be lazy? I spend 2 hours a day in the gym during weekdays and 3-4 hours on the weekend working out and I wear a HRM which shows my calories burned is more in weightlifting than cardio. Sound like you're lazy looking for the easy button. I do a half hour of fat burning cardio per workout during the week with a 1.5 hour of cardio on the weekend. You assume to know too much.....

I know very little about HRM, but an MFP member with a very muscley profile pic once posted that HRM doesn't measure correctly for lifting.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options

This has been answered multiple times in this thread already.

Essentially skinny fat is being a healthy weight but having a high BF%, usually do to very little muscle.

Yeah but I didn't feel like reading 14 pages of rant just to know what skinny fat is. But thanks for the answer
  • stephen_jones
    Options
    if you want a body like a marathon runner,run long distance.if you want to look as ripped as usain bolt,sprint,simple really
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I actually burn more doing weight lifting. I also run a 5k in 27:07 and the mile in 7:10. What is your point? Why would I be lazy? I spend 2 hours a day in the gym during weekdays and 3-4 hours on the weekend working out and I wear a HRM which shows my calories burned is more in weightlifting than cardio. Sound like you're lazy looking for the easy button. I do a half hour of fat burning cardio per workout during the week with a 1.5 hour of cardio on the weekend. You assume to know too much.....

I know very little about HRM, but an MFP member with a very muscley profile pic once posted that HRM doesn't measure correctly for lifting.

This is correct and the reason for it is that your HR is elevated due to different physiological responses then with steady state cardio. HRM's have a build in calculation that assumes a certain oxygen uptake that just doesn't happen the same with strength training. If you paused between sets the estimate would be better, but the oxygen uptake part of the calculation would still be incorrect.

That being said, during recovery from strength training your metabolism may stay higher for up to 48 hours, with cardio you are lucky to get more than 1-2 hours.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I say do what you want, its ultimate up to what you want.

I personally am not a fan of any cardio even though its good for the heart. The 1 piece of cardio equipment I can stand is the Arc trainer. I hate the treadmill and elliptical. Now that I'm moving somewhere with bike trails I might do some bike riding.

I like lifting weights 5 days a week. On occasion I get in a spurt where I walk my dog a few times a week for a few weeks in a row and then stop.

I prefer lifting.
    If cardio is so good for the heart (the more the better) then why do so many marathon runners die from heart attacks in their 20s and 30s? Why does a marathon runner's heart swell up and take about three months to get back to normal size?
    I don't think excessive cardio is good for the heart at all.

I think this says a lot right here. "I don't think excessive cardio is good for the heart at all." I totally agree with that and I think that is part of the point that people are trying to make in the "cardio bashing" threads. That being said, I still think that cardio is good for the heart, but I don't think I need to run for hours and hours a day to get those benefits. 20-30 minutes a few times a week, will work my heart and give it recovery time too. This is exactly how I treat strength training. I only lift a few day a week. I work out and make sure I give my muscles a chance to repair before I work them out again
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think MFP consists of two extremes Cardio people vs Strength people. Each side seems to like bashing the other. I dont know if its people just following fads or just a lack of education from both sides. There is pros and cons to each. At the end of the day it comes down to GENETICS! What works for some doesnt mean it works for others. But it is smarter to do both.
    I learned in my fitness certification course that to see an improvement in strength you only need to strength train twice a week for 20 minutes. Honestly! I had no clue about this but knowing this now I use it as a guide that I must do atleast this amount every week anything extra is just gravy.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

This is correct and the reason for it is that your HR is elevated due to different physiological responses then with steady state cardio. HRM's have a build in calculation that assumes a certain oxygen uptake that just doesn't happen the same with strength training. If you paused between sets the estimate would be better, but the oxygen uptake part of the calculation would still be incorrect.

That being said, during recovery from strength training your metabolism may stay higher for up to 48 hours, with cardio you are lucky to get more than 1-2 hours.

I also do super sets and calisthenics in part of my workout. Where I'm breathing heavy and breaking sweat as much as I do in cardio training. I point is fitness has taken a new road where you do more for your health than we use to do. Incorporate all of these things like cross fit training. Lifting, cardio, calisthenics and nutrition is the new road. No bashing of cardio just a new direction.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Some cardio is good. Too much isn't.

Well, sure. But the same is true of any exercise. Overtraining is not limited to cardo.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Strength Training is what I do. I like me cardio.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I think MFP consists of two extremes Cardio people vs Strength people. Each side seems to like bashing the other. I dont know if its people just following fads or just a lack of education from both sides. There is pros and cons to each. At the end of the day it comes down to GENETICS! What works for some doesnt mean it works for others. But it is smarter to do both.
    I learned in my fitness certification course that to see an improvement in strength you only need to strength train twice a week for 20 minutes. Honestly! I had no clue about this but knowing this now I use it as a guide that I must do atleast this amount every week anything extra is just gravy.

I would say 3 extremes, 3rd being incorporate all cardio, weightlifting and calisthenics.
  • bcattoes
    Options

There was a controlled study published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise in 2011, where 100% of the participants showed a significant afterburn (increased metabolism) after 45 min of intense aerobic exercise (spinning). The average length of the afterburn was 14 hrs.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Edited because I cannot brain today for I have the dumb.

Oh my...I just lauhed and laughed - thank you!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a swear word, but when someone posts GOALS that are not conducive to a cardio routine, then why shouldn't someone say "You need to lift heavy to attain that goal." Most often i see people stating that people should do heavy lifting when they say "I want to tone up". So why is this swearing cardio? It isn't like people are saying "I'd like to run a half marathon. Where do I start?" and people are telling them "Don't do cardio--you need to do heavy lifting." Cardio, diet and lifting ALL have a place in the trifecta of HEALTH. Some people use the trifecta differently than others. It all depends on the ultimate goals we as individuals have.