Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read the whole debate. I know what both sides will say pretty much. As much as I like lifting, not doing cardio is pretty stupid unless you're on a bulk and really have trouble eating enough calories. There are proven mental and cardiovascular health benefits to it.

I can't find the quote by Jim Wendler, but he said verbatim: "When I was over 300 pounds, I was strong, but in terrible shape. All I could do was wobble up to a monolift to squat."
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to the cardio haters. I'd rather be able to breathe better and run faster and longer than looking like I can punch a grown man in the face. Maybe I'm more of a flight vs fight kind of person.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to the cardio haters. I'd rather be able to breathe better and run faster and longer than looking like I can punch a grown man in the face. Maybe I'm more of a flight vs fight kind of person.

I'd rather be able to punch a grown man in the face and then run away.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    CARDIO ROCKS FOR ME!!
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

I'd rather be able to punch a grown man in the face and then run away.
    :flowerforyou:
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Really?? 13 pages of posts arguing about cardio vs. strength—like there's ANY argument for not incorporating some level of both? What a waste of pixels.
  • Meiplé
    Meiplé Posts: 50
    Options
    Really?? 13 pages of posts arguing about cardio vs. strength—like there's ANY argument for not incorporating some level of both? What a waste of pixels.

*applause* absolutely no reason for this to go past one page. and for the record, i have never ever heard anyone say do not do cardio
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

:laugh: I hope I never have to punch anyone, but if the occasion arose a good kick will bring a man down faster than a punch any day. And after that kick there will be a need to run fast and far.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Me bored..........sorry.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like lifting weights 5 days a week. On occasion I get in a spurt where I walk my dog a few times a week for a few weeks in a row and then stop.

Ha ha, this sounds like me! I lift 3 days a week and my poor dogs get that same random walking. Oh well.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

:laugh: I hope I never have to punch anyone, but if the occasion arose a good kick will bring a man down faster than a punch any day. And after that kick there will be a need to run fast and far.
    I'm good at kicking, since I'm 5'1" and the male face is far out of reach :laugh: No point trying to prove something when you can save your own *kitten* and then rant about it online like most people do...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Google "chronic cardio".

Found lots of bro-science sites but not much credible research, perhaps you could point me to scientific research.

Some cardio is good. Too much isn't.

Define too much (and the underlying research that supports your assertion)
    Just not more than 30m a session as that is when catabolism of muscles start.

I'm calling BS on that one.......
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Whatever I like cardio a lot better than strength. Right now I'm planning on doing cardio 3X a week and strength maybe 2...
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Haven't been through the entire thread.

Google "chronic cardio". There's a fine line between exercising hard and over exercising. Exercise is stress. The body will treat is as such. Too much stress isn't a good thing. Our bodies are subjected to enough stress just trying to get through each day.

When you exercise you are weakening the body (breaking it down). All gains happen during rest/recovery.

And your cardiovascular system benefits just as much, if not more, from resistance training. Try doing back to back sets of reps. I can do 6 squats with heavy barbell (only 45lbs - I just started squats with weights). I do two sets back to back and I'm already out of breath and sweating. And it only took a few minutes.

Some cardio is good. Too much isn't.

I see what you did here, you dropped Paleo diet stuff in there ;) I googled it and 6 out of 10 sites were all Paleo-Pro diet pages...and one "low-carb" site.... naughty naughty...
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm not knocking strength training, I do it, but I know a few things for certain:

1. It doesn't have to involve weights.
    2. The younger you are, the less you can get away with doing and still look good. (young = naturally firmer, me = old)
    3. I have lived more than half a century doing mostly cardio, at times only cardio, and I have remained completely healthy (no diagnoses, no meds, no syndroms, rarely overweight, etc.) despite coming from a history of heart and vasular disease on both my mother and father's side of the family, and diabetes on my mothers.
    4. I still look good naked. Not as good as I did when I was 30, but good.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my cardio days, best place to see growth in how fit your body is. On the flip side though it compliments my lifting days. I do three days of each per week alternating days with Saturdays off. Works well for me
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I think for many people, eating healthy and weight lifting is "easier" than cardio. I personally love cardio because I am a smoker and I can feel it pulling the nicotiene out of my body. Plus I am trying to become more lean, and I know this is the core to my workout to get the body I want. I also do a lot of pilates exerises to tone certain areas, but I wouldn't look the way I do now if it weren't for cardio.

I love and do both cardio and lifting. In no way is *heavy* lifting easier than cardio! I think everyone just has their preferences. As I stated I love both and both have equal but very different purposes in my life!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not knocking strength training, I do it, but I know a few things for certain:

2. The younger you are, the less you can get away with doing and still look good. (young = naturally firmer, me = old)
    3. I have lived more than half a century doing mostly cardio, at times only cardio, and I have remained completely healthy (no diagnoses, no meds, no syndroms, rarely overweight, etc.) despite coming from a history of heart and vasular disease on both my mother and father's side of the family, and diabetes on my mothers.

What would be better to combat age related sarcopenia, cardio or strength training?
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Strength training is for conditioning my body and I value it a lot, but cardio is for:

- conditioning my heart so I don't drop dead at 30 from a heart attack (heart disease is a big killer in my family, so throwing obesity into the mix doesn't help things)
    - ex-smoker and borderline asthmatic here, 'nuff said.
    - keeping me from going crazy. I love to dance, so doing Zumba classes make me happy. I love to hike and climb things and I don't even remember that I'm doing it as a "cardio exercise"

That being said, I like to make efficient use of my time when I am doing cardio for a workout, so I'm all about the HIIT. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the rare people looking to lose weight without becoming a marathon runner, endurance cardio is just not for me at all.
  • bcattoes
    Options

What would be better to combat age related sarcopenia, cardio or strength training?

If only one was allowed? Strength. Like I said, I'm not knocking strength training. I do it, more now that I am aging than I used to. And this is why. Luckily I can do both and more.